Dumont Road Paving Project

dunefreak

Dumont Dunes Road  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on paving the Dumont Road?

• I'm very happy about it
    • I hate it
    • It doesn't matter to me

I'll do another update around the 4th of July. Last time I was there mid-July it was over 120* 

I think once the road is paved, Dumont will become a summer tourist trap. Literally. 

People from Europe in a rental Hyundai headed to Death Valley will see the sand dunes, the paved road, will take a detour. "honey, this isn't that bed" as they drive across the firm ground. 

Then, the ground is NO longer firm. That Hyundai sedan will be buried. 

"Now what?" 

This, is not how this works, first they will put it out to Bid, has this Bid yet,  

Then unlike normal bids, It is a Federal job,  so the Bid Results will be reviewed for 30 day,  

After the 30 Days if no bidder protests the bid, then they have 60 days for notice to proceed, after notice to proceed you will then see work start, 

This will only start if the Bid meets the requirements of the bid package, for example if the budget is 1,00,000,000 and the bid comes in over 10%, Then it might go back out for bid or bid review.  

So after the Bid is awarded, bid bonds are met, then they will have notice to proceed,  all and all this could take 6 months, 

Does anyone of a link to the Project bid, or bid results, 

If this is a CMAR or Design build, then it could take a year for design before it goes into review.  

On 6/12/2022 at 9:28 PM, jalper said:

This, is not how this works, first they will put it out to Bid, has this Bid yet,  

Then unlike normal bids, It is a Federal job,  so the Bid Results will be reviewed for 30 day,  

After the 30 Days if no bidder protests the bid, then they have 60 days for notice to proceed, after notice to proceed you will then see work start, 

This will only start if the Bid meets the requirements of the bid package, for example if the budget is 1,00,000,000 and the bid comes in over 10%, Then it might go back out for bid or bid review.  

So after the Bid is awarded, bid bonds are met, then they will have notice to proceed,  all and all this could take 6 months, 

Does anyone of a link to the Project bid, or bid results, 

If this is a CMAR or Design build, then it could take a year for design before it goes into review.  

Here you go. https://govtribe.com/opportunity/federal-contract-opportunity/ca-ftbl-dumont-dunes-1-dumont-dunes-road-6982af22b000013-1#

• 2 weeks later...

I’m all for it , any improvement is good , that entrance road paved is better than rattling your kidneys and filings loose . Like anything else it’ll have it’s up’s and downs but mostly good for those of us who use it and don’t abuse it 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I may take a ride out there tomorrow. 

When it's paved, I'll feel a little better when I clean the RV after sitting much of the summer. 

Not expecting it to be paved. Maybe I'll see some stakes or painted ground. 

Or SOMETHING. 

• Like 1

No road work. I can tell it rained a lot. Mud washed over the road in a lot up places. The wash where some people camp is washed out. Big puddles in the road. The sand was really hard. My Jeep didn't sink in the sand. Mud washed over the entrance enough to bury the speed bumps. People can still drive in okay, it's just a bit rough. 

20220808_163010.jpg

20220808_152257.jpg

Edited by Svengoolie

16 hours ago, dunefreak said:

Thanks for the update. I'm guessing this project probably won't take more than a couple weeks to knock out. We shall wait and see. 

I work for Clark County and during mid summer paving projects we had to switch to nights. With 350°F asphalt radiating intense heat, a lot of our equipment would overheat during the heat of the day. We had good equipment, it's just more heat than the equipment was designed for. We would overheat too! People would drop! 

I'm guessing they are waiting for temps to moderate some. 

I'll check again next month. (Excuse to visit Dumont!) 

BLM has posted a press release on August 12th:

THE BLM AND FHWA BEGIN CONSTRUCTION ON DUMONT DUNES ROAD

"The contractor for this project, Herback General Engineering, will begin surveying and staking activities on Dumont Dunes Road as early as next week. Construction activities include paving the existing gravel road with asphalt and extending and improving the water crossing at the Amargosa River."

The whole press release: https://www.blm.gov/press-release/blm-and-fhwa-begin-construction-dumont-dunes-road

Edited by Svengoolie
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bunch of the Contractors i sell to is putting in there bids, I looked at the Bid Package and the asphalt will almost to the pay station, they are redoing the concrete water crossing,  around 250 cyds, They want the concrete work done by October.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • dunefreak changed the title to Dumont Road Paving Project
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Road update as of last weekend in case you missed my trip report.

Two lanes fully paved to just past the water crossing. There are markers set up around the pay station and up to the visitor center where they'll likely pave after the holiday weekend. It was really nice and felt so foreign pulling in and out of Dumont on pavement. 

20221023_093454.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...