Paving the Dumont entrance RD..

1BADYFZ

Pavement ... :D

speeders on the road ... :ninja:

speed bumps ... :D

rocks thrown at the new truck and trailer because of speeders ... :dunce:

I had a huge rock thrown up at the truck on presidents day from some idiot prerunner leaving and passing us at least 60 - 70 mph! F'en idiots deserve to be shot!

Thanks to all that had a hand in this project. . .

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have mixed feelings about this.

I'm happy because my overpriced toyhauler that gets beat to death on that road will no longer have to endure that pain nor will my wallet. :thumb:

on the contrary...

I'm a little worried that a better road might bring worse people. :isbb:

I'm with you on this one Pete! It would be nice to have a smoother ride in, BUT my biggest concern is the idiots out there that think it'll be a drag strip to race in and out of Dumont on!! :laughoff: Only time will tell.

"I'd like the TRT to think about this and consider all the traffic, including ambulances with back injuries, etc. and advise us before we would take an action."

WOW!! That's a HUGE issue to take into consideration. Thanks Vicki for posting that, guess it is time to second guess the speed bumps! :isbb::thumb:

I'll take some pics of the progress this weekend and post them up when I get back. :dunce:

1. If people try to make it a drag strip, just take your 30 foot toyhauler and put it in the middle of the road so that they cant pass you thinking it is an invitation to race. :freakin_nuts: Or just start weaving like race cars do during caution laps. :laughoff:

2. Many mixed feelings about paving because if they do not do it right the first time, and just throw it down there, it will be worse than a washboard dirt road. :laughoff:

JMO

Edited by Spider

1. If people try to make it a drag strip, just take your 30 foot toyhauler and put it in the middle of the road so that they cant pass you thinking it is an invitation to race. :freakin_nuts: Or just start weaving like race cars do during caution laps. :laughoff:

2. Many mixed feelings about paving because if they do not do it right the first time, and just throw it down there, it will be worse than a washboard dirt road. :laughoff:

JMO

From what I heard yesterday they did pretty much just throw it down there and I was told other than dust control it is worse than before! :dunce: Pete will have pics to post sunday when he returns..

Edited by SAND~~SNAKE

Great news on the pavement, hope they do more then grade it. They need to roll it to make it smooth and last. It would also be another great way for BLM to make some quick cash. Pick a good hiding spot like the CHP does and start writing speeding tickets. $$$$$

black type 2 ? dont know what this is, CMB, crushed misc. base or class 2 aggregate base is what is there now.good solid foundation!

cold mix =temporary asphalt, will not work for permanent pavement as it stays pliable and im sure the excessive heat will excellerate deterioratin, plus cold mix cost more than hot mix!

if this material is coming from the 15 overlay project it is RAP (recycled asphalt pavement) or asphalt grindings, this may or may not work! IF they place 4-6 inches uniform coverage, water ,and compact there is a good chance this material will "bleed" back into asphalt! have done this procedure in the riverside area and usually it takes 2-3 years to bleed into permanent pavement(maintenence required, grade & compact).But i think with the excessive summer heat and reduced pnuematic pressure of summer this might happen over one summer!bottom line paving would probably cost close to :laughoff: half a mil, so this is a fairly cost effective experiment.java script:emoticon(':laughoff:', 'smid_16')

java script:emoticon(':dunce:', 'smid_16')

if they do not do it right the first time, and just throw it down there, it will be worse than a washboard dirt road.

I am afraid that is exactly what they did... as of friday night, the road is worse off than it was before. :laughoff:

Most the broken tank brackets and pipes on our rig seem to happen after driving on the entrance rd. Speed seem to be of no help.

Glad to see improvement of any kind.

normal_DSCF1010.JPG

normal_DSCF1011.JPG

There are the 2 pics i took of the road... As was noted before after one weeekend the road is washboarded to hell the stuff is real LOOSE!! In just my 2wd pickup not towing anything coming around the corner down into the river the a$$ end started sliding around on me i was like WTF... after a couple good rains this stuff will be gone.. hate to say it but if thats all they plan on doing to the road it was definatley a waste of funds.

hell thats just recyckled type 2 with oil sprayed on the rocks to try and keep it together , they shouldnt have even wasted the money doin that its just gonna break down and be black dust and wash boarded just like the type 2 they put down a wile back

And dont takemy post wrong yes im thankful for it just like the rest of you , i just feel if there gona do it do it right the first time instead of comming back later and redoing it :mc_smiley:

Who knows for sure whether or not it will be good or bad? Is it done yet? I am hoping that in the end it will be better, but I have been on far worse off road roads than that one!!! Maybe there is more work to be done and.....maybe they are letting people in and out while they are working on it.

