Sandrail wheelies into a Banshee on comp

dunefreak

one can only ASSUME that the owner of the rail KNOWS the idiot that was driving...

Why did he run?

its all open to speculation..drunk? no license? warrants?

:thumbsdown:

NIIIICE

Here in Las Vegas and I'm sure elsewhere, running is the thing to do. If you run and don't get caught for a day or so and you have been drinking, the fine for leaving the scene of an accident is less than if your convicted of DUI especially with injuries.

It's all the rage here in Vegas.

We were on scene of an accident w/o injuries and metro was so long in getting there, we turned around and the drunk was gone.

As firefighters we are not allowed to detain anyone unless they are a danger to themselves or others. We were on scene for 45 min and he kept talking to a group of people in a car and all of a sdden he just disappeared.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did nobody read this post? The guy didn't run.

Let's get the story straight.

The driver was Tom Bell. He never left the scene. He actually helped to carry Charlie down the hill on the stretcher. He feels terrible about what happened. The rangers DO have all of his information as well as the owner's information at the site. He wasn't drinking or anything else that has been said about him. He is an experienced driver who has been racing off road for years. The rangers would not release any information at Dumont and all of the parties have to wait for the actual report.

Our best wishes to Charlie and his Family!!!!!!!!

I am sure that Randy is cooperating with the LEOs. I think you guys are jumping the gun.

On top of the terrible tragedy, Randy has a busted car that he is going to have to explain to the insurance co. or, if no insurance, is going to want this pissant to pay for.

I am thinking that this is closer to a resolve than everyone here thinks.

Doing wheelies on a busy weekend or even when others are on the hill is just plain stupid and like someone else said, all the big cars can do them now. It's not impressive. Do them out in the dunes, not in the crowds. How many of you have stopped a guy doing something stupid in a crowd and calmly explained to them that what thye are doing is not appropriate? Maybe we all have some blame on us too.....

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A CAR!!! he better hope he has a kick a$$ policy because guess what!! HE is liable and they will come after him!!!! and you say Poor Randy has a busted car when this guy will not be able to work for months and probably NEVER fully recover Jack A$$.........................

My thoughts and prayers are for Charlie and his family, and I cant even imagine what this was like for his wife and kid to see his dad get hit like that.. Sorry if my post above is too harsh but... well thats how I feel

Edited by Paul Rob

I hope they go after the driver and the owner of the car aggressively. The owner of the car is legally liable also. And with this accident happening in CA, the owner is screwed.

This whole ordeal sucks very bad and I hope Charlie makes a full and speedy recovery.

The guy in car is a jackass no doubt but he is not liable for the accident.It is just that a accident in the desert and neither party will win in court.

Several years ago a guy was racing up the old side of comp and a Jeep was coming down the center like an a$$.The guy on the quad hit the Jeep and lost his leg.My father and I were first on the scene and they landed flight for life at the base of comp.

I never heard anything about this till about a couple of years ago it ended up on peoples court.

The judge threw them both out because it was in the desert,dusty at night and the judge ruled that even thought the Jeep came down in the center the guy on the quad was still just as responisble because it was dusty and he couldnt see racing into the unknown.

NEITHER PARTY WILL WIN IT SUCKS BUT WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS BECAUSE ITS WHAT WE LIKE TO DO!!!!!

ITS A MAJOR RISK!!!!!

Did nobody read this post? The guy didn't run.

thank god someones paying attention

and no he wasnt drunk and has been going to the dunes for over 15 years

as well as racing in score and bitd

it was his third time going across and everyone knew he was there,

you people are so fast to get all mad and want to kick a$$ and not even know what you are talking about, no one ran! theres a pic posted with him sitting on the dune while the cops were there

tom feels like crap over the whole thing and wishes it never happened

but sh*t happens and can happen to anyone at any time

post-3475-1193714803_thumb.jpg

thank god someones paying attention

and no he wasnt drunk and has been going to the dunes for over 15 years

as well as racing in score and bitd

it was his third time going across and everyone knew he was there,

you people are so fast to get all mad and want to kick a$$ and not even know what you are talking about, no one ran! theres a pic posted with him sitting on the dune while the cops were there

tom feels like crap over the whole thing and wishes it never happened

but sh*t happens and can happen to anyone at any time

I understand that he feels horrible and there are things that we all wish we didnt do. Here is where we see how horrible he feels own up, and take care of it.. What we do is VERY DANGEROUS. We ALL know that. But when you make a judgement that hurts others, and you were to blame. That shows who the man is.. I edited this post, as I was angry at first and I am sorry if offeneded anybody earlier.

Thoughts and prayers to ALL involved.

