2nd Air Conditioner

White Rhino

Hello all.

after last weekend we realized we need a second air conditioning unit for our WWarrior. we have a 33' and I know its pre-wired for a unit in the bedroom.

Does anybody have some advise on what unit to install in there that you have had luck with??

:thumb:

Hello all.

after last weekend we realized we need a second air conditioning unit for our WWarrior. we have a 33' and I know its pre-wired for a unit in the bedroom.

Does anybody have some advise on what unit to install in there that you have had luck with??

I suggest ya get a bid from WW, and from camping world for the job.

If it's for the bedroom get the 12.5K BTU if it's for the main part of the RV get the 15K BTU.

You need at least 5.5kw of generator to run them both.

Get the same brand that is already up there.

Camping world is the easiest place to get the work done.

www.campingworld.com

If you bought it from Shawn,perhaps give him a call and he'll get you all dialed in.

It's a good cheap investment.

How about you take the 12.5 or 13.5 in the main room and move it up front and put the biggest one you can get in the main room area :D Would seem more logical especially if your buying one already :D

I have an existing unit in the main room, I think its a 15k BTU, and I have a Onan 5.5 KW Gen

so powering isnt the issue, just wanted to see if anybody here has done it, and what they did. I looked at Camping World, and they have a few models, so I was just curious.

Thanks!!

yeah I am runnning 50 AMP service. Its actually pre-wired for as second unit up in the bedroom.

I was just seeing if anybody had success or non success with a particular model or make?

i bough a carrier model 15btu off of ebay through a dealer. i have a 3712 raptor and i added it to the bedroom (also prewired). took about 2 and a half hrs to get it on (wasnt in a hurry). i put the large 1 on so if it was to hot it still worked good and it didnt strugle to keep up. i also ordered with a heat pump and we were out at dumont for the clean up and i ran it in the bedroom (had to cover up it was real cold) it kept up real nice very happy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRAND-NEW-C...1QQcmdZViewItem

this is the company i ordered from. very nice and helpfull. i think it was 600 or 650 with shipping. very nice price and a warranty to boot.

very exspensive here in town and wasnt to hard to put up. i could probably put 1 in now in about an hour or less.

any questions let me know.

Capt.

Hey thanks Capt.

did you run both AC units at the same time on clean up weekend?

what Generator do you have? I have the Onan 5500 Gen.

Are the controls then all at that unit(built in) for AC, and heat if you go with the heat pump?

It fits fine in the vent?

Thanks for your help!

:D:ban-split:

Edited by Paul Rob

Hey thanks Capt.

did you run both AC units at the same time on clean up weekend?

what Generator do you have? I have the Onan 5500 Gen.

Are the controls then all at that unit(built in) for AC, and heat if you go with the heat pump?

It fits fine in the vent?

Thanks for your help!

:D :argue:

Hey Paul, I have 50 amp service on my Sandpiper. It has 2 AC units. The main (or rear) unit has the thermostat controls on teh wall and it is ducted, the front ac unit has the controls right on the unit itself. I also have the 5500 Onan and it does just fine with both ac's running together. I ran both of them on cleanup weekend and it got nice and cold in there. :dance: :ban-split:

• 1 month later...

I bought the same dometic thats in the rear, 15k btu, w/ optional thermo strip. Installed it myself. it's super easy, after you figure out how to get it on the roof. my neighbor has a forklift, so i borrowed it.

ah you took the easy way out.. Fork lift GEES

I put a strap around it, got in the roof and pulled it up the front of the TH.. I do have to say I was thinking OK if this drops I guess I am out $650 :D but yes once on the roof it was easy!

Thanks for everybodies help!

it is a peice of cake to add the front air i did it on my brothers. I used manuel controls and not the t stat since there are no wires ran for the t stat. the power wires were not hooked up at the breaker box and since he only has 30amp service and never plugs in i ran the wire into the generator plug box (the 20amp leg from the generator is terminated there) I normally would have rewired the coach for 50 amp but he did not want to spend the money to convert to 50 amp service

• 2 weeks later...

i have an le3105 15btu in rear and added 13.5btu to front best thing i did because the rear air with the ducting you lose alot of the cool i bought at camping world about 400 for unit and 100 for install but heres where i gets kinda tricky for the wiring yes it is prewired but if you hook it up and try to run both off the the prewire your going to pop circuit so i went to home depot got a circuit breaker like the ones in the house and handed it over to the camping world tech and he installed what it does it splits the leg so your airs and microwave are not on the same circuit but still had a problem when i took it to weekend warrior for service i was popping the circuit on the gen so they had to split the leg on the gen so anyway make sure you get the right configuration because when you need both and the circuit blows and you can only run one your right back in the same boat or trailer

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Paul, I have 50 amp service on my Sandpiper. It has 2 AC units. The main (or rear) unit has the thermostat controls on teh wall and it is ducted, the front ac unit has the controls right on the unit itself. I also have the 5500 Onan and it does just fine with both ac's running together. I ran both of them on cleanup weekend and it got nice and cold in there. :flipoff::stick_smack:

Are both your AC units 13.5K or 15K? Is 13.5 plenty for the front bedroom area? I am curious if a Onan 5500 would run 2 units as long as they are on opposite legs of the 50 amp service.

Are both your AC units 13.5K or 15K? Is 13.5 plenty for the front bedroom area? I am curious if a Onan 5500 would run 2 units as long as they are on opposite legs of the 50 amp service.

13.5 is plenty for the ipper bedroom. I installed the 15k but that unit will darn near cool the whole trailer.

Yes you can run both with the Onan 5500 5.5KW

Paul

13.5 is plenty for the ipper bedroom. I installed the 15k but that unit will darn near cool the whole trailer.

Yes you can run both with the Onan 5500 5.5KW

Paul

As long as you aren't watching a movie and then try to pop some popcorn in the microwave! :stick_smack:

• 1 year later...

I noticed that link didn't work

here is a place on E-bay that has allot of options

http://stores.ebay.com/RV-Parts-Accessorie...7QQftidZ2QQtZkm

This is like the unit I went with

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CARRIER-150...emZ140217075402

it has the heater as well

one note, you'll need a 30 amp breaker at your circuit panel, as these Wekeend Warriors come Per wired, they dont wire that wire up near that roof vent which is where this unit goes. so when you look in your circuit panel, you have to cut out one of the knock outs and install a new 30 amp breaker, TRUST ME ITS EASY, just look how they wired there's and do it the same. I got my circuit breaker at Lowes it was like $10 or so, other than wire it in at the new AC units once you get on the roof, I straped mine and raised it right up the front BY MYSELF.. well the wife had to guide it until it got past the 5th wheel part, but other than that .... was easy :beercheers:

you can PM me if you have any more questions

• 9 years later...