New Dumont fees for 07/08 season

dunefreak

:beerpint: it sure sounds like a bunch of crying babies out there still................. :laughoff::dunno::DDRrocks: i hope they raise it to 500.00 a year and check passes for authenticity. and if its a bogus pass put you in jail. :DDRrocks: and if you dont like the fees, stay home, or try another sport, like macramay. :dope: i think the fees are justified with the expense of the law/emt personell, not that they do sh*t. but maybe the increase in fees will send the lame-o's some where else. just my :slap:

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't say that I agree or disagree with doubling the fee, but I can say that I will be paying it. It's still a fairly decent price considering that I used Dumont about 12-14 times since Labor Day. And when you look at the fact that ONE decent seat at a NASCAR race is $120 for four or five hours of entertainment then the fee increase is still a bargain. It's all about where you place your priorities.

My question to Terry would be: has anybody ever brought up the issue of CA BLM honoring the Golden Eagle Pass? There are those of us who are older, disabled, older and disabled, that frequent the dunes. BLM in NV, AZ, and UT all honor the pass and you pay half of the posted fee. UT will even goes as far as to ask any vehicle with a DOD sticker if any of the occupants have the Golden Eagle Pass as alot of folks returning from Iraq and Afghanistan are missing parts and pieces but still like to get out and kick up some sand.

Looks like Cali could give a ratsazz about some disabled American Vets. But boy if you're a YabbaDabba or from South of the border they will hand it all to you on a silver platter...

^^^^^^^^Yeah and its already 120 a year

Actually it's still sitting at $90 for the year, but that's not to say that it won't go up.

So, if you buy this Dumont season pass for $90 vice the $120 one that includes all of the Holidays, and then decide to show up for a Holiday period, do you just pay a $10 surcharge? Or what? Anybody clear on how that would work?

Edited by aceisback

I can't say that I agree or disagree with doubling the fee, but I can say that I will be paying it. It's still a fairly decent price considering that I used Dumont about 12-14 times since Labor Day. And when you look at the fact that ONE decent seat at a NASCAR race is $120 for four or five hours of entertainment then the fee increase is still a bargain. It's all about where you place your priorities.

My question to Terry would be: has anybody ever brought up the issue of CA BLM honoring the Golden Eagle Pass? There are those of us who are older, disabled, older and disabled, that frequent the dunes. BLM in NV, AZ, and UT all honor the pass and you pay half of the posted fee. UT will even goes as far as to ask any vehicle with a DOD sticker if any of the occupants have the Golden Eagle Pass as alot of folks returning from Iraq and Afghanistan are missing parts and pieces but still like to get out and kick up some sand.

Looks like Cali could give a ratsazz about some disabled American Vets. But boy if you're a YabbaDabba or from South of the border they will hand it all to you on a silver platter...

got to get that political jab in there don't ya??? lol

I agree, hell, for vets, access to all public land should be free, as they fought for it :dope:

I also would like this question asked.

Since the question was addressed to Terry I was going to wait for him to answer it.

I have asked this question already and have been given mixed answers.

Right now the answer is no, the Pass does not cover the use fees for Dumont (or Glamis for that matter).

Should they? That's a good question and one that's been around since the Golden Eagle passes came into existence.

The main argument against them is, the amount of money that would be coming into the area that we are using.

The fees we pay when entering Dumont are used to sustain our use at Dumont. They go only to Dumont, not any other public land area. Arguably, since Dumont does receive some appropriated (Federal) dollars, I suppose some of that could be coming from the sale of Golden Eagle passes. But those funds would be spread out throughout public lands.

So... would Dumont be receiving its fair share?

Vicki

One other thing...

At one time the BLM was considering pooling their money to have State-level BLM handle the funding of the areas. One big pot of money and then they'd distribute it among the various BLM areas. If that happened, they would consider having one pass that would cover all OHV areas or maybe just one pass for all sand areas.

The suggestion got dropped... the local BLM offices like being in charge of their own funding... but it was once and could be considered again.

Vicki

Vicki, I see your point to an extent, however: ALL National and State Parks honor the benefit, and MOST other state BLM agencies do likewise. The ones (BLM) out West anyway, haven't used any East of the Mississippi. Would only go to reason though that they would, should, be on the same sheet of music.

Just a thought. Not looking for a hand out.

It seems everyone is on 1 side of the fence or the other about the fees and I can see the point about the "other camp grounds fees" and the "bowling" and "Nascar" fees ...... so why isn't the trash situation addressed like those other fee places? I know... I'm beetching and didn't go to a TRT meeting but I do pick up hundreds of pounds of trash that is building up at home because my dumpster isn't big enough. Regardless of how high or low the fees it seems that would be one of the first considerations on how the fees are spent, either collect the trash or collect fees from citations for littering for the additional revenue for a dumpster. 34 years of going to Dumont and in the last few years its worse everytime. And for the silent ones in the camps that trash and burn cans bottles and nails, speak up, you wimpy bunch of sheeple. It's your dunes too, is there anyone that ignorant that doesn't know this stuff or just nobody mentions it to them? My rant is finished, time for DDDDC (ACDC)! :banghead:

Since the question was addressed to Terry I was going to wait for him to answer it.

