New Dumont fees for 07/08 season

dunefreak

The one I hold is a Golden Access Passport, a lifetime admission permit.

What the rules say and what is actually allowed/permitted is what's at issue here. I am in no way denying what has been presented and laid out here. I am just relaying MY experiences in my travels across this great Country of ours.

Many State and National park entrances will ask you once they see your DOD sticker if you posses any of the above discussed passes. They will honor them at the State level even though it is a Federal pass.

It does clearly state in the fine print on the back that "pass is not valid for any special recreation permit fee". The bone of contention here is that it also states "agencies administering Federal recreation areas where the Golden Access Passport is honored: Bureau of Land Management, Fish and Wildlife Services, Bureau of Reclamation, National Park Service, Forest Service, and Tennessee Valley Authority.

Entrance is free to these areas, use fees are 50%, eg, camping, cave tours, etc.

Again, my experiences are that the passes are honored everywhere that I have been, just not with BLM here in Cali. Others experiences amy have differed.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HMMM, I had to go back and read all of the post again to see where that came from. :thumb: I didn't think that I had recalled anyone asking or looking for a hand out. I think it's been clearly stated that you can even purchase some of these passes.

Others you don't even have to be "such a good American', you can just lay back and enjoy life and when you hit a certain age, walla, they up and give you one. Some of the others all you have to do is bust your a$$ so much that your body breaks down while providing Civil Service, Federal service, or be broken and busted up while serving in our most outstanding United States Military. It's actually very easy to get them nowadays with the mission being performed here and there.

And most certainly you don't have to "rant and rave and b*tch and complain and argue" to recieve yours. You live just a short five minute drive to the National Park headquarters where they have them for sale.

I'm pretty sure that Pete and Terry got this thread going as an information sharing tool. If you didn't sneak up from below the border then you get no hand out of some sort. Has to be earned or purchased for us law abiding citizens. Just fair and equitable treatment across state borders is all anyone is seeking, atleast the way I'm reading it. Maybe Vicki will clear it up for us.

AS LONG AS the money goes BACK TO THE DUMONT.. if the damn half a$$ road wasn't so SH_TY.. if they had more rangers etc....

I say keep the road the way it was, waayy back in 1990. Keeps the whiney a$$ b*tches out of dumont.

Edited by dunefreak

• 1 month later...

How about making a double penalty weekend for the Holidays, like they do in construction zones. They are under staffed so charge double for a ticket. then the people that need the law inforcement (jacka$$es) pay for the service. Just an idea that could be looked at. I agree that $10 dollars isn't much, but it sure will make the lines getting in and out longer for the people that have a pass. And if the law guys do their job, they should never have downtime while on duty. I see illegal stuff every minute while out there on a holiday weekend.

I agree with you 100%. We see all kinds of idiots out in Dumont, esp on busy weekends. Punish the morons, not the masses!!!

Yeah like my incident..."He was speeding on the flats and roosted us"(me)..."So everyone does that"(ranger)

WTF is up with that...I know everyone does it.There is a rule against it but they dont do anyting about it.

Kind of like when my hubby got a $50 no helmet ticket riding a 50cc quad 2 mph INSIDE our camp, while all these rails and quads are flying by close to our camp! Now we won't even unload our quads out of the toy hauler w/o a helmet! And then we see all kinds of idiots riding around with no helmet and doubles!

• 5 weeks later...

I've been going out ot Dumont since the early 80's. I knew things were going to eventually change and the place become extremely popular due to the increase in ATV's, OHV's, and all the other assorted off road vehicles. I can remember when a BLM representative came to our camp to discuss the POSSIBLE fees that were being considered. We, our group, told him that it would eventually be warranted to maintain peace on the overcrowded weekends but the fees should be facility oriented. Meaning, fees should reflect services. Unfortunately this is not the case. We have mentioned placing a facility on-site for trash collection. This MAY help prevent the amount of trash being left at the dunes after a big weekend. We were told that this was NOT POSSIBLE due to the cost in emptying the containers. I was glad to see them finally pave the roadway into the dunes. That tells me something is happening especially after one of the nuckleheads at the fee booth told us that they were only going to grade the road on holiday weekends. I thought that was pretty rude and I was getting screwed since I never go to the dunes on Holiday weekends and have to pay what everyone else does. Also, I am very please that the Dumont Dune Riders host a clean-up of the Dunes and it's done with volunteers. NO PAY INVOLVED. MAYBE THESE MEMBERS SHOULD GET A DISCOUNT ON THEIR FEES. I would like to help but my job doesn't allow me the time to get away when these events are held. Sorry!!!

