Mazzone 5 link

Acme Rocket

Hello. I'm new to the group. I'm looking for a Mazzone mid engine car. I found one with IRS rear suspension. I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen this setup or has any insight to how it performs. It's not a car I intend on jumping. But I do see potential to bottom out suspension and possibly bend or break links. I am in Oregon and out hills up here tend to get a series of whoops at the bottom of the hill or sometimes all the way up the hill. This is where I see potental to have problems. In general how well does a Mazzone handle this type of terrain. Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks Seth 

IMG_5624.JPG

Looks nice. That style of car is limited in travel which limits your speed over the whoops. You will have fun though. The suspension style has been around for some time and works well. Much better than the same car with swing axle. My only concern is the upper shock mount. That is where all the bottom outs will transmit force. I don't see any gusseting in the pic. I'm no expert though, just seen things over the years. I also like coil over shocks better. Those air shocks will work but if they leak, the car squats at rest. I do like the Rhino case on that T1 trans. I would also check to see if the shifter assembly sticking out the back doesn't extend passed the tires. Don't want to drag it if you wheelie over a lip on power. Just my 2 cents. Back in the day, that was a high end setup. 

Thanks guy I'm really having a hard time finding information. I actually thought about contacting you Neal. I've seen allot the pictures you take you have some awesome shots. I agree on the coil overs as well as upper shock bolt. that appears to be the weak link. Neal you have seen the cars in action. If I were to put coil overs on it how do you think it would compare to stock VW beam type and torsion bar suspension? I know this question has many different factors but what's your guys best educated guess? My current car rides fairly nice. Its defiantly not a ball of fire over the rough stuff and I'm good with that. My main concern is that I don't want to take a step backwards in ride quality. I think the travel between my car and this one is comparable. By my logic I just need to get a shock with a spring rate to utilize all of the travel. Is that logical?

Thanks Seth

I don't know what you are driving now or before this but as long as you understand the limitations of the basic VW style suspension, you will have fun. It's a light car and as long as the engine is larger than 1600, you should get anywhere in the dunes. It looks like it has a small a-arm setup up front. A-arms are usually smoother but a beam is much stronger. Most have the beam in stock configuration which makes it a stiff ride. In my experience, those air shocks are usually setup stiff to control the bottoming out and is usually a stiff ride. Coilovers give you back control since you can set compression and rebound. When you only have 8 to 10 inches of travel, ya gotta make the best of it. My guess is if this car is in your price range and you like it, budget a little more for upgrades or personal tweeks. I had an old 2 seater vw style years ago and had a blast. Wasn't this nice either. Plus, you can take it out in the desert too. But to answer your question, the rear on this one looks like it would function better than a stock IRS with spring plates. The front is hard to see but beam fronts are strong but usually stiff and limited in travel (in stock form). A-arms are lighter and a smoother ride for the most part. Sounds like a test ride is in order. And, Thank you, glad you like my photos!

I do understand the limitations. I'm also going into knowing I will have to most likely change shocks and possibly rear shock location.  The car I have now tends to bounce a lot in front. It probably needs a better shock to keep the front under control. My main concern is that it's a fairly reliable trouble free rear suspension and that I can get it to ride as nice as my current set up. I just don't want to beat my guts out or hurt suspension by bottoming out. I'll post a better pic of the car. 

Thanks for the help. It's very much appreciated. 

IMG_5617.PNG

Looks nice from the front also. The a arms should be a nice upgrade from the beam car. Your current car looks nice too. Guess I have a soft spot for the older rails. Mine was built in the early 90's so it's getting into the old school club I guess.

Unfortunately I missed out on this particular Mazzone. That's ok though because I've learned a lot. Now I wont be so afraid to jump on the next one. I like the older cars cars as well. Its what I grew up around. Thanks again for the help.