Edited by Paul Rob

This is very sad to hear. :(

I've been duning for about 22 years or so, and I'd have to say things have changed.

The cars and ATVs now are way faster and the hills are more crowded, etc.

These changes definately have made it more unsafe out there.

I had a close call on friday night that made me think again about shooting the hill on busy weekends.

I appologize to the people I put in danger. This kind of thing could happen too easily.

All I basically did was follow others for the rest of the weekend.

I will be more careful in the future even if it means less holidays and less trips.

I pray for Charlie and his family. :praying:

R-

This is very sad to hear. :(

I've been duning for about 22 years or so, and I'd have to say things have changed.

The cars and ATVs now are way faster and the hills are more crowded, etc.

These changes definately have made it more unsafe out there.

I had a close call on friday night that made me think again about shooting the hill on busy weekends.

I appologize to the people I put in danger. This kind of thing could happen too easily.

All I basically did was follow others for the rest of the weekend.

I will be more careful in the future even if it means less holidays and less trips.

I pray for Charlie and his family. :praying:

R-

i would like to thank everyone for any and all info that was passed on to me and passed on to charlies family. the names have been passed on to the san berdo sherff and the law will handle it from here. the real story will be out after charlie gets out of the hospital or if the video that is out there ever pops up . charlies family and i would like to say thank you for all / or at least most all of the support of the dune community.

Very sad that this ACCIDENT happened. I have nothing but sympathy for all people involved their families and friends, the physical wounds caused by this event will probably heal long before the emotional one's that all parties involved must be feeling right now.

Damn it is amazing to read so many extremely harsh statements made by people rushing to judge others. Judge not lest you be judged. Ok many things could have been done differently, that would have certainly

changed the outcome or avoided it altogether, but we all take an assumed risk and maybe just maybe at least one person hopefully more than one can learn lessons and do the best to be as safe as possible out there.

Myself I am thankful that I didn't get hurt or for that matter hurt anyone else. I prefer to count my blessings than to judge others that I know nothing about. It sure is easy to call someone names and to assume all the facts and sit on a big judgement throne. Especially on the internet!

I hope all parties involved recover as quickly as possible and are able to return to enjoy what they love.

i started to type this earlier then i erased it now i read some of this and im mad again.

PROFESSIONAL MY a$$ !! AND IF HE IS THEN HE SHOULD BE DOUBLE LIABLE

look at the pick of the scene of the accident. LOOK AT IT !!!

what kind of idiot wheelies cross ways on comp that low

thats barely half way

you can control your wheelie and you know where your at or you have downs syndrome

mechanicle mishap ok accident

i want to be cool i got this wheely im not letting it go half way up comp ( barely) not cool

remember some idiot did it last year and hit the rhino

no drugs no alchahol stone cold sober wheelies across the face of comp no where near the top.

get real thats just retarded has he been checked for downs syndrom.

my god another case of "lack of any common sense "none! pure stupidity.

it is degrading to yourself to claim this person was a competent and able duner. and that this was an accident :thumbsdown:

I totally agree with barefoot bob accidents happen but this was avoidable, I shot the hill on all 4 tires maybe 4 times this weekend going across at the top about 20 yards down!! I can’t imagine going across the hill half way up or any where on the hill standing straight up not being able to see absolutely anything but sky, just plain stupid just my 02. :drinkbeer:

Wheeling is just not cool anymore and defiantly not on the hill on big weekends!! :thumbsdown:

And with 15 years of experience he should have known better!!!

As far as feeling sick well he should as well as I did and still do after seeing this accident happen.

One of my buddies left the hill after the accident & told us he was going back to camp to hug his son because it could have just as easily been him on that quad

Edited by X-5

I got an update on Charlie today. Hes doing good. He's gone threw 2 surguries and is able to mumble out some words. Our friend Jay went by to see him and Charlies 1st words were wheres my car. talking about his sandrail. I thought that was pretty da!@ funny. Atleast we know his head is straight.

Just found this you guy's :thumb:

Found it on Dumont Dunes

Edited by Danielle

Reading this makes me sick. It brings back some memories of last year when I was at Gordons Well. We were all coming back from a ride on our quads (all 10 of us) and out of no where a buggy hit one of our guys. The buggy was going approx. 50 mph and came right through our line. To make a long story short, my friend has no feelings from his chest down and never will. 3 weeks later we were all duning again and a rail came flying off a ridge and landed on my friend. Luckily, he wasn't hurt too bad but his quad was totalled. A few assh??es make it bad for a lot of us. I also have a rail. I am very carefull with it. I don't do wheelies with it up comp when friends ask me to, and most of the time I watch at the bottom due to so many jerks doing what they shouldn't be doing. When friends ask if they can drive it, the answer is NO. It is too powerful, you don't know how to drive it, and I don't want to be responsible for them hurting someone or even my rail. Like barefoot Bob said, I am on my second season with this first time rail and I know not to do certain things since I am still in the learning phase of driving this powerfull car.

