Riding Regulations Near Camp

MxJunkie87

I wanted to bring this up, because it is a HUGE safety concern of mine. (I'll preface my statement by saying I pretty much only see this problem with SXS guys)

image.png.22b3aef8a32624992cb78f5f903fb62e.png

Over the weekend, we were sand blasted multiple times by guys in Side by Sides driving extremely aggressively no more than 30 feet from our camp. We weren't camped near a dune, or anything. We were right in the middle of the staging areas. We had cones setup, and people were racing past at 40, 50, and 60 MPH, while we're sitting around our camp fire. Really????  It's not like they were a football field away, they were only a few feet from our motorhome! This is a huge safety concern. Do these laws not apply at Dumont? Does anyone else experience this? If you're going to shred, can we not do it near camps?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, dunefreak said:

It is a law at Dumont and they can cite people for it, however I don't think they do very often. I see it every holiday weekend no matter what machine these camp racers are on. Drives me nuts as well. 

This was my first time camping at Dumont on a big weekend, so it really threw me off. Usually, we're down in Ocotillo Wells, and I haven't had as much of a problem down there. I'd rather see citations handed out for this than fireworks lol

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MxJunkie87 said:

This was my first time camping at Dumont on a big weekend, so it really threw me off. Usually, we're down in Ocotillo Wells, and I haven't had as much of a problem down there. I'd rather see citations handed out for this than fireworks lol

Slippery slope asking for enforcement. Avoid the big weekends till the economy slows a bit and the bank will own most of the side by sides you refer too. I would make contact whenever possible, just keep a cool head and be ready to walk away if you cant reason with them, not worth a major confrontation. Usually you will just get an apology.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, raspadoo said:

Slippery slope asking for enforcement. Avoid the big weekends till the economy slows a bit and the bank will own most of the side by sides you refer too. I would make contact whenever possible, just keep a cool head and be ready to walk away if you cant reason with them, not worth a major confrontation. Usually you will just get an apology.

I agree with this on all accounts. I don't want to see Dumont turn into glamis with regards to LEO aggression. I don't hesitate to make contact with these people and its usually at least once a trip, and it's usually kids or teenagers using the flats by the back ridge as a track to back and forth on...over...and over again. 

• Like 1

We usually camp right next to the ranger's station between that and vendor's row. We used to camp near the fingers and it was like camping next to I-15. By the ranger's station, we don't see too many people fly by (EXCEPT FOR RANGERS GOING 30+ WITHOUT THEIR LIGHTS ON, 20 FEET FROM THE BACK OF MY TOY HAULER).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, raspadoo said:

Spot on.

Most times walking over and having a conversation is enough for them to chill out near camp. We have kids, teens and dogs, hit one and I won't be very nice about it at all.

• Like 3