airbags VS timbrens

I have been leaning towards getting some lift help on the rearend of my vehicle with the hauler attached.

I have the hauler hooked up, as well as the DS in the back of my truck. I travel with water full, and about 9-10K lbs fully loaded.

I figure around 12-1500 lbs tongue weight, plus the DS in the bed. the truck does squat....not bad though

has anyone here used either, or both? what are your thoughts about these

thanks

cheese

Hey Cheesy....I had timbrens. I towed with them for two or three trips and I took them off. I guess the only way I can explain them is it's like having glorified bump stops....I would suggest spending the extra money and go with airbags :freakin_nuts:

Hey Cheese,

What kinda set-up do you have going right now?

single pack of leafs or overloads?

Lifted or not, Blocks or aftermarket springs? :freakin_nuts:

I got ideas I'm thinkin' about for my set-up.

R-

Hey Cheesy....I had timbrens. I towed with them for two or three trips and I took them off. I guess the only way I can explain them is it's like having glorified bump stops....I would suggest spending the extra money and go with airbags :freakin_nuts:

I agree with wingnut. With Timbrens its like your always on the bump stop. A set of Firestone bags with all the mounting hardware is only $275.00. Add a little more if you want a controller and an onboard compressor. It is well worth it. :freakin_nuts:

Edited by mredgy

Hey Cheesy....I had timbrens. I towed with them for two or three trips and I took them off. I guess the only way I can explain them is it's like having glorified bump stops....I would suggest spending the extra money and go with airbags :barf:

holy sheet wingnut......no smartazzedness from you today?

:freakin_nuts:

but the day's not over yet

:freakin_nuts:

Hey Cheese,

What kinda set-up do you have going right now?

single pack of leafs or overloads?

Lifted or not, Blocks or aftermarket springs? :barf:

I got ideas I'm thinkin' about for my set-up.

R-

stock suspension with stock leafs in the back

stock suspension with stock leafs in the back

So do you have overload springs that come into play after the truck has sagged a bit?

I ask because, When your not towing air bags will stiffen your ride even with 5-10 lbs in them.

So I'm not putting them on my truck.

I plan to make spacers that I can put on the overload springs before I hook up my trailer.

This will engage the overloads instantly, creating less sag when hooked up.

What do you think of that? What does anyone think of that? :freakin_nuts:

So do you have overload springs that come into play after the truck has sagged a bit?

I ask because, When your not towing air bags will stiffen your ride even with 5-10 lbs in them.

So I'm not putting them on my truck.

I plan to make spacers that I can put on the overload springs before I hook up my trailer.

This will engage the overloads instantly, creating less sag when hooked up.

What do you think of that? What does anyone think of that? :freakin_nuts:

i think thats a pretty good :freakin_nuts: idea randog.

can the bags be ran lower than 5psi?

i think thats a pretty good :barf: idea randog.

can the bags be ran lower than 5psi?

:freakin_nuts: You and that smilie. :freakin_nuts: Thanks

I've been told to always run at least 5psi in them to prevent from smashing them.

5psi ain't much, but I want the rear of the truck to be as SOFT as possible for the best ride.

So I think, just don't even put bags on, if you don't need all that support.

However everyone has their own :barf: opinion anyways. :barf:

Randog thats why most people pull the overload off when they put bags on.. you get the same soft ride but then have the extra umpf so to speak of the bags... at least thats what i have been told and read :D

Dog is right, you have to keep a minimum of 5lbs of pressure in the bags. However, I have only noticed the stiffer ride come into play when I forgot to air down. If you drop the trailer and hit the freeway :blink: the next morning with 75lbs of air in the bags :watching: .....watchout :watching:

PS: I have never removed the overloads :beerpint: