Paving the Dumont entrance RD..

1BADYFZ

FYI....I was there this weekend and they are laying down some kinda of pavement that is black in color, we thought it might be old recycled street..Anyways stopped and talked to the workers and he said it was paid for by the bLM and i said thanks, glad they are puttting mine & your 20$ dollars to good use. He also said it will minimize the dust on big traffic weekends ..

Im just hoping they grade the previous rd better because if they lay that stuff with out grading it would be the same way in a few weeks, other then the 4wheel action i had to take on the road in im glad they are taking care of buisness..

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am surprised to see it happen this fast. The TRT was notified and we agreed that using recycled pavement from I15 was a good use of our fee demo funds. The actual cost is a substanial savings to us and the asphalt is basically free. We have to pay for grading and hauling but the labor and material is free. There has been a big fuss about dust control by the greenies and this is the easiest way to get them off the subject and make an improvement for the duning community. I was not planning on releasing the information about the road until after the TRT meeting on Tue.but the cat's outta the bag. So their will be a 2 lane pave road from the highway to the pay station. I was not sure I wanted the road paved but after the last couple of times out the road was so rough i am sure my equiptment will appreciate the pavement. We looked at the cost of the road and what the cost of the upkeep on the dirt road and found that it will save us a lot of money over time.

Terry

Thats awesome!!! Cant wait to check that out. Much smoother ride getting to the dunes!!! By the time I get to that point, Im so ready to be at the dunes, I tend to go a lil to fast down that road. My hauler and truck will greatly appreciate it being paved!! :thumb:

So much for the SURPRISE announcement! :blush:

This has been a HOT topic for so long. Cost has always been a prohibitive factor, and controlling speed after paving the road was a concern.

However, with cost being less prohibitive, the pros do outweigh the cons.

Will speed be an issue? Yes... but relatively speaking, a speeder on that road will not shut the road down.

A dust problem, on the other hand, could easily shut it down.

Unfortunately, the anti-access crazies are using environmental protection agency regulations to shut down riding areas now and finding it's a pretty easy thing to do. Our biggest dust problem at Dumont has always been that access road and no matter how many different substances the BLM tried, a solution just couldn't be found.

This semi-pavement is an excellent alternative and came to us at a substantial savings.

So now that's TWO improvement projects for Dumont... the entrance road and the river crossing. wooooo hooooo! :thumb:

Vicki

thats good to see, iam just hoping that people wont use that as an excuse to drive like an a$$ down the road now that its paved.

well thank you to all that have been envolved in getting that HUGE improvement.....thanks!

other then the 4wheel action i had to take on the road in im glad they are taking care of buisness..

Was the road real bad, while 'under construction?' Just thinking about my 2wd truck next weekend.

What about the river crossing and high waters during the rainy season... How cost effective would it be to have to replace a washed out road all the time.. Are they going to build the crossing to have this in mind. A decent moving body of water will destroy anything in its path if not built right.... Look at what was it pres weekend a few years back where you were lucky if you made it thru cuz the river was running so wide?

Was the road real bad, while 'under construction?' Just thinking about my 2wd truck next weekend.

No it will be fine, im sure they will be done mid this week with the smoothing..

What about the river crossing and high waters during the rainy season... How cost effective would it be to have to replace a washed out road all the time.. Are they going to build the crossing to have this in mind. A decent moving body of water will destroy anything in its path if not built right.... Look at what was it pres weekend a few years back where you were lucky if you made it thru cuz the river was running so wide?

I thought the same thing, hopefully they do it right and think before they waste the recycled rd that is god sent to us, the river crossing along with not prepping the rd for some stone will lead to problems the first month in the project.then it's back to the wash board effect and pot holes...

I have mixed feelings about this.

I'm happy because my overpriced toyhauler that gets beat to death on that road will no longer have to endure that pain nor will my wallet. :blush:

on the contrary...

I'm a little worried that a better road might bring worse people. :thumb: