Portable generators

dunefreak

Been looking at buying a Honda 2200 generator this season but then I just saw these yesterday. Lowes now offers a new model Craftsman 2200 that looks very similar. The specs are almost identical but it's considerably less money. These get amazing reviews too.

They have a 3000 too, but I don't think I need that much. Does everyone who runs a Honda 2000 feel it's enough? I've run my microwave off of a 2000 before so that's why I think it'll do.

They both have Generac engines. 

IMG_20181014_124027754.jpg IMG_20181014_124034414.jpg

I think you'd be fine until you wanted to run your main AC. A friend of mine bought 2 of the harbor freight versions of those to stack. He runs them for days non stop and they do great. 

That Generac is even cheaper than the harbor freight version.

27 minutes ago, DuNe~Rydher said:

That Generac is even cheaper than the harbor freight version.

I know right. Crazy huh! It's on sale so I think I'm gonna snatch one up. 

I hardly ever use the AC so I wouldn't worry about that. 

Glad I snatched it up when I did. It was $445 with free shipping this morning. Now it's listed at $465 + $30 shipping. https://amzn.to/2COJbUs

I knew it was a good deal when I saw it at that price. :MBdance:

Ever used camelcamelcamel.com? Pretty handy website to gauge price trends of an amazon product. Just plug in the url and it tells you the highest, lowest and average price it has been listed at. It has helped me save tons. 

• Like 2

• dunefreak changed the title to Portable generators

I have the Yamaha 2400IS. About 8+ hours on a gallon.

Have over 1800 hours on it and it still runs like the day I brought it home with nothing but oil changes, spark arrester cleaning, and one fresh plug and air cleaner service. 

It's quieter than the Honda  (59db), it's darn near silent. (54db Yamaha)  has a separate fuel shutoff so I can run it out of fuel and a metal timing chain & cam. 

Has NEVER failed to start first pull or complained about heat/cold.

Can run many different A/C units with a $20.00 hard start kit installed. It's all in the startup. But I don't use it for that. If I gotta run A/C I fire up the Onan. 

My last RV had a Coleman Mach 3 POWER Saver 13.5K BTU Air Conditioner. Best A/C unit I ever had. It only draws 10 amps yet was colder than the Carrier I have now. The Yammy (16 amp rating) ran that 10 amp Coleman no problem!

Next year I may change ours out for the Coleman. 

Coleman Mach III 

http://www.dyersonline.com/coleman-mach-3-power-saver-13-5k-btu-air-conditioner-in-arctic-white.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9ZDeBRD9ARIsAMbAmoZHdG4sLBS2o9vBK4tAkcuHvdYHFcoFZ2OQ_KTn_g_1CqTHmzI3GH8aAlU7EALw_wcB

When I get to Dumont, she gets fired up and doesn't get shut down till we leave. It can draw from a 5 gallon can.

It will run everything easily except the A/C. 

I know this is a novel, but to me the generator is Soooo important. 

When it comes to generators, I honestly believe you get what you pay for. The Yamaha & Honda will run trouble-free for thousands of hours with no "fiddling" around. When I'm camping, the last thing I wanna fool around with is a generator. 

• Like 2

Yeah, for that price, can't really go wrong.

I forgot to add, the Yamaha also has a fuel gauge. 

When the Honda came out, it changed the generator industry. Yamaha came out later and squarely targeted the Honda. Yamaha made sure to add features the Honda didn't have. They gave it a few extra amps, a couple decibels quieter, a couple pounds lighter, a fuel shutoff & gauge ect.

Competition gives us some amazing products to choose from.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, dunefreak said:

Great info. Thanks! We'll see how the Generac 2200 does. It gets reviews that match your experience with the Yamaha. For the price I don't think I can go wrong. It costs about the price of a dune trip or less. 

Damn!!! Must be the race gas! Lol.

On 10/15/2018 at 2:40 PM, dunefreak said:

Glad I snatched it up when I did. It was $445 with free shipping this morning. Now it's listed at $465 + $30 shipping. https://amzn.to/2COJbUs

I knew it was a good deal when I saw it at that price.

Well this might have been too good to be true. Amazon and the tracking shows it was delivered, but to Santa Paula, CA US. I live in Henderson, NV. :dope:

I contacted the seller on Thursday and haven't heard anything back yet. I have to wait about one more business day before I can ask for a refund or dispute the charges. I don't want a refund. I want my damn generator.

On 10/21/2018 at 9:29 AM, dunefreak said:

Well this might have been too good to be true. Amazon and the tracking shows it was delivered, but to Santa Paula, CA US. I live in Henderson, NV. :dope:

I contacted the seller on Thursday and haven't heard anything back yet. I have to wait about one more business day before I can ask for a refund or dispute the charges. I don't want a refund. I want my damn generator.

Hey I’m 10 mins from Santa Paula.

hope you get your generator!

• Thumbs Down 1

Unfortunately no. "This generator" never existed. The seller turned out to be a scammer on amazon. I thought Amazon was better than that. Waiting on my refund now through Amazon and if it doesn't go through I'm disputing the charges on my credit card. I even looked on the seller's reputation and it showed mostly positive before I bough the generator. They must have scammed quickly because now look at their reviews... https://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=0&isCBA=&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&orderID=111-7463027-9548204&seller=AO3NU5KU1FL96&tab=&vasStoreID=

• Angry 1

Just serviced my Yamaha yesterday for the trip. Hour meter, 1847 and still runs like the day I bought it. 

Considering how trouble free and the amount of hours, I'd say it's cheap. 

I'm curious if the less expensive ones will survive to see 500 hours.

I really don't know, it would be a good test. 

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:24 PM, dunefreak said:

Agreed, but I can buy two of the Generacs for that price. Well, that is if they ship them to me. LOL 

Pete, this and a few more are in the Las Vegas Craigslist https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/tls/d/generator-for-sale-honda-em/6734761820.html a Honda EM3500X asking $420. Or an inverter + Costco golf cart batteries and 100Watt Grape solar panels at Home Depot for $94.99 each ($50.50 off) that I paid $129 each years ago, no buying gas, no refueling at 2 am, no tune-ups...... and those little Yamaha 2200 generators run forever and are fuel efficient. The generators name mimics their sound... Hondaaaa, Yamahaaaa, GeneraAAACCCC {;o)

00G0G_atr9krGagUJ_600x450.jpg