Looking to buy a quad, need suggestions

Handy

Just remember, yellow, red, or blue, it doesn't matter off the showroom floor. No-one on this board or at Dumont is riding a bone stock quad. Everyone has at a minimum: a pipe, intake, gearing, tire-sizing & weight, powernow, K&N, jetting, or whatever easy bolt-on is out there. Speed = $$$ into the bike, period. If you want to be the fastest on the hill, breakout the cash. There is no out-the-door bike that will compete with out add-ons. No one runs a stock quad for long. Your accessory options breakdown like this: Yamaha = Most; Honda = Next; Suzuki = last. I like the suzuki because it pushes Yamaha to up their game, honda fell flat with their 450r, but I still believe the YFZ is the bike setting the bar.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remember, yellow, red, or blue, it doesn't matter off the showroom floor. [/i] No-one on this board or at Dumont is riding a bone stock quad. Everyone has at a minimum: a pipe, intake, gearing, tire-sizing & weight, powernow, K&N, jetting, or whatever easy bolt-on is out there. Speed = $$$ into the bike, period. If you want to be the fastest on the hill, breakout the cash. There is no out-the-door bike that will compete with out add-ons. No one runs a stock quad for long. Your accessory options breakdown like this: Yamaha = Most; Honda = Next; Suzuki = last. I like the suzuki because it pushes Yamaha to up their game, honda fell flat with their 450r, but I still believe the YFZ is the bike setting the bar.

I ride a bone stock quad :no_no: and you better believe I am the slowest up any hill and get stuck in soft sand :driver: BUT I just bought it last month and I am new to riding :D. I should have bought the suzuki r450 :undecided: oh well just keeps me from hurting myself.

Get the Bill Ballance edition YFZ and then let me take it for a spin just for kicks :headbang1:.

They are all great bikes. Get what feels good for you. Also, which quad is going to fit your riding style and conditions. I'm a Honda guy at heart.........but out of the crate the ltr450, for my money is the best buy. My girly has one and I love it. It is the closest "feel" to a two wheeler there is. What ever you decide, I'm sure you'll be happy! :undecided:

I ride a bone stock quad :dunce: and you better believe I am the slowest up any hill and get stuck in soft sand :no_no: BUT I just bought it last month and I am new to riding :D. I should have bought the suzuki r450 :undecided: oh well just keeps me from hurting myself.

Get the Bill Ballance edition YFZ and then let me take it for a spin just for kicks :headbang1:.

Yea, yea, get it so your hoomies can try it! :driver:

Well first thing I'd do to anything is drop the front sprocket a tooth, pipe it, throw in a K&N and grab a set of ITP Sandstars. I'm probably gonna end up with a Quadracer.

I really would recomend the SKAT TRAK HAULERS ive always ran sand stars i got on a bike with these paddles and fell in love. Go with the skat trak and mohakws for the front sand stars are awsome but if you wanna lock up and race skat trak

If you want to race up comp get the Raptor 700, if you want to dune the best quad is the Kawasaki KFX 700! I just happen to have one for sale with sand tires and ready to go!

Kawi 700's are great. Here is a little vid of me smokin 2 ltr450's and a rap 700. With a little work they are fast and you can ride them all day without getting tired.

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m131/bu...1strunonNOS.flv

Edited by YamaKiller

Like they have been telling you its all depends on your riding style and what you plan on doing with it. In my opinon if all your going to do is hill shoot and drag get a YFZ, they are they easiest to get 10 more Hp for $500. Hondas are good all around bike but if you want to drag you need to go a little further to make them fast. I havent riden a new zuki but they look like the perform well riding but not as popular at the drag strip. But if you want a more comfortable ride but with some decent power look at the raptor but make sure its a 700, they are way diffrent than the old 660. I ride dirt bikes and have a YFZ for duning and dragging and I would do the same agin. Or you could just bow down to age like I am starting to and buy a rhino :DDRrocks:

I learned on a YFZ and R450 loved them both even though I bought a Z400 for myself. I have to admit I thought the fuel injection and cherry bomb on the suzuki was nice and the stock suzuki did beat the stock YFZ up the hill repeatedly.

Stock for stock, a R450 will not beat a YFZ up a sand hill, unless it is the rider!!!

