Dumont Dunes Fence

I hope I didn't come off as a smarta$$ or sound like a jerk. That was not my intentions. I used to be like you. I alwas asked how in the hell can they get away with closing public land to the public. I've done ALOT of reading on the subject and I'm always amazed at what the eco-terrorists get away with.

ive seeen you in smartass mode i know your not. :driver: you could be much worse if that was yor intention :icon_twisted:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We put up a fence today when we were out there so we're all set!!!

Yep...it's an invisible fence that when you go out of bounds and hit it you get thrown back into the middle of the dunes like in the ATV Offroad Fury video game. :icon_twisted:

More cops / enforcement of the laws on the books is the key. A fence = an exercise in futility. Maybe I'm a simpleton, however, how about taking some (it wouldnt take much mind you) of that 500k and using it for air support and helicopter spotters on major weekends? Observe the violators in the sky and call in the calvary....enforce the laws and issue a steep fine........I used to speed all the time on the freeway until I got caught! :dolphin:

I asked some more questions about this fence and any ongoing costs and here's what I was told.

The maintenance costs are expected to be minimal and will be offset by the subsequent reduced need to police the area and for BLM to maintain the area's status. Currently there is an expense associated with removing the tracks left by riders wandering beyond the open boundaries, trash removal, etc. There are also countless hours being spent by BLM representatives in attending meetings and holding discussions on how to alleviate the problem... reducing that workload will reduce the overall costs associated with the boundaries.

Finally, any maintenance costs that may be incurred can come from a variety of sources. There are wilderness funds (non entry-fee related) that can be tapped, operational funds (non entry-fee related) or even recreation funds (also non entry-fee related). However, if the duning public creates the need for maintenance (i.e., pulling the fence down for passage), of course the costs to repair the fencing will most likely come from money generated by the duning public.

VickiW

I have no problem with them putting up the fence to protect that area. But I do have a problem with them putting up any other fence surronding the whole dune area. And that is what there ultimate plan is. it will take years to get the funding for it but what happens when the fence is all up and some little envrio group decides to file law suits and some green judge decides to close the area "temporarly". All they have to do is fence the road and we are done. I am against the use of tax dollars or fee money to enclose the Dumont Dune area.

I have no problem with them putting up the fence to protect that area. But I do have a problem with them putting up any other fence surronding the whole dune area. And that is what there ultimate plan is. it will take years to get the funding for it but what happens when the fence is all up and some little envrio group decides to file law suits and some green judge decides to close the area "temporarly". All they have to do is fence the road and we are done. I am against the use of tax dollars or fee money to enclose the Dumont Dune area.

This is all sounding very familiar... Sand Mountain maybe?

Let's make sure this is discussed at the next TRT meeting. Between now and then we need as many facts posted as possible so that members of the Dumont dune community can speak with knowledge and authority.

VickiW

Which "they" do you mean? If it's the BLM, "they" have left things alone and now they can't do that any longer or else "we" will lose riding areas.

If the "they" you are referring to is the people who are riding in the closed areas, that's what we're working on here... finding a way to keep people from going into the closed areas so that our open riding areas do not become targets for closure.

VickiW

AHHH the good ole' days when nobody said nothin! :redneck:

smitty there is a helicopter pad going in they are adresing that issue.

fodd

unless ive missread this it sounds like the dencing area is concentrated around the north pole ??

so why the need for fencing the road in??

how a bout more clealry marked boundry sighns. some of them you dont even know your outabounds.

fodd

unless ive missread this it sounds like the dencing area is concentrated around the north pole ??

so why the need for fencing the road in??

how a bout more clealry marked boundry sighns. some of them you dont even know your outabounds.

Bob the first part of the fencing project is actually going to be in the area between the south end of the dunes and the route to the little dunes. They want to keep riders off of that Mountain area between the two. This would keep that area preserved and let the paths which have been created time to recover. You would still have full access to the trail along the flats to get to the little dunes but no shortcuts over the hill.

Terry :DDRrocks:

Bob the first part of the fencing project is actually going to be in the area between the south end of the dunes and the route to the little dunes. They want to keep riders off of that Mountain area between the two. This would keep that area preserved and let the paths which have been created time to recover. You would still have full access to the trail along the flats to get to the little dunes but no shortcuts over the hill.

Terry :lol:

that is the area im refering to about not very well marked on that path we went to the gold mine and a couple of times i wondered to far over not much but then i would see the markers and go o crap and move over i was on a quad so i was more concentrated on riding and not getting run over. and they kind of snuck up on me.

maybe im wrong but it doesnt seem to have enough sighns up :DDRrocks:

just a suggestion

one last question what would be the reasoning for fencing the road?? you must be reffering to the path between the big dunes and the little dunes ????

wouldnt it be cheaper and more asthesticly pleasing to use

large rocks to border that path ?? ill go one step further and suggest maybe native rocks in and around thebackside of the dunes by south pole . so its naturale to the area.

its not as if they have to be slammed together to keep quads out but with that and markers would seem more naturale and less intrusive . and the cost would be greatly reduced. it could be done in roughly 3 weeks with a 4 man crew and a track loader and a post hole digger and some sighns roughly 150 to 200 thousand with sighns.

large rocks to border that path ?? ill go one step further and suggest maybe native rocks in and around thebackside of the dunes by south pole . so its naturale to the area.

its not as if they have to be slammed together to keep quads out but with that and markers would seem more naturale and less intrusive . and the cost would be greatly reduced. it could be done in roughly 3 weeks with a 4 man crew and a track loader and a post hole digger and some sighns roughly 150 to 200 thousand with sighns.

I agree... :DDRrocks:

that is the area im refering to about not very well marked on that path we went to the gold mine and a couple of times i wondered to far over not much but then i would see the markers and go o crap and move over i was on a quad so i was more concentrated on riding and not getting run over. and they kind of snuck up on me.

maybe im wrong but it doesnt seem to have enough sighns up :lol:

just a suggestion

one last question what would be the reasoning for fencing the road?? you must be reffering to the path between the big dunes and the little dunes ????

Bob, I agree with you that there is not enough signage and I know some was put up on the clean up sat. by the BLM. I further agree that rocks and signs might be a better way to go but i would have to see what "enviromental impact" moving native rocks would have. It's stupid tat we have to consider this but it is what the BLM has to go through also. We will make the suggestion to the Field Manager at the SSSS next week.

I appreciate the idea! :DDRrocks:

I heard of the medical support landing pad but I was referring to strictly "airborne cops".....

With the presence of a chopper patrolling the skies, people prone to TOMFOOLERY , SHANNANIGANS, or BOOBERY would be less likely to perpetrate their nonsense (works for the "out-of-bounds" peeps as well)

(if NE1 says anything about "big brother", :cry: )

:ban-split:

I do agree with the current boundary posts being hard to see...So I highly support the posting of larger boundary markers/signs. And I may be wrong, but I'm guessing that the boundary passers are more likely kids, so by posting up large boundary signs that actually reveal the fine amount for crossing, it may actually deter the kids. An actual cash amount to scare kids from their parents! :beercheers:

• 4 weeks later...

This just sonds like more BLM b.s. what is there to bother out there. Wake up people its the dessert it is deserted. More wasted money by the feds, trying to justify there jobs. When will all of this just stop.

i think the money for the fence should be used for more LEO presence in the dunes, an start writing tickets to every azzhat that breaks the speed limit around camp law, along with reckless driving etc..

No, not to enforce that any more than they are already....because evidentally driving on the finger dune is reckless! :rant_on: :drinkbeer::MBdance:

:rant: