Anyone know what happened?

dunefreak

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is someone to do. I see Kids and ADULTS doing this all of the time. Stop and ask them to stop spinning circles because the holes they leave behind KILL PEOPLE! They will tell you to F-off and race away. :north_pole: They act like they are on a Wave runner in the water. Except water goes flat again.

My suggestion is if you see any of these things. Stop and fill in in yourself. You could save a life maybe your own or one of your kids. I don't wanna die. Just my thought.

Kiddie Tracks may kill but its also a reminder to SLOW DOWN near camps or in camping areas... If he was cruising the 15mph speed limit to the dunes then i bet this never would have happen... Call me a hypocrit if you will but when around Heavily populated camping areas i usually slow down but i do have a tendency to pick up the pace when in not so populated areas... I have come very close to severly injuring myself in these damn kiddie tracks and try to make it a point to cruise slowly to the dunes where i can haul a$$.

Kiddie Tracks may kill but its also a reminder to SLOW DOWN near camps or in camping areas... If he was cruising the 15mph speed limit to the dunes then i bet this never would have happen... Call me a hypocrit if you will but when around Heavily populated camping areas i usually slow down but i do have a tendency to pick up the pace when in not so populated areas... I have come very close to severly injuring myself in these damn kiddie tracks and try to make it a point to cruise slowly to the dunes where i can haul a$$.

I hear ya....but last year when the camps left and we stayed an extra day there was no one around the kiddie track that I almost hit. Another in our group hit one in Amargosa and broke her wrist. Kiddie tracks kill and aren't part of the natural environment. Yes...you shouldn't ride beyond what you can see, but some of these tracks are dug in and not easily seen from a distance. I am all about leaving things better than they were when I arrived...like picking up the trash. Kiddie tracks at Glamis are so big you can see them in the satellite pics. :north_pole: That isn't leaving things the way you found them......

I hear ya....but last year when the camps left and we stayed an extra day there was no one around the kiddie track that I almost hit. Another in our group hit one in Amargosa and broke her wrist. Kiddie tracks kill and aren't part of the natural environment. Yes...you shouldn't ride beyond what you can see, but some of these tracks are dug in and not easily seen from a distance. I am all about leaving things better than they were when I arrived...like picking up the trash. Kiddie tracks at Glamis are so big you can see them in the satellite pics. :thumb: That isn't leaving things the way you found them......

I saw a kiddie track in glamis one time that was a good 5-6' deep. Looked like a mini nascar track...

I'm new here but if you don't mind, let me tell you another reason this man

may have died. When he hit the berm, it flipped him and the quad landed on his chest. It might not have been this bad if he was wearing a chest protector, do you think? He was my bosses neighbors grandson. The family is devastated. I have never been to Dumont Dunes. I will be there Thanksgiving weekend. I ride at Coral Pink and sand mountain. In our camp are young riders who dig out jumps. Thank you all for advising me of this danger. If a dig is made in my camp, I will personnly fill it in before we break camp. We do circle our group quite tight, so random riders should not be running through, but there will be no residue when we leave. Oh, BTW, I do not believe alcohol was involved either, but that is because I know the family. I wasn't there obviously, but I will question that call tommorow.

I'm new here but if you don't mind, let me tell you another reason this man

may have died. When he hit the berm, it flipped him and the quad landed on his chest. It might not have been this bad if he was wearing a chest protector, do you think? He was my bosses neighbors grandson. The family is devastated. I have never been to Dumont Dunes. I will be there Thanksgiving weekend. I ride at Coral Pink and sand mountain. In our camp are young riders who dig out jumps. Thank you all for advising me of this danger. If a dig is made in my camp, I will personnly fill it in before we break camp. We do circle our group quite tight, so random riders should not be running through, but there will be no residue when we leave. Oh, BTW, I do not believe alcohol was involved either, but that is because I know the family. I wasn't there obviously, but I will question that call tommorow.

Welcome to the site, Sam. :eatdrink021:

Alcohol or not..chest protector or not...those kiddie tracks can be dangerous even at the slowest of speeds. I always try to keep an eye out when hauling across the flats on a weekend where there aren't many people out there.

Next time I am out at Dumont I might recommend to Don (camp host) to run the blade over some of those things if they are out there if that is ok.

Not you, fool! :eatdrink021: :laughing::coocoo: The camp host near bathroom 10 that lives at Dumont for the fall/winter. You knew who I was talking about huh? :laughoff::thumb:

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NO! Sorry for the interuption. Please continue with your buisness as usual.

This interuption was brought to you exclusively by the DDR Jester. :laughing:

I also hit one of those at Dumont 2001. It was 2 or 3 days after a holiday weekend, my group were the only ones there and I was goin across the flats on a blaster wide open and didn't see it til it was 5' in front of me. I did a superman w/o the bike and ended up breaking my collar bone. Got a ride back to Vegas from the kind folks at the Baker Ambulance service. Bein out of work for 2 months $uck$ but the morphine was wild.