As far as the amount of cash it takes to enjoy myself, I feel it's worth it. But, I also expect something in return. Being able to use the dunes that I have always been able to use but at a cost now is not what I'm talking about. I think the govenrment is using some of the money for other downfalls they have and they aren't telling us. Sound familiar. Maybe the BLM should post on the web a financial report indicating how much was brought in to their agency and how much was spent on the facilities. This should include ALL COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH MAINTAINING DUMONT, HOW MUCH WAS SPENT ON CONTRACTORS COLLECTING FEES, ALL COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH STAFFING EXTRA BLM PERSONNEL, THE PURCHASING OF OFF-ROAD EQUIPMENT TO ALLOW THEM TO DO THEIR JOB, AND ONGOING/ANNUAL EXPENDITURES. What do you think? You should have an opinion since it's your money and your government. :DDRrocks:

Edited by dune buster

I've been going out ot Dumont since the early 80's. I knew things were going to eventually change and the place become extremely popular due to the increase in ATV's, OHV's, and all the other assorted off road vehicles. I can remember when a BLM representative came to our camp to discuss the POSSIBLE fees that were being considered. We, our group, told him that it would eventually be warranted to maintain peace on the overcrowded weekends but the fees should be facility oriented. Meaning, fees should reflect services. Unfortunately this is not the case. We have mentioned placing a facility on-site for trash collection. This MAY help prevent the amount of trash being left at the dunes after a big weekend. We were told that this was NOT POSSIBLE due to the cost in emptying the containers. I was glad to see them finally pave the roadway into the dunes. That tells me something is happening especially after one of the nuckleheads at the fee booth told us that they were only going to grade the road on holiday weekends. I thought that was pretty rude and I was getting screwed since I never go to the dunes on Holiday weekends and have to pay what everyone else does. Also, I am very please that the Dumont Dune Riders host a clean-up of the Dunes and it's done with volunteers. NO PAY INVOLVED. MAYBE THESE MEMBERS SHOULD GET A DISCOUNT ON THEIR FEES. I would like to help but my job doesn't allow me the time to get away when these events are held. Sorry!!!

As far as the amount of cash it takes to enjoy myself, I feel it's worth it. But, I also expect something in return. Being able to use the dunes that I have always been able to use but at a cost now is not what I'm talking about. I think the govenrment is using some of the money for other downfalls they have and they aren't telling us. Sound familiar. Maybe the BLM should post on the web a financial report indicating how much was brought in to their agency and how much was spent on the facilities. This should include ALL COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH MAINTAINING DUMONT, HOW MUCH WAS SPENT ON CONTRACTORS COLLECTING FEES, ALL COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH STAFFING EXTRA BLM PERSONNEL, THE PURCHASING OF OFF-ROAD EQUIPMENT TO ALLOW THEM TO DO THEIR JOB, AND ONGOING/ANNUAL EXPENDITURES. What do you think? You should have an opinion since it's your money and your government. :DDRrocks:

Since this is DDR's website I also will acknowledge their HELP in putting on the clean up, however this event has been and will always be put on by the Friends Odf Dumont Dunes.ORG and has been for the last 5 years.

As for the BLM fees and oversight of their use of the money this is monitered by the TRT and we definetly look at every dime they spend. if you look through other posts on this site about the TRT meetings and fee increases you will see that we( Dumont) have lost all our Green sticker money and Congressional allocations. This is the reason for the increase. As for services over the last 2 years that fees have been in place services have increased from no on hand LEO/EMT's on busy weekends and most other weekends they were on call from Baker to on site staff. We have also upgraded the road, kept the bathrooms clean and pumped out and have 2 volunteers out there all season. These things were not there before and have been made possible by the fee demo money. We also have 2 water trucks and use of graders and a loader that were not available before. If you need any other info please let me know and I will do what I can do to assist. The next meeting of the TRT is set for August 14th in Barstow if you would like to and can attend.

Terry

Edited by ynot

Also, I am very please that the Dumont Dune Riders host a clean-up of the Dunes and it's done with volunteers.

BTW: As Terry (ynot) said- the cleanup is put on by FoDD (Friends of Dumont Dunes), not us at DDR. We only helped.

BTW: As Terry (ynot) said- the cleanup is put on by FoDD (Friends of Dumont Dunes), not us at DDR. We only helped.

Thank you for correcting me and passing along the other info. The credit needs to where it is deserved. I will make every attempt to attend the meeting in August. I work that day but will try to get someone to cover me. Thanks, Gary

I was wondering did others pay like we did for the night ride? I noticed a ranger out there probably looking confused, trying to figure out why so many people were out there on that day. He didn't go far, but he was there.

When do the new fees go into effect?

Edited by NicoleinVegas

I was wondering did others pay like we did for the night ride? I noticed a ranger out there probably looking confused, trying to figure out why so many people were out there on that day. He didn't go far, but he was there.

New fees go into effect 10-01-2007. At the next TRT meeting we are talking about buying passes at local retailers and from BLM direct by online or phone.

i was getting ready too but a guy pulling a trailer went around and didn't pay so i just followed him... wish they had a day use fee like pismo.

I know I will continue to pay so we have a place to ride. They threaten to close places down and knowing how our car club scene has gone with losing venues all over and not that many shows...it stinks.

You guys mention TRT...is ASA for Glamis? Same thing...different?

Actually both areas have Techanical Review Teams (TRT). The ASA does nothing for Dumont and is only focused on Glamis. If there was a problem at Dumont IE: a threat of closeure I am sure ASA would be asked to help as it will affect their area sooner than later.

Ok just wondering cause I get email from ASA all the time and have thought about trying to help out, but thought it was also for Dumont.

If you really want to help Dumont you need to get in touch with

Friends of Dumont Dunes

They can point you in the right direction to become a member.

i was getting ready too but a guy pulling a trailer went around and didn't pay so i just followed him... wish they had a day use fee like pismo.

I might be wrong, But I thought Dumont did have a daypass/ weekend use fee.

Edited by ORIGINALPIMP