Sandrail wheelies into a Banshee on comp

dunefreak

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure that Randy is cooperating with the LEOs. I think you guys are jumping the gun.

On top of the terrible tragedy, Randy has a busted car that he is going to have to explain to the insurance co. or, if no insurance, is going to want this pissant to pay for.

I am thinking that this is closer to a resolve than everyone here thinks.

Doing wheelies on a busy weekend or even when others are on the hill is just plain stupid and like someone else said, all the big cars can do them now. It's not impressive. Do them out in the dunes, not in the crowds. How many of you have stopped a guy doing something stupid in a crowd and calmly explained to them that what thye are doing is not appropriate? Maybe we all have some blame on us too.....

not jumping the gun !!! the jack a$$ that ran should have stayed there!!!!!!!!!

I am not going to name names, but someone is going to log on tonight and say who the driver is and possibly how to get ahold of them. I know the name, but since they said they already have it I am not going to post it. But if someone related to the accident needs it and does not have it PM me and I will tell you.

I am sure that Randy is cooperating with the LEOs. I think you guys are jumping the gun.

On top of the terrible tragedy, Randy has a busted car that he is going to have to explain to the insurance co. or, if no insurance, is going to want this pissant to pay for.

Doing wheelies on a busy weekend or even when others are on the hill is just plain stupid and like someone else said, all the big cars can do them now. It's not impressive. Do them out in the dunes, not in the crowds. How many of you have stopped a guy doing something stupid in a crowd and calmly explained to them that what thye are doing is not appropriate? Maybe we all have some blame on us too.....

Blame yourself!! IF the guy wasnt such a D!C% then would OWN up and face the music. NO ONE TO BLAME BUT THE a$$ THAT DID IT!!! He is an adult.. no one to blame but him

the busted up car ? who cares what about his 3 year old son and wife that seen him get run over!!!!

exactly!!

Capt

I don't think his busted up car can even come close to the medical bills that will be coming. Much less time from work or away from family. I can only imagine how terrible today must be for his family.

Not to mention he must have let the guy drive it which means he has to take some responsibility in the damages.

I wasn't there so excuse me if this sounds stupid, but how did he not see the rail coming. Unless the rail came from behind or from the rear quarter I guess you would say. Just curious as to how the rail got close without being able to avoid a collision. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned he was there in his own rail but wanted to take a run up on the bashee....was he an experienced quad rider??? Just a couple of questions

I have to sayI hate that rail, we were doing a dune ride with rails leading and quads following, who ever was driving at that time would not stay on the peak and dropped out, everyone started closing the gap when he dropped out. Just when I went to close the gap, he came jumping through the middle of us and missed me by 5 feet. I don't know who was driving it at that time either, but since then I have hated that rail and don't feel sorry that it is wrecked!!!! I feel really bad for the guy on the Banshee and hopefully someone can come forward and give up the guy that was driving.

I know it will be a while but I hope Charlie makes a full recovery!!

I agree with Mark. Every time I see that car out there I stay away. It seems whoever is driving that car drives like an a$$hat. I've been on many rides and that rail has blown through the middle of groups. Thats the same car that likes to roost people when leaving the north pole. I just was told who was driving the rail too. I hope the owner and the driver both get the book thrown at them. The liability is huge and this is the biggest reason why I don't want to be driving or riding something that isn't mine and vice versa.

you can't fix stupid

don't make this a social issue, as NO one here is to blame. what usually happens when people like us take matters into our own hands? bad stuff that gets us into trouble

besides, he was up there on the hill wheelying,,,whaaaadyagonnado...chase him down on your quad?

come on now

I don't think his busted up car can even come close to the medical bills that will be coming. Much less time from work or away from family. I can only imagine how terrible today must be for his family.

Not to mention he must have let the guy drive it which means he has to take some responsibility in the damages.

I wasn't there so excuse me if this sounds stupid, but how did he not see the rail coming. Unless the rail came from behind or from the rear quarter I guess you would say. Just curious as to how the rail got close without being able to avoid a collision. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned he was there in his own rail but wanted to take a run up on the bashee....was he an experienced quad rider??? Just a couple of questions

when youre commin down comp on a quad, theres not much else you can concentrate on cause your haulin AZZ downhill, into whoops....you take your eyes off for a split second, and whooooooooo hoooooooooo

hang on for dear life

let me get this straight... azzhat in a rail is going perpindicular to the way everybody else is, while wheelying, and youre questioning the quad rider???

:dunno::lol::dope:

why don't you go tell his 3 yr old kid that

JEZZZZZUZ

Maybe instead of everyone arguing about how irresponsible the rail driver was, maybe we should all just start chipping in for Charlie and help Richie raise some funds for the poor guy.

http://www.dumontduneriders.com/charlie_donations.html

You can point your finger all you want at the driver of the rail, but it isn't gonna change the fact that the dude, Charlie, is very badly injured and could use some help. I'm sure they will get it worked out one way or another with the responsible party. That guy driving the rail was very stupid to wheelie across comp on a big weekend, but let's just try and help out any way we can instead of just gettin all pissed off.

