MYSTERY SAND DUNES, SOUTH OF BAKER

marbleous

I hear you on that one.

I wonder what the process would be to attempt to open them back up???

I hear that's next to impossible. Dumont was supposed to be left for us after the massive closures in the 70's (at least that's what I was told). Ibex.....Kelso and many others were lost.

Death Valley alone has at least 4 other sets of dunefields, besides Dumont, that are closed to OHV's.... :blink:

KELSO WAS CLOSED APPROX. 12 YEARS AGO BY THE INVIROS. DOWN THE ROAD A WAYS THERE IS RAZOR. FOLLOW THE WASH ROAD PAST THE HILLS ON THE RIGHT THERE IS A LITTLE SAND BUT NOT ENOUGH TO MAKE MUCH NOISE ABOUT. TRAILS ARE SO-SO

KELSO WAS CLOSED APPROX. 12 YEARS AGO BY THE INVIROS. DOWN THE ROAD A WAYS THERE IS RAZOR. FOLLOW THE WASH ROAD PAST THE HILLS ON THE RIGHT THERE IS A LITTLE SAND BUT NOT ENOUGH TO MAKE MUCH NOISE ABOUT. TRAILS ARE SO-SO

My source is telling me they were closed a lot sooner than 12 years ago:

1973 - Interim Critical Management Plan

1994 - Wilderness Designation, California Desert Protection Act

'94 was the final permanent closure........

Well everybody we all know where Dumont is, but has anybody driven south of Baker yes on I-15

just short of ZYZZX rd on the east side there seems to be these beatiful Virgin sand dunes. Has anybody ever ridden these dunes????? Rumors has it its 3X the size of Dumont, any info would be appreciated..

I know some people who actually named their kid that name :shocked::dunno: :rainbow1:

poor fella!!!

Edited by RICHARDCHEESE

My source is telling me they were closed a lot sooner than 12 years ago:

1973 - Interim Critical Management Plan

1994 - Wilderness Designation, California Desert Protection Act

'94 was the final permanent closure........

2006-1994= 12? :shocked:

Well everybody we all know where Dumont is, but has anybody driven south of Baker yes on I-15

just short of ZYZZX rd on the east side there seems to be these beatiful Virgin sand dunes. Has anybody ever ridden these dunes????? Rumors has it its 3X the size of Dumont, any info would be appreciated..

"

No, the dunes he is talking about is not Kelso dunes. Just of of the 15 frwy, "Kelso dunes are not off of the 15 frwy" there are some big dunes. Like he said near zzxxyyyyzzzxxx road.

MAN I WANT ME SOME OF THEM DUNES !!!!! WHY CANT WE LIE LIKE THE SIERRA CLUB AND GET THEM REOPEND

It may not be Kelso dunes but Kelso looks like a great place to ride!!

From my knowledge, the fine for trespassing on gov't/private property in CA is currently $250.00, and that's if the officer decides to ticket you. And of course if you get caught :D:P

I doubt you will get caught?? Since nobody rides there anymore, And if you do decide, it hasn't been a repetitive issue out there so you probably don't have much to worry about. B)

Just let me know how it goes!!!!!?

Edited by r6shee

Devil's Playground, north of Kelso Dunes has some sand. I think that is what you can see from I 15.

Eureka Dunes are even taller than Kelso. Closed too though. :chev_bowtie:

If you guys play around with Google Earth, I have placemarks for most all of the closed dunes (and open too). Google Earth on DuneGuide.com.

It's a great tool...I'm just a little disappointed in the clarity of Dumont. FlashEarth has better clarity in that area. However FlashEarth is a very "raw" piece of software and Google Earth is extremely refined.

You can even see the kiddie tracks at Glamis!!

• 2 weeks later...

.....I would never suggest breaking the law with the type of consequenses that may occur. However, if someone is going to venture out there to check them out, it may be smart to do it on a very cloudy day. That way any chance of being seen is very limited.

Peace.