Headed To Dumont for the Day.

Svengoolie

My Kid and I are headed to the "D" tomorrow. 

We'll take our old Jeeps with no AC. I'll record the air and sand temps. 

I'll post what changes to the sand that I find. 

Anyone is invited along although I don't expect any takers!

Check back for pics and temps! 

Starting to feel better. Definitely got overheated. Felt sick and had the shakes when we were leaving.

It was 120* at the South Pole and 122* at comp hill. Measured in the shade in the back of the Jeep. 

The sand temp was 166* at the South Pole. The sand has dark sand grains. Everywhere else it was in the 150's.

It was too hot for me to walk around much. I was wearing flip flops and the temps at ground level was burning my feet. 

The dunes were sharp with witch's eyes all over so we stayed out and just cruised around. I did go up Banshee hill. 

Lots of soft spots. 

20200719_142053.jpg

• Wow 1

My phone overheated and I had to keep it in the cooler. The cooler blew open and I didn't see it and everything melted and warmed up.

I thought I was well prepared but it didn't go as smoothly as expected. There was no sign of recent visitors. 

• Wow 1

Even though the Jeeps are about 30 years old, the radiator is custom and hand made so no temp problems. It's a typical 4.0 automatic with a 15K trans cooler.

20200713_194459_HDR.jpg

Edited by Svengoolie
  • Like 1

All three of us ended up a little sick from the heat. I was kind of dizzy and felt like I was going to barf. 

It's easy to see how people can die. We were RIDING in Jeeps and  had water and Gatorade (even though it was kinda warm)

Next time I do this I need to bring a better cooler with more ice. 

20200719_153008_HDR.jpg

Edited by Svengoolie
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing! It gets ridiculously hot out there. The sand holds and radiates so much heat from the sun. It's like being on another planet. Glad you guys didn't have any issues. Sucks about the north pole. We'll get it put back up if no one else does. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I also plan to visit Dumont next month if the surge in the pandemic subsides. It is still  too risky to go outside right now. I have things to do now on my garden, need to carry rocks and stones using Jackson wheelbarrow https://gardeningfacts.org/best-wheelbarrow/jackson-wheelbarrow-reviews/, to make it more clean.

Edited by Bevydot