Edited by vegasandy

I also hit one of those at Dumont 2001. It was 2 or 3 days after a holiday weekend, my group were the only ones there and I was goin across the flats on a blaster wide open and didn't see it til it was 5' in front of me. I did a superman w/o the bike and ended up breaking my collar bone. Got a ride back to Vegas from the kind folks at the Baker Ambulance service. Bein out of work for 2 months $uck$ but the morphine was wild.

You were on a Blaster? :eatdrink021:

My thoughts are with the family. I am new to the site and learn something evertime I am on this site. Thank you guys for making the time spent out in the dunes more safe. Also to the young man that knows the family please have a safe Thanksgiving weekend out at the dunes. Be safe.

From the thread on DSD it looks like the rider hit a burm from a kiddie track! :laughing: :eatdrink021: It's very sad to see how somebody else's ignorance and neglect can cause a death to someone else. If you have kids and they make a kiddie track that causes these worm holes/ burms/ holes/ etc...PLEASE LEVEL THEM OUT BEFORE YOU LEAVE! They are extremely dangerous and can obviously kill a rider that comes up on them.

On Saturday, I noticed that exact burm of sand that the guy was talking about when I drove across the flats in my car. The thing was a huge hole and then a big embankment of sand. I thought to myself, damn that looks dangerous. Sad to see it claimed a life and could have been prevented. :(

actually, these figure 8's, whatever you want to call them, they are illegal...the rangers are suppose to stop you and ticket you if your kids are making them...but the rangers sit there with their thumb up their a$$

So how should they defiine making them? What if it's already there and my kids happen upon it and start riding it?

What about the people that get stuck and leave a hole or something. Are they supposed to go back and fill everything in after they get towed out? The bump at the bottom of comp isn't a naturally occuring feature in the dunes either....after shooting up the hill should I go back down and level the bump out?

Seems to me there are some other important issues that the rangers should be watching out for...rather than watching for kids riding a berm track.

So how should they defiine making them? What if it's already there and my kids happen upon it and start riding it?

What about the people that get stuck and leave a hole or something. Are they supposed to go back and fill everything in after they get towed out? The bump at the bottom of comp isn't a naturally occuring feature in the dunes either....after shooting up the hill should I go back down and level the bump out?

Seems to me there are some other important issues that the rangers should be watching out for...rather than watching for kids riding a berm track.

I don't see that the rangers need to enforce it either, but it IS a common sense/ safety kinda thing to try and smooth onme out if it's near or in your camp. If there is already one there when you pull up and your kids ride it, great...but try and at least smooth it out a little. I have pulled up to camp and there has been one or two in the past and ya know what?...I HAVE smoothed them out a little bit at least with a shovel. Rather than saying "well I didn't make it" and put the blame on someone else if there is an acccident, I I took care of it at the time because I felt it might prevent an injury in the future.

You can't compare the bumps in the dunes to unexpected kiddie tracks on the flats. For the most part, the flats are not going to have any giant holes or bumps that are not man-made. The dunes ARE. You have to be carefull of your surroundings no matter where you ride...the dunes, the flats, wherever. I can't see how the kiddie tracks should be something that needs to be ENFORCED, but people have to look out for themselves AND each other.

If they are illegal, why shouldnt the rangers enforce them? AS for your kids, if they ride upon it and you see it, you should stop them from riding it...the figure 8's are not naturally occuring so saying they are like the whoops at comp is comparing apples and oranges....a hole when you get stuck is a far cry from three foot high "bumps"....just my opinion

:laughing:

Unexpected kiddie track? If people expected a kiddie track or any other hazard....naturally occuring or otherwise....there wouldn't be a problem. :drinkbeer:

If my kids were in a kiddie track I'd probably run over and take pictures :drinkbeer: .....they are fun for the kids and they have a good time.

I've been riding/duning for 30 years. I grew up riding these tracks because our parents wanted to keep an eye on us....never had a problem back then.

My comparison of a kiddie track and the whoops and or bump is that neither is naturally occuring but yet everyone knows they are there. Ok so kiddie tracks change or move but ya know they are out there.

Not sure when it happened but at some point this sport turned from a great family thing we could all do to damn why are the kids involved.....and I mean legally too.

I swear some people act like they were never a kid. Most don't even realize the future of our sport is cruising around that little track learning how to ride.

And now the expected response is to fill in the track. Sorry didn't bring my Bobcat with me, but be careful cruising the flats at a safe speed until you get to the dunes and you'll be just fine.

K, you people have fun. Dune Safe!!!