ONAN 5500 REPAIR

sMitty

Having recently been the victim of a plugged carb, a local RV dealership (Cal's) wants to charge me $364.00 for a new carb, and labor. Is that the norm or should I look elsewhere?????? If somebody says thats par, Im gonna :laughing:

Anyone have a good fix it place or am I gonna have to suck it up? :redneck:

Having recently been the victim of a plugged carb, a local RV dealership (Cal's) wants to charge me $364.00 for a new carb, and labor. Is that the norm or should I look elsewhere?????? If somebody says thats par, Im gonna :laughing:

Anyone have a good fix it place or am I gonna have to suck it up? :redneck:

thats not a bad price for replacement!!

look on the internet if your not in a hurry. The carbs are not rebuilable which sucks. make sure you run it every month or so to clean out the old gas so it doesnt gum up on you.

If your are somewhat handy you can do the swap yourself. Its not too hard at all. grab a beer and knock it out.

I was thinking about adding a fuel shutoff in the line going to the Onan so when i want to store it for the off season I can close the line and let the generator run the carb dry.

ok how about taking it apart and diping it in carb cleaner there is a cleaner called (carb dip) works great its your next best thing. why buy new when you can just fix the one you got?

You can't do that. they put brass plugs on the carb to seal it. the passages that need to be cleaned are behind the brass plugs and they are tiny and not removable.

they are like a freeze plug on a motor but not servicable.

Edited by bpguy

Did you mess with it at all before taking it there. You can pull the bowl on it, can't you. And pull the air mixture screw, that is what usually gets plugged with gunk.

...all the quick fixes didnt work.....apparently, its pretty bad.....Ill put a valve on it and run it dry....so much for putting the stabil in!!!

THNX A:: :DDRrocks:

...all the quick fixes didnt work.....apparently, its pretty bad.....Ill put a valve on it and run it dry....so much for putting the stabil in!!!

THNX A:: :DDRrocks:

I loosen the drain plug at the bottom of the bowl and hook an old fuel vent hose from my dirt bike and just drain the bowl. You don't even need a shut off. I do it every time I park the hauler.

Also,

If you end up having a new one installed you might check with Cummins. They are over off of Losey Road somewhere near Cheyenne or Craig. Cummins is the manufacturer, just to see if they are less than Cals.

My carb on my onan was plugged too. what i did was i bought the onan carb cleaner and sprayed it in the carb let it sit then started it up. I kept on spraying the cleaner through the intake till i used the whole can. never had a problem with it since and it was only 12.00 for the can. just a thought if you didnt want to spend the 512 right now. but only use the onan carb cleaner.

Edited by 1sicbuggy