Public Invited to Provide Input for OHV Grant Proposals

BLM public meetings to receive public input for the upcoming grant proposals for California State Parks, Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation (OHMVR) Division.

The BLM Barstow Field Office will host their meeting on Wednesday, February 13th from 4:30-6:00 p.m.  

daobBJsmfTm1NGkKZ8npKGz-tM3_ezecPaVB2FPg

News Release
California Desert District

For Immediate Release: January 29, 2019 CA-CDD-19-01

Public Invited to Provide Input for OHV Grant Proposals

MORENO VALLEY, Calif. - The Bureau of Land Management has scheduled the dates, times and locations of several public meetings to provide input in the development of off-highway vehicle (OHV) grant proposals for submission to the California State Parks, Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation (OHMVR) Division.  Proposed grant applications are currently being prepared by the BLM staff for the 2018/2019 grant cycle.

The OHMVR Division’s Grants and Cooperative Agreements Program supports well-managed, off-highway vehicle recreation in California by providing financial assistance to cities, counties, districts, federal agencies, state agencies, educational institutions, federally recognized Native American Tribes and nonprofit entities.

The BLM applies for grants from the California Department of Parks and Recreation OHMVR Division each year to help fund and coordinate its off-highway vehicle programs. The grants support OHV management activities such as law enforcement, resource protection, planning and monitoring, visitor services, and maintenance on BLM lands throughout the state.

Public scoping meetings will be held at the locations, dates and times listed below:

Tuesday, Feb. 12, from 2 – 4 p.m. and 6 – 8 p.m.

Palm Springs Field Office

1201 Bird Center Drive
Palm Springs, CA 92262

Wednesday, Feb. 13, from noon – 2:30 p.m.

El Centro Field Office

1661 South 4th St.
El Centro CA 92243

Wednesday, Feb. 13, from 4:30 – 6 p.m.

Needles Field Office

1303 S. Highway 95

Needles, CA 92363

Wednesday, Feb. 13, from 4:30 – 6 p.m.

Barstow Field Office

2601 Barstow Road

Barstow, CA 92311

Wednesday, Feb. 13, from 5 – 6 p.m.

Ridgecrest Field Office

300 South Richmond Road

Ridgecrest, CA 93555

Preliminary applications must be submitted to OHMVR Division no later than March 4.  Preliminary applications will be available on the OHMVR Division’s website at www.ohv.parks.ca.gov/, for additional public review and comment from March 5 through May 6.  The website will provide detailed instructions for accessing the preliminary applications and submitting comments.  Public comments should be submitted to both the OHMVR Division and to the appropriate BLM field office by May 6.

As stewards, the BLM manages public lands for the benefit of current and future generations, supporting conservation in pursuit of its multiple-use mission.

The BLM manages more than 245 million acres of public land located primarily in 12 Western states, including Alaska. The BLM also administers 700 million acres of sub-surface mineral estate throughout the nation. The agency’s mission is to sustain the health, diversity, and productivity of America’s public lands for the use and enjoyment of present and future generations. Diverse activities authorized on these lands generated $96 billion in sales of goods and services throughout the American economy in fiscal year 2017. These activities supported more than 468,000 jobs.

– BLM –

22835 Calle San Juan De Los Lagos, Moreno Valley, CA 92553

I have an idea. I'd like opinions please. 

I've been a road worker for most of my life. Because of that, I'm disgusted by the entrance road nine times out of ten that I drive on it. It seems to me, the entrance fees we pay do not (mostly) go back to Dumont. I can't see bathroom maintenance costing that much.

I have a couple ideas on how to improve the entrance road. Paving will cost millions, so that's probably not realistic. 

Chip sealing is MUCH cheaper than paving and might be an alternative. Even cheaper than that would be lignosulfonates.

Lignosulfonates are basically tree sap, a waste product of the paper industry. Can't have tree sap in paper! 

The lignosulfonates are suspended in a water solution and sprayed directly on a well graded prepared road. The water evaporates and leaves the "tree sap" behind. The sap binds the soil particles together stabilizing them. This mostly eliminates dust and prevents wash boards. The application lasts a few years and can be re-done with a grader using a special blade (button-bits) 

The re-application a few years down the road uses much less lignosulfonate since the original application mostly still remains. The second application lasts much longer.

From my experience, the EPA LOVES this stuff! It's water soluable and non-toxic and almost eliminates fugitive dust from dirt roads. WE might even be able to get a partial grant from the EPA. 

Being in the industry, I have some connections. I need some fairly accurate measurements for an estimate. 

Does this appeal to anyone? Do you not like this idea and want the road to remain as-is? 

I do understand roads act as filters. A poor road filters people out. 

Comments are welcome.

• Like 2

Sorry, I forgot to include some cost estimates. 

These prices are one mile long and 24 feet wide.

The price of the material is about $1500. It takes about 2500 gallons per mile and it costs around 60 cents per gallon. The hauling fee depends on the distance. 

A decent grader operator should be able to prepare the surface in 4 hours. A rubber tire roller is needed after the application to compact the prepared surface. Then several hours (depending on temperature) to dry. That's it! No more wash boards and no more dust. 

It's not that expensive and would GREATLY reduce the wear and tear on your RV. 

Edited by Svengoolie
  • Like 2

I love the idea. That's interesting stuff, thanks for all the details.  I cringe at the abuse my toy hauler takes every time I drive down that road.  Lets face it, we all know our toy haulers are built like sh*t, combine that with the washboard road and every time I get to camp I expect my cabinets to be on the ground.  I also don't really think the current state of the road filters anyone out.  If you are willing to drive out to the middle of no where to go off roading in dunes, i'm sure a dirt road isn't going to be the thing that stops you. I'd fully support this.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DuNe~Rydher said:

I love the idea. That's interesting stuff, thanks for all the details.  I cringe at the abuse my toy hauler takes every time I drive down that road.  Lets face it, we all know our toy haulers are built like sh*t, combine that with the washboard road and every time I get to camp I expect my cabinets to be on the ground.  I also don't really think the current state of the road filters anyone out.  If you are willing to drive out to the middle of no where to go off roading in dunes, i'm sure a dirt road isn't going to be the thing that stops you. I'd fully support this.

Yeah, I worry about my glued together "OAK" (artificially flavored) particle board cabinets!

And our (cheezy) "snap together" plumbing system. When I turn on the shower, I half expect water to start running down the hall. 

We may have paid big bucks, but in reality they are glued, stapled and taped together! Not to mention helping keep dust out of critical areas like slides, furnace and water heater.

I would like as many opinions as I can. I'm not in charge and don't want to go against what people want. Some people don't like change and I can respect that. Lots of people have "seniority" on me! 

I think it's a possibility. 

Benefits:

Low cost

Environmentally friendly, EPA approved

Reduces fugitive dust

Smooth road reduces wear on emergency equipment

No grader and operator or water truck needed on site

Much easier on RV's/ tires/ springs

This is one company I have worked with...

https://envirotechservices.com/dust-control-soil-stabilization/