Changing trailer tires

aseman

Okay, so I have a 23ft. attitude hauler and am wondering about how/where to jack it up from??? If it needs to be hitched to the truck while jacking or not??? Never done it, but in the event I need to I would really like to know? :eatdrink021: :beercheers:

Okay, so I have a 23ft. attitude hauler and am wondering about how/where to jack it up from??? If it needs to be hitched to the truck while jacking or not??? Never done it, but in the event I need to I would really like to know? :eatdrink021: :beercheers:

under the axel close to the spring or torsion pack never in the middle of the axel. or directly on the main frame rail. is where i lift mine from.

if its a fifth wheel i wouldnt suggest trying to lift more than i axel at a time. especially if its sitting on its landing gear.

you only need to lift it just high enough to get a lil air under the tire . if both tires need to be removed on one side lift one axel at a time .jack stand it, and then lift other axel and jack stand it.

Edited by barefoot bob

Last year when I blew a trailer tire, I used the points that Bob pointed out, but it took me forever with my 5th wheel. Hopefully Ynot will chime in on this subject. He told me about some ramps you can just pull up or back on to get the blown tire off the ground. I have been trying to find them, but no luck yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I personally had a blowout coming home from the D last Thanksgiving and I found that the hydraulic bottle jack that came with my truck worked just fine to swap out the tire. Had it changed out in about 10 minutes using a crescent wrench cause the hub cap wouldn't allow my lug wrench to get onto the nut. Problem fixed, I now have a socket and long half inch drive breaker bar in the trailer. Unless your truck has one of those cheap :beercheers: screw jacks that can't lift a quad you should have no need for the ramps or a block of wood or any other money wasting gadget.

• 2 weeks later...

12 ton bottle jack 2 wheel chocks and a large breaker bar with the appropriate socket. I learned to leave the bottle jack in the trailer. We pulled with a different truck and had a flat. The junky jack in the chevy was of no use. Had to wait for roadside. Guess after all these years it paid off??????????????

Oh thanks guys! Yeah I was definately wondering since the manufacturer doesn't provide any emergency tire changing tools...other than the tire itself. And my trailer is a 23ft. hauler so I think the wood block trick will work! I always carry large blocks for the stabilizer jacks. :D