Just remember, yellow, red, or blue, it doesn't matter off the showroom floor. No-one on this board or at Dumont is riding a bone stock quad. Everyone has at a minimum: a pipe, intake, gearing, tire-sizing & weight, powernow, K&N, jetting, or whatever easy bolt-on is out there. Speed = $$$ into the bike, period. If you want to be the fastest on the hill, breakout the cash. There is no out-the-door bike that will compete with out add-ons. No one runs a stock quad for long. Your accessory options breakdown like this: Yamaha = Most; Honda = Next; Suzuki = last. I like the suzuki because it pushes Yamaha to up their game, honda fell flat with their 450r, but I still believe the YFZ is the bike setting the bar.

amen brother lol also would have to add, that you can have an very fast bike and get beat by a slower bike just because of rider.

Stock for stock, a R450 will not beat a YFZ up a sand hill, unless it is the rider!!!

My mistake the R450 did have a pipe then, but the YFZ was still stock. The guys traded bikes and raced a few times, it was a good race between the R450 and the YFZ no matter the rider. :blink:

I just started learning the hills and I dont race on comp, but the only race I ever won was on the YFZ and my personal preference is still the R450, which I have never raced with. Obviously rider is going to play a part in a race, put me on any bike and every one of you is going to beat me :D.

Kawi 700's are great. Here is a little vid of me smokin 2 ltr450's and a rap 700. With a little work they are fast and you can ride them all day without getting tired.

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m131/bu...1strunonNOS.flv

Damn I am going to have to have the guys race their KFX (stock) against the YFZ (stock) :headbang1: . I rode the KFX for about 10 mins before I took it back to camp, just wasnt a bike for me. My sister loved it till she rolled it at Apex. :blink:

What do you have on that Kawi?

<--- 6'4" 215lbs

Predator all the way. If you are looking for the best all around quad for Dirt, Dunes and Trails.. Then you buy a predator. I have ridden the yfz450 in the dirt and with my weight and height it was a rough terrible ride. You have to raise the neck and bars to make it rideable unless you like to be hunched over. The stock honda 450r is about the same as the YFZ except it sits higher. (I have heard great things about the Zuki though). The pred is the best all around quad out there. I can keep up with any of the 450s anywhere they goes and pass them on the rough stuff because the pred has the better suspension. Everyone on here compares quads by how fast they will go in a striaght line up a hill. Unless that is all you are doing, you should buy something that will do it all. The funny part about the comparison of comp hill is, when you watch people race you will see every brand beat every other brand, they are all about the same speed when you are looking at 450cc - 500cc motors.

My mistake the R450 did have a pipe then, but the YFZ was still stock. The guys traded bikes and raced a few times, it was a good race between the R450 and the YFZ no matter the rider. :headbang1:

I just started learning the hills and I dont race on comp, but the only race I ever won was on the YFZ and my personal preference is still the R450, which I have never raced with. Obviously rider is going to play a part in a race, put me on any bike and every one of you is going to beat me :D.

The Slowzuki :blink: just kidding the Suzuki is a great bike! I just happen to love Yamaha's and have had great luck with them.

Damn I am going to have to have the guys race their KFX (stock) against the YFZ (stock) :watching: . I rode the KFX for about 10 mins before I took it back to camp, just wasnt a bike for me. My sister loved it till she rolled it at Apex. :laughoff:

What do you have on that Kawi?

Stock it is slow, but will climb anything. With a little work it will beat any cammed and piped 450 or rap 700 even with pipe and fuel managment :D:D:D

They are all great bikes. Get what feels good for you. Also, which quad is going to fit your riding style and conditions. I'm a Honda guy at heart.........but out of the crate the ltr450, for my money is the best buy. My girly has one and I love it. It is the closest "feel" to a two wheeler there is. What ever you decide, I'm sure you'll be happy! :watching:

Great advice right there. I think it's funny reading all the posts about which bike will beat which. :laughoff: Who effen cares? Get the bike that feels right for the rider.

:drinkbeer:

I'm trying to avoid a two-stroke, plus I'm looking to buy new from dealership. Plus with a Banshee you gotta spend money to trick it out...or atleast I would. And I don't presently have the money to do that, and rebuilt it all the time.