Good Radiator advise needed.

2001 GMC 2500 HD 8.1 HD gas. 

Stock radiator lasted 15 years 160.000 miles. 

Then the integrated trans cooler leaked and the complete radiator was replaced with what’s known as the best out there. 

Can’t get the replacement radiators to last 6 months. 

Any solutions out there? 

Anyone make a decent radiator? 

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the same issue with aftermarket radiators on my truck.  Make sure the rubber mounts on the top and bottom of the radiator are still good and soft (to absorb vibration).  Even then, aftermarket radiators may only last that long.  A full aluminum construction unit would be your strongest.  However if you have to stick with stock replacement, KOYO does pretty well for trucks.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2018 at 5:18 PM, aseman said:

I've had the same issue with aftermarket radiators on my truck.  Make sure the rubber mounts on the top and bottom of the radiator are still good and soft (to absorb vibration).  Even then, aftermarket radiators may only last that long.  A full aluminum construction unit would be your strongest.  However if you have to stick with stock replacement, KOYO does pretty well for trucks.

Thanks for the tip.

The GM radiator was 3 times the cost but definitely more robust construction.

Other owners I know got over 260K miles out of their 8.1's and Allison's so It's worth the investment.

Of the many many people I know with Allisons only know of one that died at about 150.000 miles. A split race bearing separated. Rated towing 12.500 he's been towing way, way more than that the entire life of the truck. Chevy dealer in Laughlin service manager told me they've never seen a bad one.

Lucky to find any GM over the counter parts anymore. Got the last flip up center console avail in the USA. Truck has a rare bench front seat,, and leather at that.

We'll keep it another 100K and then it'll do river duty garaged then just launching and retrieving boats. Been the most amazing truck, it's been everywhere done brutal duty.

Those new 2019 GMC 6.2 4x4 1500's sure look nice.

Edited by Dive Bar Casanova
  • Like 1