Meat smokers anyone use one?

Dive Bar Casanova

We were at the Whispering Pines Campground in South Dakota and had trouble locating decent riding trails. 

Nothing good we could find on the maps and the Polaris trail guide app sucked too. (I know we roll with a Can Am). 

I went to the campground bar and grill while the wife slept in the RV. 

A couple rolled up in a Rzr 800 and sat at the bar. 

I asked them if they knew of any fun runs. 

They told me they are always asked that when they sit at the bar. 

,,,,,, and,, yes they do and why don’t we join them the next day on a group run. 

Avenza is Da kine’ off road app they showed us. Yep it’s excellent and it’s free. 

The next day we joined them headed out to the Galina off road trails area that is excellent. 

Included in the area is Sturgis and Deadwood. 

OK to get on the subject: We invited everyone in the group over for back ribs and DUMONT Dunes Rice. 

I used to broil the ribs upside down then dip in sauce and throw them in the crockpot for 4 hours. Not bad. 

Well, the couple offered to smoke them and I took them up on it. 

Wow what a difference. Cherry and Apple wood took it all to the next level. 

Sold me on smokers. 

Got home and bought the Red Box, portable, counter flow smoker. 

A1981624-BCC9-49E5-B61E-7FF4F7EFEAB5.thumb.jpeg.c11cdaa6bc393975c0b7e57edf50e0ea.jpegDE1237A9-4F37-4453-9538-8177600224D4.thumb.jpeg.a458a55fa3eac018991edbfcdfa383de.jpeg

Works great. 

Did some Tri tips too and found Mesquite too strong. I’m doing it wrong maybe. Oak, pecan and apple seems to work better. 

Anyone else use a smoker? 

Any tips, tales or takes? 

Edited by Dive Bar Casanova

Smoking is fun and addictive! 

Buy yourself a good thermometer so you can keep track of meat temp and smoker temp from anywhere. Very useful when smoking a pork butt overnight for example. You can monitor from bed. Maverick is a good brand but there are others. 

Cherry is great for pork, I mix it with something other than fruit wood, like mesquite. 

Twin packs of pork shoulder from Costco can feed an army for less than $30, and super easy.

I've moved onto the electric pellet smokers, the set it and forget it style is pretty nice. 

Try reverse searing your next trip tip. I like mine med rare so I'll smoke it to about 100 to 105, and throw it on a 600+ degree grill to sear it until finished. 

Just experiment and have fun! 

Screenshot_20181105-100109.png

Edited by DuNe~Rydher
Pic added
  • Like 1

I am the meat smoker in my house! I just graduated from the old watch it all day add wood all day smoker to a Pit Boss pellet smoker. Not as fancy as a Treager, but works just the same. I love it! I picked up a digital and blue tooth meat thermometer link to a similar one ----> Blue Tooth Meat Thermometer Smoking meat is totally addicting! I wish I could get one of those table top smokers to smoke meat in the dunes. Just a bit out of my current paycheck range.

I have done many pork butts over night! That's how my ride got her name... LOL! Pork Butt! Just beating everyone to the Canned Ham joke, since I was the first in our camp with a Can Am (before the X3 came out). 

I just recently did 16 pounds of Pork Butt on the pellet stove, first big cook on it. That sold it for me! I grabbed the bone and it just fell apart... PERFECTION! 🤤

• Like 1

On 11/5/2018 at 10:55 AM, Dive Bar Casanova said:

Smoke Pork Butt overnight? 

Do I ever want to try that. 

Thanks for the tips. 

I’ll get one of those thermometers too. 

The Trager pellet  is fantastic. 

Yep. Throw them in around 10pm. Smoke em for 12 or so hours, + or - depending on size of butt and weather. I usually take them out around 160, put them in a tin with some apple juice, wrap it up good and put it back in until around 206. (You don't have to wrap, try it both ways) Pull it out, wrap it up in tin foil, wrap that in a towel, and put in a cooler to rest for an hour. I've kept 2 butts wrapped like that for 4+ hrs for a party because I timed it wrong. When I pulled them they were still pipin hot. 

Should be able to pull the bone out and shred it all by hand. Yum yum yum.

Make a good vinager based finishing sauce to.

Lots of good stuff to read on smokingmeatforum. 

My next smoker will be a camp chef pellet smoker with a sear station.

• Like 1