Just my .02. :dunno:

Let's not force us to close this thread by gettting out of hand.

the hill is for the buggies to HOWEVER !! wheeling a car and it turns on you its only common sense to shut it down. when your not at the top. this is a common sense issue. and i am astounded someone would loan out there car to an obviously inexperianced driver. the quads have banshee hill maybe its best to leave comp to the rails :dunno: all i know is that you can control your wheelie and you KNOW when it turns on you.

tradgedy can hit any of us at anytime. but this is blatant missuse with no regard to human life and that what bugs me the most.

kayla im sorry i should have posted that in a more adult fashion it does sound acusing and i am totaly off base. i am wrong i am sorry.

i saw at least 3 people that have no bussiness driving a rail this weekend. i also saw as many or more quads that i would say the same of. they dont look they dont care. and there going to wind up hurt. :lol:

yes hes very experienced rider ! and i dont know aboutif he saw it or not i cant see him in the hospital . just family.

Let's get the story straight.

The driver was Tom Bell. He never left the scene. He actually helped to carry Charlie down the hill on the stretcher. He feels terrible about what happened. The rangers DO have all of his information as well as the owner's information at the site. He wasn't drinking or anything else that has been said about him. He is an experienced driver who has been racing off road for years. The rangers would not release any information at Dumont and all of the parties have to wait for the actual report.

Our best wishes to Charlie and his Family!!!!!!!!

I am not questioning to try to place blame. I agree with everyone else that a sandrail doing a wheelie is putting others in danger. I do go to Dumont about once a month and always on off weekends mainly because I have alot of kids and we camp with a other families. I have sat and watched the buggies doing this exact same thing on cop hill and so I just stay away. So my question was really did the guy run up his backside from no where?

So there is no misunderstanding...I hope for a speedy recovery for the quad rider and accidents like this only put a black eye on this sport.

Guest Crasher

Maybe instead of everyone arguing about how irresponsible the rail driver was, maybe we should all just start chipping in for Charlie and help Richie raise some funds for the poor guy.

You can point your finger all you want at the driver of the rail, but it isn't gonna change the fact that the dude, Charlie, is very badly injured and could use some help. I'm sure they will get it worked out one way or another with the responsible party. That guy driving the rail was very stupid to wheelie across comp on a big weekend, but let's just try and help out any way we can instead of just gettin all pissed off.

Amen Pete. I think some peeps are losing focus on the real problem at hand, Charlie's health. My thoughts and prayers go out to Charlie and his family. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Edited by Crasher

one more thing in a rail its easy to lose the reality of how steep comp is . a quad rider does feel how steep it is . and even an experianced rider is going to concentrate on how he comes back down. and all the other cars out there making noise. im sure by the time it was close enough it was to late..

i dont know this person that got hurt but i can see how easy it would be to get hit coming down and have it suprise you

I agree, this thread is to help Charlie. I feel, that when something like this happens emotions can get the best of you. It could have been any of us that this happened to. This isn't the place to name drop and accuse anyone of wrong-doing. Let law inforcement do their job, that's probably the best thing to do!

I agree, this thread is to help Charlie. I feel, that when something like this happens emotions can get the best of you. It could have been any of us that this happened to. This isn't the place to name drop and accuse anyone of wrong-doing. Let law inforcement do their job, that's probably the best thing to do!

Well put craig :dunno:

Agreed, like Craig said your emotions can get the best of you. I have just donated and I hope that others do to.

Craig, you need to change your title.....can't consider you an a-hole when you speak (type) so intelligently!!

Always sad to hear of such a tragic accident, but maybe it can be a learning experience also.

We were out at Comp Friday night watching a rail fly up the hill, squeeze between quads, then cut across the hill with absolutely NO regard to any riders in his path. It was scary to watch and thank Heaven no one got hurt!! Luckily, he left the hill after about ½ an hour or so.

Hoping only the best and a full recovery for Charlie and his family!! :praying:

I don't know who the guy on the rail was but I can tell you that three of us were sitting on our quads at the bottom of the hill (getting ready to ride up) when we saw the accident happen.

That sandrail was very loud; how the guy on the quad didn't see it is beyond me. Unless one party was drinking and driving, it is very hard to put blame on either party, but that's just my opinion. I always slow down and ride across the top before making my way down...always looking out for rails, trucks, etc. that may pose a threat.

On a side note, watching the BLM try to make their way up the hill was a joke. I told my buddies that if anything like that should ever happen to me, offer the closest rail $1000 to drive directly over to the BLM/Sherrif station and bring back paramedics!

THE PERSON DOING THE WHEELIE IN THE RAIL IS RESPONSIBLE FOR MAKING SURE IT IS CLEAR BEFORE DOING SO. ALWAYS!!!!!

Edited by ORIGINALPIMP