Hit & run fatality Easter weekend

dunefreak

Late Friday night (around midnight/ 1 am) I saw lights on the face hill which looked like some sort of accident. Then not long after that two girls pulled up to our camp with a truck and empty flatbed trailer pretty distressed and crying. They were lost & looking for the dirt road to go meet the ambulance at the highway. They said someone was run over. I'm assuming in their group. We guided them out and they met up with the ambulance. Then the helicopter landed but left very quickly after touching down. The ambulance left fairly quickly too. I posted it on our Facebook page and some people in the comments confirmed the guy passed away. So sad to hear about this. Apparently it was a hit & run and the person driving never returned.  

It was also on the coroner's page.

On Saturday, April 3, 2021, at 12:36 PM, officers with the California Highway Patrol and San Bernardino County Fire Department personnel responded to the Dumont Dunes Recreation Area to investigate the report of a pedestrian being struck by an off-road vehicle. Upon arrival, Roman Jose Lugoaceves, a 47-year-old resident of Long Beach, was pronounced dead at the scene at 1:40 PM. The California Highway Patrol is investigating the incident. [04032021 1921 JL]

7 hours ago, IrnBear said:

This is sad to hear

But a pedestrian on the dunes?

I'm going to guess the coroner report has the times wrong AM vs PM.

Yeah I missed that. It was late at night (AM), not during the day. 

We were also wondering about the details and how this happened. They could have just been hanging out on the dune. ? It was close to camp. 

4 hours ago, dunefreak said:

Yeah I missed that. It was late at night (AM), not during the day. 

We were also wondering about the details and how this happened. They could have just been hanging out on the dune. ? It was close to camp. 

It was up on face hill. There was a sand car stuck up on the dune. We are assuming g he was stuck and walking down for help. We could see it from our camp. It’s so sad. Rest easy “Rambo”

15 hours ago, dunefreak said:

Late Friday night (around midnight/ 1 am) I saw lights on the face hill which looked like some sort of accident. Then not long after that two girls pulled up to our camp with a truck and empty flatbed trailer pretty distressed and crying. They were lost & looking for the dirt road to go meet the ambulance at the highway. They said someone was run over. I'm assuming in their group. We guided them out and they met up with the ambulance. Then the helicopter landed but left very quickly after touching down. The ambulance left fairly quickly too. I posted it on our Facebook page and some people in the comments confirmed the guy passed away. So sad to hear about this. Apparently it was a hit & run and the person driving never returned.  

It was also on the coroner's page.

On Saturday, April 3, 2021, at 12:36 PM, officers with the California Highway Patrol and San Bernardino County Fire Department personnel responded to the Dumont Dunes Recreation Area to investigate the report of a pedestrian being struck by an off-road vehicle. Upon arrival, Roman Jose Lugoaceves, a 47-year-old resident of Long Beach, was pronounced dead at the scene at 1:40 PM. The California Highway Patrol is investigating the incident. [04032021 1921 JL]

This is so sad. We could see the lights on face hill from our camp. The life light landed about 100 yards from our trailers. We knew something bad had happened and started praying. But when he left without a patient we knew. We couldnt believe what we were seeing. Thankyou for everyone who helped that circle of family and friends. The riding community is a family so we lost one of our own this weekend and it’s so sad. I pray for peace, comfort and healing during this time and that whoever hit him turns themselves in. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your support. Rambo is a very close friend of our family and I was there next to him as he passed. He is my Father in Laws best friend and a Uncle to my children. I’ve refrained from posting anything from the accident but I want to make sure the correct details are out there and for everyone to understand how tragic this has been.

This all took place April 3rd @ 12:30 am. A friend of ours got his truck stuck on top of face hill. Rambo being who he is, never said no to anyone to lend a hand. He was walking down face hill from the truck that was stuck to a RZR to pull it straight which was about 30 feet or so. As he was stepping down he was struck by another side by side. The driver of the other vehicle stopped and I’m guessing as it sunk in what just happened  he fled the scene. 

His Son and myself preformed CPR until the Paramedics got there but unfortunately it was too late. He left behind a Wife, 2 Sons, and 1 Daughter.

I can not describe the heart ache we have right now. I ask anyone and everyone if you have any info please contact the San Bernardino County Sheriffs Office so we can try to give our family justice for a life taken way too soon!

• Sad 3