I have asked this question already and have been given mixed answers.

Right now the answer is no, the Pass does not cover the use fees for Dumont (or Glamis for that matter).

Should they? That's a good question and one that's been around since the Golden Eagle passes came into existence.

The main argument against them is, the amount of money that would be coming into the area that we are using.

The fees we pay when entering Dumont are used to sustain our use at Dumont. They go only to Dumont, not any other public land area. Arguably, since Dumont does receive some appropriated (Federal) dollars, I suppose some of that could be coming from the sale of Golden Eagle passes. But those funds would be spread out throughout public lands.

So... would Dumont be receiving its fair share?

Vicki

Maybe I should of been more specific. What about Disabled Veterans? Thanks.

Maybe I should of been more specific. What about Disabled Veterans? Thanks.

Ah.

The short answer is, there's nothing like that at this moment.

The long answer is, anything can change and if that's something you would like to fight for, I'm sure you'd find plenty of support.

I was just told something that I have to verify... I was told that the Golden Eagle pass is only good for entry and not good for overnight stays. Does anyone else know if this is accurate?

Vicki

Ah.

The short answer is, there's nothing like that at this moment.

The long answer is, anything can change and if that's something you would like to fight for, I'm sure you'd find plenty of support.

I was just told something that I have to verify... I was told that the Golden Eagle pass is only good for entry and not good for overnight stays. Does anyone else know if this is accurate?

Vicki

Vicki, Here is a link to the National park passes. If I interpret them correctly "Access pass" allows one entry onto federal lands and does not prohibit overnight stay. Since Dumont is under federal jurisdiction (BLM) then I could assume the pass is good at Dumont.

Perhaps the BLM side of the TRT wasn't aware of this program? I could only hope they are not adverse to pass holders entry and stay.

As a disabled vet and duner this particular subject holds my interest. Again, Thanks.

http://www.nps.gov/fees_passes.htm

It is good for free entrance and 1/2 price lodging/camping expenses.

hmmmm

I wonder how that would work at a place like Dumont.

At Yosemite, for instance, you pay your entry fee on the way in... and pay for camping or lodging separately. The entry and camping fees only go so far and then appropriations dollars and concessionaires concessionaires kick in to keep the whole thing running, along with maybe some other non-user funding coming from other sources.

At Dumont the cost to enter is all wrapped up in one package and doesn't cover just entry and lodging but also emergency services and maintenance.

Could it be used to get a Dumont pass at a reduced rate? Yes, I guess it could with the proper system in place, but I would also guess that would mean raising the overall rates to cover the reduction now that Dumont has become nearly 100% self-sustaining.

Vicki

Thinking further on this...

We would also have to come up with yet another pass, or maybe some kind of sticker to be put on a regular pass, that would tie that pass directly to the senior citizen or disabled vet who purchased it... in order to avoid someone buying it at a reduced rate and then either making a slight profit or simply handing it off to someone who is neither a senior citizen or a disabled vet.

And there's still the matter of raising the overall fee so that Dumont is still properly funded.

Vicki

Thinking further on this...

We would also have to come up with yet another pass, or maybe some kind of sticker to be put on a regular pass, that would tie that pass directly to the senior citizen or disabled vet who purchased it... in order to avoid someone buying it at a reduced rate and then either making a slight profit or simply handing it off to someone who is neither a senior citizen or a disabled vet.

And there's still the matter of raising the overall fee so that Dumont is still properly funded.

Vicki

Not what I had in mind.

Not what I had in mind.

I know. :(

I wracking my brain trying to think of a way we could fit something like this in... not just at Dumont but at other OHV areas as well.

With the relatively recent 'pay to play' mentality taking over our funding sources, it really makes it tough to offer any kind of discount.

Vicki

Looking further, I think this question is answered. Taken from FAQ's:

Which Agencies will honor the new America the Beautiful - the National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Passes?

The Forest Service, National Park Service, Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management, and Bureau of Reclamation will honor all three passes at sites where Entrance or Standard Amenity Fees are charged. In addition, the Corps of Engineers and Tennessee Valley Authority may honor the Senior and Access Passes.

Your thoughts?

I know. :(

I wracking my brain trying to think of a way we could fit something like this in... not just at Dumont but at other OHV areas as well.

With the relatively recent 'pay to play' mentality taking over our funding sources, it really makes it tough to offer any kind of discount.

Vicki

You also have to look at the "traffic" problems that different passes/stickers would cause. Imagine everyone that leaves on Sunday of President's weekend and having the fee contractor having to spend more time verifing that all the stickers are in place, proper holiday, full season vs. season pass with holiday stickers, Veterans stickers, Eagle passes etc. The traffic nightmare would be horific! I am already concerned about holiday's and the proper passes for those 5 special weekends. Nobody wants to spend 2 hours in traffic just waiting to leave. I believe we have to keep it as simple as possible. Not that I don't think that vet's shouldn't get a free pass and that may be something we at the TRT can address.