For those who rode Dumont in the 90's

Race Blakhart

Hey everyone, I'm new here, and it's been just over 20 years since I last visited Dumont Dunes and the beautiful Armagosa "river". I am 37 now, and I am disabled due to a hit and run that left me unable to walk on my own anymore. 

Since I can't really live the life I want to these days, I tend to hunt down as much nostalgia as I can. This is a piece of my younger years that I almost feel is impossible to locate, but hopefully someone here can help. 

I used to go with my dad and stepmom, usually for a week at a time. We went on nearly all the holidays, the sand drags, etc.

I remember there was always a guy there, selling shirts, hoodies, hats, etc out of his trailer.

He usually had some outdated or funny/random shirts and hats for really cheap, too(i.e.  I remember a hat that said "sex after 60 is like shooting pool with a rope")

I always looked forward to getting a shirt or hoodie to commemorate that trip to Dumont.

Those shirts/hoodies I collected have long since vanished. But I know there are more of them out there in the world somewhere. I remember how awesome those new years hoodies were every year. He always had some great stuff on Thanksgiving, too. 

I just wish I knew who the guy was, and if he was still around. 

I am sorry that some moronic person left you and you are disabled.  Same thing happened to my cousin about 10 yrs ago.  He is paralyzed from about

chest level on down.  He was and is still now riding the dunes in his Artic Cat 1000.  After his accident he spent many months and months in Denver

doing rehab and learning how to live again.  Long story short is that they have available options for sxs to fit on a kit where you can drive a sxs by using

hands only...hands control steering, brakes and gas petal.  We go to dunes and the mountains all the time and it is a kick in the butt for him as it used to be.

So if you still miss driving your own car in the dunes it is possible--I would be assuming you have use of hands and arms. 

Food for thought if possible for you. 

The Official T-shirt folks are still out there from back then.

I don't know how to contact them.  But they have lots of there old shirts that they sale out of boxes on tables at the dunes.  Don't know if they have any that far back..

I was thinking the same thing as foolsofsand.....  That is always an option to get you back out there.

IrnBear

Well, I actually do have the use of my legs as well, but they won't support me and are pretty useless as far as walking goes. But I could probably ride a quad, if I could afford one again. That's the real problem. Aside from needing forearm crutches or wheelchairs to get around, I have no income whatsoever. 

I am still being denied for disability, over 5 years after the hit and run. So I've moved back in with my mom, who is fighting breast cancer and Parkinson's disease. I started a gofundme to try and help her, but it pretty much flopped out after a few months.

I had to sell my Nomad 1500, my car, and almost everything of any value that I own, just to get by. I was also a working musician on my days off from my full time job with a private police/prisoner transport operation out of Sacramento. So I don't get to perform anymore either. Though I feel I'm getting to a place where I may start trying to hit some open mic nights sometime soon. 

I don't know if I'll ever be able to afford another quad. I've had some awesome ones over the years. Started with a Yamaha Champ 100cc in the mid 80s, then switched to a modified Suzuki when I started racing flattrack(I actually raced with Ricky Carmichael for several years as kids, before he switched to motocross), then I switched to an awesome 89 Blaster which my dad had rebuilt by Curtis Sparks(the 80cc was also a Sparks creation). 

I also spent a lot of time racing my dad's 350cc Warrior which had a 440 stroker kit from Curtis on it. That thing was a monster. But that Blaster...I could get enough air on that thing to make the dirt bike guys take note lol

As far as the tshirt guy goes, maybe I could find someone who's going on thanksgiving to give him my contact info. I'd sure love to see what he has in storage. It'd probably bring tears of joy to my eyes of I could find any of those 90's hoodies in a xxl lol