Sandrail Suggestions

steveo

Ok, We are finally looking to purchase a rail. we would like to have one for our Labor day trip to Cpral Pink if at all possible. I am looking for any suggestions that you all may have on what we should get. I was originally looking at a short sand car but the wife would like to purchase a 4-5 seater V-8 if we can find one for the right price.

we would like to stay around the 35-40,000 $ range. as far as 4 or 5 seater we are open on that.

just so everyone knows up front we are not looking for anything that may look like something that the BabertHalFella's dad built. :mc_smiley: :laughing: (inside Joke)

Any suggestions will be a big help,

Thanks

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve this is something that you cant just up and say i like that one ill take 2 please... lots of things have to be considered and you have to know WHAT to look for..

Saftey

Customer Service

Frame Design:

Is it built right

What material

Plenty of cross bracing

Seat belt tabs/mounting

motor mounting

Does the car appeal to you?

How is the suspension?

How heavy is it?

Mid Engine, Rear Engine?

TONS AND TONS of questions should be asked and things taken into consideration before you even think about purchasing a car.. You should also get as many rides as possible in as many diffrent cars as possible.. Diffrent cars handle diffrent ways.. Have diffrent suspension designs and its not something you just walk into a manufacturers shop and go wow that looks cool ill take it..

DO YOUR HOMEWORK!! There are several forums on the internet that if you take your time and read you will get a good idea who some good manufacturers are.

NOW TO MY SUGGESTIONS:

Desert Dynamics, Proven Safe, Good Ride, Motor options are whatever you want, Price is very economical for a complete turn key car

Drawbacks of the DD car is who assembles it? You need to find a reputable builder to assemble the car for you unless you plan on doing it yourself.

If i had 40k to spend on a sand car.. the DD 2 seat mid engine w/ a turnkey 510hp ls1 w/ mendi 4s would be the way i would go... but thats me..

Again get as many rides as possible.. make a list of cars that you like, if they look good to your eye then write them down and investigate further on each company. Not everyone can go and buy a 90k tatum ( cough 3rotortrav ), we have to seek alternatives and there are tons of them out there... Do your homework and make sure that SAFTEY comes before what looks good.. SAFTEY is key.

My Priorities:

Saftey

Customer Service

Reputable company ( will they still be around in 3 years when you need help )

Suspension

Trans

Motor

Saftey

Asthetics ( how the frame appeals to you )

im lightyears away from buying what he wants but is a 4-5 seater long travel in that price range even in this solar system. i have seen used up prerunner offroad cars that are still 60-70 thousand. i do look around just to see what kind of pricing and i hadnt seen any yet. thats not saying they dont exist i just havent run across any?

rcjunky Desert Dynamics can be done for his price range if you leave out a few options such as powdercoating and bling bling.. :D

the honda works perfectly fine in that car as don29palms has a DD car w/ the honda and it works very well for him..

The Deals are out there Steveo. Look Used, I did and got a great 4 seat tatum. Its not an LS-1 V8 like you mentioned, But it will eat most of them for lunch. Pick up the cycle trader and hit the cycle trader online. The end of the season is near and the good deals are here. If you need me to look at cars in so cal for you, Let me know. I have no problem going to look at cars and getting an idea of what they are before you drive to so cal to look. W e know how found you are of Purple, Maybe Don will sell you his!!!!!! lol

Good luck :mc_smiley:

more than likely when i buy one it would be a honda after all they are the manufacturer with the highest hp per liter and look at the longevity. have you ever seen a civic go under 10 seconds naturally aspirated no nitrous and it was a 1.6 single overhead cam. i was just wondering if you could get an ls1 powered for 40k or less.

Just a FYI the owner of Extreme motorsports on Gibson has a 5 seat car with the LS 1 still in the crate. A Mendi 2D and lot's of other things. It is not complete but he is willing to sell it for 45K. You might call him and talk to him. I am not sure who the frame is but at least it's an option. I agree with Pete, saftey is the utmost concern. Also keep in mind that the rear engine cars are a lot longer in the azz and make it a little harder to fit them in a trailer espically without changing paddles. Like Pete said take your time and look used. I got lucky with mine just as Don did.

Wow ynot... i didnt even realize pete posted in here.. hahahahaha...

btw im nick remember.. lol

Steveo

Brand new Suspensions Unlimited - 40k

Wuerth Car - 36k

If your up for a project car check out this Desert Dynamics Car

Just a few that i would seriously consider... that suspensions unlimited car is very appealing simply because Suspensions unlimited spends alot of time in dumont.. if you have any problems just drag it over to thier trailer and i bet they could help a fella out.. :D Also kathi does free demo rides so you can get a idea how the car handles and feels..

