Dumpsters at Dumont?

Dumpsters at Dumont  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see dumpsters at Dumont Dunes? (if paid for by the duners)

• yes
    • no

So I say yes to dumpsters and yes to paving the road in, and that should be at the cost of dunes sir, not the duners! Because we already pay too much! :monkeedance2:

How are the dunes going to pay for dumpsters and a paved road? :monkeedance2: Can you elaborate a little more?

If you all pay for my food and beer while I'm at Dumont, I'll walk around with a bb gun and shoot people I see making/leaving a mess. :headbang1:

You'll shoot your eye out! :laughing:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean, "at the expense of the duners"? The entrance fee will go up if you put in dumpsters? $20 per truck is already way to high. The dunes have to be making a whole lot of money already, and you want more.

The only thing I see different about the dunes since the entrance fees started is port-a-potties and more police. With all the money you make from us duners, you should be paving the road in. That road sucks... and it needs to be paved.

So I say yes to dumpsters and yes to paving the road in, and that should be at the cost of dunes sir, not the duners! Because we already pay too much! :cripple:

I think that if you think about the #'s you would see that paving 5-7 miles of road in the middle of nowhere would be a ittle more money than our current demo fee would handle. Consider this, 1 mile of freeway costs $1,000,000.00 and it's in town. So if you had to haul all the materials, drive time etc it would easy be a 10million dollar job. So that ain't happening!

Next the funds are being put to use by paying law enforcement and medical to be on duty espically during big weekends.

It also pays for the volunteers who are the only contact between someone needing help and BLM/EMT during off weekends or weekdays.

There are also plans and money put away to widen the concrete across the river this spring and at some point we want to widen the road to be 3 lanes wide. Plans also exist for a helipad and information station in the future. Because of the location it costs a lot to bring everything and everyone out and feed,house and transport BLM and LEO's.

And just for the record the 12 bathrooms were not paid for by fee demo money they were installed before fee demo started. We do however pay to have them pumped and maintained.

So now that you have a little more information i hope that you see that we are trying our best to manage a remote area that is growing in usage by leaps and bounds.

thanks for listening!

I think that if you think about the #'s you would see that paving 5-7 miles of road in the middle of nowhere would be a ittle more money than our current demo fee would handle. Consider this, 1 mile of freeway costs $1,000,000.00 and it's in town. So if you had to haul all the materials, drive time etc it would easy be a 10million dollar job. So that ain't happening!

Next the funds are being put to use by paying law enforcement and medical to be on duty espically during big weekends.

It also pays for the volunteers who are the only contact between someone needing help and BLM/EMT during off weekends or weekdays.

There are also plans and money put away to widen the concrete across the river this spring and at some point we want to widen the road to be 3 lanes wide. Plans also exist for a helipad and information station in the future. Because of the location it costs a lot to bring everything and everyone out and feed,house and transport BLM and LEO's.

And just for the record the 12 bathrooms were not paid for by fee demo money they were installed before fee demo started. We do however pay to have them pumped and maintained.

So now that you have a little more information i hope that you see that we are trying our best to manage a remote area that is growing in usage by leaps and bounds.

thanks for listening!

I personally appreciate having the emergency assistance there....as you can't put a value on the lives that can be saved. I don't mind volunteering my time to help cleanup or paying the many dues and fees that I do. (ASA, FODD, etc)

My opinions about Dumont....

I love the dusty sh*tty road.

I love the fact that the river crossing "could get washed out."

I love the pack it in, pack it out motto (no dumpsters).

I love the fact that there are no stores there.

I love that there are no dumping facilities there.

I love that there are no campgrounds there.

I love that the BLM takes pretty good care to ensure that there are ranger or medical services there on big weekends and even on some smaller weekends.

I love that there is no running water there.

In my opinon, Dumont is perfect the way it is.

I love the place for what it is now- let's not change a damn thing!

NO DUMPSTERS ...pack it in and pack it out

I think that if we are going to talk fee increese (SP?) then we need to tack on $10 a week or $40 a year to fight the eco-terror NAZI

and as for the paved road thing....get over it YOUR going OFF ROADING not to the trailer park

Edited by DeToXiC1

I do not want to see dumpsters at Dumont. I have taken my trash and full grey/black tanks all the way home. (400+ miles) The trash bags just take up the room where the fire wood was. Who cares about the weight. Its the same as when I got there. Less gas and wood.

