Dumont Road Paving Project

dunefreak

Dumont Dunes Road  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on paving the Dumont Road?

• I'm very happy about it
    • I hate it
    • It doesn't matter to me

This topic seems to raise some concerns for some people, me included. Paving the road has always been a dream but also a nightmare. While our cabinets and suspension will last longer, will the better road bring more trash to Dumont? Hopefully not. I'm remaining positive and optimistic. It will definitely be weird cruising into Dumont after it's done. That 4 mile, washboard gravel road has been part of the Dumont experience for decades. 😆

I'm happy about it.

I think any negative side effects will only be sparse and temporary. It is going to be my goal to not allow my brain to "cherry pick" the inevitable negatives as reason to ruin a good day at the dunes.

Edited by G4NON
Clarification. Added: "I'm happy about it."
  • Like 1

I’ve never heard someone say they didn’t go to Dumont because of the road.  I don’t think paving will bring any meaningful negatives.  It’s not like Dumont is close to a highly populated area where people will just flock to Dumont because the road is paved.  Way too many positives for our vehicles and trailers longevity and reliability.   I’m excited about it!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Sandblower said:

I’ve never heard someone say they didn’t go to Dumont because of the road.  I don’t think paving will bring any meaningful negatives.  It’s not like Dumont is close to a highly populated area where people will just flock to Dumont because the road is paved.  Way too many positives for our vehicles and trailers longevity and reliability.   I’m excited about it!

Im with you on this, I dont really any more of a change in clientele than we have already experienced with holidays like Halloween.. 🤷‍♂️ 

In addition to the washboards, that fine dust gets into our refrigerator and furnace vents. Also the slide mechanisms. 

Can't be good for those. 

We can choose to visit Dumont on off-weekends should the crowds go too large. 

Most of the time, Dumont is pretty empty. 

Overall, this is a good thing. We can wash our equipment knowing it's not all in vain. 

However: I think more unknowing people in rental cars that like to explore, will be stuck in the dunes, especially in the summer. They'll see those inviting dunes in the distance and a pretty road leading to them. "Lets go check that out" as they are following Google maps to Vegas in the summer.  

I'm mostly excited about it. No more dust, no more destroying the truck and you hauler, no more low / zero visibility on the road, no more wasting water to water the road for dust. BUT, I am nervous for 2 things and those are:

1- the maintenance of the road. Will potholes be our new concern? Will potholes be our new obstacle course to avoid as those can flatten wheels. Is BLM going to be keeping up with the pavement and maintenance or will they contract out which would cause delays. I think eventually the price will go up for Dumont due to the maintenance.

2- people hauling a@@. People already do 50 down the road and it isn't even paved. I don't know how many times I am going 25 mph and I get passed like I'm standing still on the entrance road. I think the paving will be bringing more "oh this is so nice I get to Dumont faster now!" attitudes. 

Overall, I am genuinely excited about the paving and I think it is long overdue for how popular Dumont is along with the revenue it brings. One of our camps biggest complaint are 2 things: 1- road always is crap when we have to pay a good amount to enter with no amenities for us. Us regular duners aren't using the disgusting pit toilets, we have trailers. The money goes to the new Kings on the ranger's trucks, finally it can at least be thought of going to a paved road maintenance. 2- the machines only work half the time. I actually took a video in November of the machine not working and sent it to BLM and said this is why I never buy a pass. I have to fight the machine which always says "error try again". People lose interest after that, BUT that's a topic for another discussion 😉   

PS - I hope the scheduled completion date is accurate and we aren't into November of 2022 and the road is closed due to paving.

Edited by DESERT_RACER

1 hour ago, DESERT_RACER said:

People already do 50 down the road and it isn't even paved.

People fly down the road to try and stay on top of the washboard. I’ll honestly slow down now because of the pavement. 

There's ways to curb the speeders, but I think that those of us that are regulars to Dumont, are generally excited about this.  Hopefully this project will be smooth, in all senses of the word, and people will be respectful of the posted speed limits.  For those that choose to go out in the dead of summer, and low & behold get stuck while it's 125*, here's a tip:  bring plenty of water and a charged cell phone. 

I think there is more roads in need of repair other than a 3mile stretch of dirt road that is used 6 mos out of a year? 
And the fact that it will be a constant battle with removing the sand off a paved road constantly?

go to the clean up on 3-19-22 Dumont is looking trashy.