Nick ,sorry was not really paying attention. Anyway Steve, The SU trailer and cars will be out at Dumont for clean up if you can make it. I am sure they will be glad to take you for a ride and tell you what they have.

Wow ynot... i didnt even realize pete posted in here.. hahahahaha...

btw im nick remember.. lol

Steveo

Brand new Suspensions Unlimited - 40k

Wuerth Car - 36k

If your up for a project car check out this Desert Dynamics Car

Just a few that i would seriously consider... that suspensions unlimited car is very appealing simply because Suspensions unlimited spends alot of time in dumont.. if you have any problems just drag it over to thier trailer and i bet they could help a fella out.. :D Also kathi does free demo rides so you can get a idea how the car handles and feels..

The first car is Suspension Ultra light car and has single shear pivots all around and an 091 trans. Probably a nice car but i would want it to be alittle beefier.

The second car has a 091 bus box. Although it might hold up to that Subie motor, I would not spend that kind of money and not go with a Mendeola.

The third car seems pretty good, but you will have alot of money to complete it, like coil carriers, by-pass shocks, lights, powerstreering(going to need it on that heavy of a car) and the list goes on. Not to mention the car will weigh about 2800 pounds and only have 400HP. It would be great for duning, but wouldn't have the ponies to push you back in the seat. And alot of sweat and cuss words to put it together.

But, as you can see, Nick probably found those cars in a matter of minutes. And there are alot more out there. i will definately search them out as well.

A used Funco would be a great car if you can get over the mini-van look.

Edited by JoeDuner

Joe i do have my reasons for picking these cars.. they werent the first 3 in the list... First off this is his first car.. I wouldnt suggest the highest horsepower motor, the plushest suspension to soak up your mistakes or the bling cuz your gonna hurt something... I honestly believe a persons first car should be a standard travel BLACK BEAUTY style rail... Learn how to drive and then step up to the bling and horsepower.. :D

As far as the tranny comment i dont believe steve will drive this car hard enough to do any damage to the tranny. being his first car i dont expect alot of abuse... Thats why tranny didnt play big in my choices.. :D

Suspensions unlimited backed by thier QUALITY customer service

Wuerth makes a nice and stout car backed by good customer service..

Desert Dynamics.. A very well proven chassis design.. 80% of the parts are there and what a better way to get to know your car how to fix it and what goes into OWNING one of these cars..

As far as the tranny comment i dont believe steve will drive this car hard enough to do any damage to the tranny. being his first car i dont expect alot of abuse... Thats why tranny didnt play big in my choices..

think again, Nick :mc_smiley: Did you ever think as a first car, it may get MORE abuse as he may be on the gas & brakes more requiring MORE shifting rather than a faster paced driving style which is actually easier on drivetrain. Just my .02

I honestly believe a persons first car should be a standard travel BLACK BEAUTY style rail... Learn how to drive and then step up to the bling and horsepower..

I have to agree with that. I am on my 9th trip with my rail and I seem to get better every trip...at least that's what my buddies are telling me. But with a 1835 in a little rail like mine it seems plenty fast at my current skill level.

think again, Nick :finger: Did you ever think as a first car, it may get MORE abuse as he may be on the gas & brakes more requiring MORE shifting rather than a faster paced driving style which is actually easier on drivetrain. Just my .02

Think again pete... Hes not going to be launching off the lip at the bottomof comp and landing on the gas which helps destroy trannys... hes not goign to be sidestepping the clutch at 6k to try and wheelie the car another trans killer... Normal shifting and acceleration will not put the hurt on the tranny as much as a more experienced driver having a little fun launching it off some lips and trying to wheelie the darn thing..

Also i would like to think that he would break the Tranny doing something stupid before he breaks himself... People get over confident real fast and start doing things they shouldnt be doing and thats how people get hurt.. Look at me i have a brand new rail w/ a v8 and im gonna go wheelie up comp and OHH GOD THERES A QUAD THERE... or lets jump over this lip blindly cuz i have a big bad a$$ car and oops i just killed someone cuz i was wreckless... IF you limit the car until you are ready to step up to a big bad car that would be the way to go...