What strikes me as insanely funny is to read all the comments from a bunch of OFF ROAD enthusists complaining about the condition of an OFF ROAD, road? :mc_smiley: Maybe some folks would be happier at an RV Park. But be careful there, :loser: cause they have speeed bumps and quiet hrs

Who knows for sure whether or not it will be good or bad? Is it done yet? I am hoping that in the end it will be better, but I have been on far worse off road roads than that one!!! Maybe there is more work to be done and.....maybe they are letting people in and out while they are working on it.

What strikes me as insanely funny is to read all the comments from a bunch of OFF ROAD enthusists complaining about the condition of an OFF ROAD, road? :woo_hoo: Maybe some folks would be happier at an RV Park. But be careful there, :dope: cause they have speeed bumps and quiet hrs

:ahhhhh: im with you on that one. just my opinion, if you have to worry about your truck/trailer/rv then maybe you shouldnt be out there. sounds like a bunch of pre-madonnas crying about the road to rough. give me a break. its a good thing to keep the dust down, and i think they are trying. for that i salute them. but as for the cry-baby b*tches about the road being rough................. :mc_smiley: :loser:

the road leaving this afternoon sucked, not as much dust but after last nights wind there was more dust and washboarded bad. the motorhomes were hating it they were going 10 or less. it could have worked with about 4 times the material oil and being rolled it would last a little while but as it is by the start of next year you will never know it had been done. the only place it might hold a little longer is by the pay station. i never thought the road was that bad a lot of dust but i would have more dust in the rig just unloading.

We drove in a 2 wheel drive truck and couldn't go very fast, so I don't think anyone should be worried about trailers, MH's or TH's speeding down the road. The speed limit is posted at 25mph and we couldn't go that fast without hauling anything. The only improvement seems to be the dust control. I am worried about what the road is going to be like after some big winds and rain...unless they have a plan for maintaining it :praying: . Overall the road was an improvement, but might be more of a problem in the long run :mc_smiley: .

What strikes me as insanely funny is to read all the comments from a bunch of OFF ROAD enthusists complaining about the condition of an OFF ROAD, road? :woo_hoo: Maybe some folks would be happier at an RV Park. But be careful there, :dope: cause they have speeed bumps and quiet hrs

:ahhhhh: im with you on that one. just my opinion, if you have to worry about your truck/trailer/rv then maybe you shouldnt be out there. sounds like a bunch of pre-madonnas crying about the road to rough. give me a break. its a good thing to keep the dust down, and i think they are trying. for that i salute them. but as for the cry-baby b*tches about the road being rough................. :mc_smiley: :loser:

I didnt care about the road how it was but they have made it worse.

Don the camp host tried to talk to the guys working on it because thats what he did for a living and they told him to get lost.

He may not even come back next year!!!

everyone needs to stop crying and deal with it. we have some friends that have the 300k motorhomes and trailers to match, and they got smart....they left them at home, bought a toyhauler that "they dont care if it gets scratched" and go out and have a good time. its almost embarassing to hear of all the people crying about the road. STAY HOME THEN!!!! it seems to be that dune riding is not about how badass you motorhome/trailer is, or am i missing something????

everyone needs to stop crying and deal with it. we have some friends that have the 300k motorhomes and trailers to match, and they got smart....they left them at home, bought a toyhauler that "they dont care if it gets scratched" and go out and have a good time. its almost embarassing to hear of all the people crying about the road. STAY HOME THEN!!!! it seems to be that dune riding is not about how badass you motorhome/trailer is, or am i missing something????

What your missin Tyler is the fact that a lot of fee demo money went into this and it turned out worse than it was. I understand that I am taking my motorhome where it probably wasn't designed to go and I try to go slow and take it easy on it. However I was looking forward to a nicer entry road not a worse one. It won't stop me from going but I will be asking where the money went on tuesday.

What your missin Tyler is the fact that a lot of fee demo money went into this and it turned out worse than it was. I understand that I am taking my motorhome where it probably wasn't designed to go and I try to go slow and take it easy on it. However I was looking forward to a nicer entry road not a worse one. It won't stop me from going but I will be asking where the money went on tuesday.

I'm with you on that one Ynot. It won't stop me from going out there with my MH, but I would ask the same thing. Please get back to us on this one.