I went after Halloween weekend 2021 it was the worst mess I’ve ever seen.

been going to Dumont since 1971.

more and more I’m finding glass bottles in the dunes and cans.

our trailer is a 2016 and it has beat the piss out of it, i am down to 15 miles a hour and it just gets rattled,  I am over Halloween,  last prez day was perfect, Thanks-G was perfect amount of peeps,  If the road makes it worse on Riff-Raff, then i will just stick to off weekends,  But will make the trip more enjoyable to not stress about the trailer being beat up,  

• Like 1

Im still getting dental work... 

If the money allocated then let them do it... This has been discussed for to long. I have driven that road 50 plus through the years to keep from beating me to death.. never passed unless they moved to the side and was slowed down.. Yes prices will go up.. its just what they do.

Dust is the biggest but then again the dust is filling the valley on a big weekend anyway so you probably are not saving anything in the end.

Better drive and easier on the toys so I say do it.

23 hours ago, CaptNkllm said:

Im still getting dental work... 

If the money allocated then let them do it... This has been discussed for to long. I have driven that road 50 plus through the years to keep from beating me to death.. never passed unless they moved to the side and was slowed down.. Yes prices will go up.. its just what they do.

Dust is the biggest but then again the dust is filling the valley on a big weekend anyway so you probably are not saving anything in the end.

Better drive and easier on the toys so I say do it.

They shouldn't. This project is funded by the Federal Lands Transportation Program. It's got nothing to do with user fees. At least that's what I was told. 

Since this is being completed with Federal funds there shouldn't be any increases in the passes.   But knowing how this state works they will probably increase it and use this as an excuse.  Another thing to think about is the speed limit.  I wouldn't be surprised if BLM doesn't post a unit out there on the road with a radar gun getting speeders.  Keep your eyes peeled for that.

3 hours ago, dune buster said:

Since this is being completed with Federal funds there shouldn't be any increases in the passes.   But knowing how this state works they will probably increase it and use this as an excuse.  Another thing to think about is the speed limit.  I wouldn't be surprised if BLM doesn't post a unit out there on the road with a radar gun getting speeders.  Keep your eyes peeled for that.

I good with that, my RV and truck is over 100K,  That road even at 15mph has shook every wall, broke hangers lessened walls,  it will pretty much need 10K of repair to get the trailer back to where it should be,  

I'm all for it but be advised they paved the road into Sand Mountain NV and installed several large concrete dips for drainage at aproxamatly every quarter mile , the speed limit is 25 and the dips keep it that way.

YMMV

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What will be nice is when someone get hurts . Like this passed weekend (Easter weekend ) there was no one out there from BLM ,Rangers ,ect. to be able to help the injured . The road was so bad coming in . the fire truck from Baker , the ambulance from Pahrump and the CHP  got beat to hell getting in there . Hopefully the two found in the dunes ejected from there machine will make it .

So if for nothing other then getting medical help to people that get hurt faster and safer . This road should of been paved a long time ago .

Glad to see it getting done   

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I'm going to take a ride out there, not next weekend (going camping) but the next.

I'll take pics and report what I see so check back.

The road being paved is fine with me. Easier on the RV and trailer. Less dust in the air filter. Easier on the shocks and steering parts. As expensive as trucks and trailers are, anything we can do to extend the life...

Be back in 2 weeks with a road report.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/22/2022 at 2:39 PM, Svengoolie said:

I'm going to take a ride out there, not next weekend (going camping) but the next.

I'll take pics and report what I see so check back.

The road being paved is fine with me. Easier on the RV and trailer. Less dust in the air filter. Easier on the shocks and steering parts. As expensive as trucks and trailers are, anything we can do to extend the life...

Be back in 2 weeks with a road report.

I appreciate that. I was thinking of doing the same at some point during my summer travels. 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday evening I took a drive. No road work yet. No stakes, no equipment hanging out. There was one small camp with tents and I pulled out a stuck pickup from Utah. They were VERY glad to see me! 

It was breezy and about 100°.

I'll go back for an update next month so check back. For those headed out, the road is a bit rough so if you have your camper, take it easy. 

20220604_175932.thumb.jpg.28b38c0686a861886a54d2524f12d645.jpg20220604_185417.thumb.jpg.e974b69041a1bcb3597eb1adc217340f.jpg

Edited by Svengoolie
  • Like 1

• dunefreak changed the title to Dumont Road Paving Project