My honest opinion of what steve should do... is buy Sand~Snakes car... Learn how to drive in the dunes navigate the dunes... then step up to a bit more power and suspension...

Think again pete... Hes not going to be launching off the lip at the bottomof comp and landing on the gas which helps destroy trannys... hes not goign to be sidestepping the clutch at 6k to try and wheelie the car another trans killer... Normal shifting and acceleration will not put the hurt on the tranny as much as a more experienced driver having a little fun launching it off some lips and trying to wheelie the darn thing..

Also i would like to think that he would break the Tranny doing something stupid before he breaks himself... People get over confident real fast and start doing things they shouldnt be doing and thats how people get hurt.. Look at me i have a brand new rail w/ a v8 and im gonna go wheelie up comp and OHH GOD THERES A QUAD THERE... or lets jump over this lip blindly cuz i have a big bad a$$ car and oops i just killed someone cuz i was wreckless... IF you limit the car until you are ready to step up to a big bad car that would be the way to go...

My honest opinion of what steve should do... is buy Sand~Snakes car... Learn how to drive in the dunes navigate the dunes... then step up to a bit more power and suspension...

Uh..no. I'll disagree w/ that. Steve isn't gonna get over confident w/ the car. He has driven my car and did damn well. He is extremely cautious and I think if he bought a cheaper car like Sand~~Snake's, he'd want to step up in no time flat. Why waste time w/ a car like that when he has his eye on something he knows he wants like a LONG travel. Should I have settled for a standard travel VW car when I bought my car??.....no. I had never driven in the dunes EVER before I bought my car and am extremely glad I purchased the car I did rather than starting cheap. I would have probably gotten extremely bored w/ a car like your're talking about as I already know Steve will too.

In my opinion, you don't need a "cheaper" car to learn how to drive in the dunes. Trust me, I know you don't need a high dollar car either to have fun, but Steve knows what he wants. That's all.

Steveo,

Check some of these out... They are from GlamisDunes.com in the Buy/Sell section. That is where I found mine... :finger:

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index....showtopic=66570

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index....showtopic=69716

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index....showtopic=63517

Hope you find one you like. Word of advise, look around and compare. You will find a nice one for that price.

I have seen tooooo many horror stories about people and THEIR first rails... Growing up in glamis i got exposed to alot of look daddy just took him and the kids on the first ride was 3rd gear wide open and sailed into a bowl killin 2 of the 3 passengers... Guess what he bought a 50k dollar rail and thought he was robby gordon... Im just looking out for the best intrest of the community and giving my opinions... And they are just OPINIONS nothing personal..

btw SAY NOOOOO TO PLAYTECH... that first link JJ is CRAP!!!! Quicksand is a good company but not on top of my list. And sandrail specialties is in the same neighborhood as quicksand..

Edited by Don29palms

...look daddy just took him and the kids on the first ride was 3rd gear wide open and sailed into a bowl killin 2 of the 3 passengers... Guess what he bought a 50k dollar rail and thought he was robby gordon... Im just looking out for the best intrest of the community and giving my opinions... And they are just OPINIONS nothing personal..

Nick I know what you're saying, but the same can happen to someone who has a $10K rail and a $50K rail. Remember this story...?

HPIM0700.jpg

I knew what I wanted when I got my first car, I wanted and got a long travel car that seat 4 its fun and fast. I can jump it and have fun in it without killing my back. Why buy a cheap standard travel car when you can afford a better car that you can grow into and not out of. SteveO knows what he wants and I think hes on the right path. For the money he is looking to spend. He can buy a keeper and not a car he will grow out of or have to spend a fortune on to upgrade. There are plenty of 65k dollar cars out there that come up for sale for 45k obo which usually means 40k will buy it. Set your goals for what you want Steveo and dont settle. I almost settled for less and would have still been kicking myself in the a$$ if I would have. My Bro Joe kept me focused and found my car. :finger: I got a kickass car for the money I was willing to pay. Be patient. Youll get exactly what you are lookiing for. Here is a pic of my 40k car I know you all have seen it. But I just like to look at it. lol

post-225-1141783450_thumb.jpg

Edited by Don29palms

Don't waste your time with a standard travel car.Just cause someone has a V8 long travel car doesn't mean they have to be stupid. I've seen idiots driving everything from an old 2 wheeler to an expensive buggy. I think Tim hit it right on the head when he said buy a car you can grow into and not out of.

P.S. You can get a car like mine for right around 35K brand new.

Edited by Don29palms