I bet 99.9% of the people who have responded to this question are hard working (or not), tax paying, responsible (most of the time), adults. As are the majority of folks that enjoy what Dumont has to offer.

I doubt that there will be any responses from those irresponsible losers who just don't Give a $hlt.

I will also bet that the majority of the people who leave thier trash, junk, bottles, etc. are those of the Gen-X age. Get a group of young adults, add alcohol, fireworks, and HP, even the most responsible in the group will likely say eff-it when it comes to cleaning up before leaving. JUST MY OPINION.

I apologize to anyone in this group that this does not apply.

I was younger and stupider and have been there, done that. :laughing: Now I go there, do that, and leave no evidence plus take more evidence. :laughing:

Sure, there are the adults older than some of us that just don't get it. Education may help, but not likely.

There will always be bad apples. Some will recover, some won't.

PACK IT IN, PACK MORE OUT!

Hey Ken education helped you and I!!! Now you and I no better and want to do our part. :mic:

I don't think that you should doubt this because everything that starts, starts with education & awarness. :laughing:

I agree that there will always be bad apples but those are expected. It's the one's that are 50 50 on packin out that i'm after. It's a numbers game and if we all talk about it and act things will be better. :dunno:

Dumont is much more cleaner then Glamis and I believe that we have more respectful peeps that care here. :laughing:

I agree with what you said but keep the message in peoples faces and they will start getting the message. :coocoo:

Edited by Grimace

When I say, "paid for by the dunes, not the duners", I mean paid for with the money they are already getting from us (the duners). I do not want to see any more fees. $20 per vehicle is too much as it is. I know things are expensive, but estimate how many vehicles come to dumont per year and times that by 20. Even with the cost of emergency vehicles, police, and bathrooms, that is a lot of profit.

Where is that money going?

• 2 months later...

The Technical Review Team for the Dumont Dunes has been discussing the possibility of bringing dumpsters to Dumont on a regular basis.

At the expense of the dune users.

Friends of Dumont Dunes (www.FriendsOfDumontDunes.org) has a representative on the TRT (John Dalgleish) and our vice president, Terry Allen, represents Nevada duners on the TRT.

As the organization that focuses solely on the Dumont dunes, we work for YOU, the Dumont dune user.

So... we need to know what it is the Dumont duning community would like us to fight for.

Do the users want dumpsters at Dumont?

Let's talk about it.

ALL opinions are welcome and needed so please start talking!

Vicki

I have no problem taking my own trash home. But I'd like to see dumpsters to throw out the stuff left behind by all the butt wipes that can't take their old sofas, carpet, lawn chairs, aluminum cans, & bottles that we always collect every time we go to our beloved dumont.

I have to admit I have whined in the past for 1 dumpster basically for the trash I pick up after the weekends (and there is way more than you think once you start picking it up for a day or two and it's only a slight dent) and my home dumpster can't keep up. I guess I thought "I would use the dumpster before littering so why wouldn't they use it?" but after a little more thought I realize that's naive. What everyone is saying about dumpsters is the same for bathrooms, roads and anything else that makes it easier to get here and stay here. If 1 person approaches a camp with an obvious litter problem he will probably be ignored or threatened but if a short distance outside their camp but visable was a couple dozen dudes for "moral support" one might get the point across about litter and bottles, cans and nails in firepits. WE have to do something different to get a result different than the other places, or I'm going to need alot more Dumont peeps with bags a trash tweezers to help. Some say "the trash situation doesn't seem that bad"....... well, it kills me seeing it now because I remember there being NO TRASH. The cans and bottles were a lot heavier comeing in with liquid etc, seems packing them out empty would be easy. :laughoff::finger::flipoff::(

NO f*cking DUMPSTER AT DUMONT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PEOPLE---PACK IT IN PACK IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS SHOULD NOT EVEN BE A ISSUE. I HAVE NOT READ ALL THE REPIES TO THIS, BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO. I JUST HAVE TO SAY NO TO DUMPSTERS, THAT WOULD MAKE IT OK, TO LEAVE TRASH BEHIND.