What I really like to see sometimes on the dunes is when people are jumping, they have spotters all over and let you know not to ride in that area. I would never think about going straight up a hill and flying over a ridgeback without knowing what is on the other side, but some do. Look at the pictures of the rail that was broken a few weeks ago at Glamis. He went flying off a ridgeback and his rail is totalled. What if someone was on the other side?

I don't care how experienced that guy that hit the quad was, he was doing something that he shouldn't have and look what happened. Like everyone has said, most of us can wheelie, big deal. Any time someone is wheeling across a hill, something can happen. It's not worth it. Yes, this sport can be dangerous, any sport can, but most of us use our brains and don't do these things, some don't use their brains, have to show off, and this is what will happen.

My heart goes out to him and I hope he gets better soon. I hope they nail the guy who did it. Unfortunately for my friend, he will be in a wheel chair the rest of his life due to some idiot showing off and nothing can repay that.

Edited by ahsumtoy

I see this same BS all the time. MANY (not all) Rail drivers care way more about showing off for everyone then for any kind of safety. As my mom said (Dinicolady) we saw so many close calls and many times the same rail over and over its a wonder no one pulled these drivers out and BEAT THEIR A$$es!!

Maybe im wrong but 90% of the rails I see have solid bottoms and NO WAY of seeing where you are going when you are in a wheelie. I personally wheelie my bikes almost everywhere I go but I can SEE just fine and im not risking someones life with a 3000+lb. car!! Im not impressed with some guy driving a turbo v8 that can wheelie, woo hoo, great for you, you spent $100,000 and thats what you got, who cares?? Stop risking everyone else on smaller machines who have every right to be there as you do!!

To the guy who thinks there is no liability just because they are "in the dirt" and not on a highway will have a rude awakeneing one day. If the Shrek Driver was so experienced then like others say, he had no business wheeling across the lower section of Comp. He was obviously more concerned with showing off then anyone elses safety including his own or anyone in the car with him.

Its guy's like him that give fuel to the fire for shutting down our riding spots!! As a bike and occasinal quad rider I cant tell you how many times some big rail just cuts though your line or goes wherever the hell he wants because he knows you are the "little guy" whos going to move outta his way.

By the way, any of you who have been hit by a rock while doing something stupid, good chance it was me...

Im a practice what you preach guy and I have also donated to Charlie, I have only seen a couple people say they have, but I see DOZENS of ramblings of people who havnt. Law suits or not the guy who hit Charlie and the owner of the LT car obviously have plenty of $$$ and you better believe if I see his car all fixed up and duning while Charlie is still recovering theres gonna be an altercation!!!!!!!!

I got an update on Charlie today. Hes doing good. He's gone threw 2 surguries and is able to mumble out some words. Our friend Jay went by to see him and Charlies 1st words were wheres my car. talking about his sandrail. I thought that was pretty da!@ funny. Atleast we know his head is straight.

Good news :thumb: glad to hear he is on the road to recovering

I see this same BS all the time. MANY (not all) Rail drivers care way more about showing off for everyone then for any kind of safety. As my mom said (Dinicolady) we saw so many close calls and many times the same rail over and over its a wonder no one pulled these drivers out and BEAT THEIR A$$es!!

Maybe im wrong but 90% of the rails I see have solid bottoms and NO WAY of seeing where you are going when you are in a wheelie. I personally wheelie my bikes almost everywhere I go but I can SEE just fine and im not risking someones life with a 3000+lb. car!! Im not impressed with some guy driving a turbo v8 that can wheelie, woo hoo, great for you, you spent $100,000 and thats what you got, who cares?? Stop risking everyone else on smaller machines who have every right to be there as you do!!

To the guy who thinks there is no liability just because they are "in the dirt" and not on a highway will have a rude awakeneing one day. If the Shrek Driver was so experienced then like others say, he had no business wheeling across the lower section of Comp. He was obviously more concerned with showing off then anyone elses safety including his own or anyone in the car with him.

Its guy's like him that give fuel to the fire for shutting down our riding spots!! As a bike and occasinal quad rider I cant tell you how many times some big rail just cuts though your line or goes wherever the hell he wants because he knows you are the "little guy" whos going to move outta his way.

By the way, any of you who have been hit by a rock while doing something stupid, good chance it was me...

Im a practice what you preach guy and I have also donated to Charlie, I have only seen a couple people say they have, but I see DOZENS of ramblings of people who havnt. Law suits or not the guy who hit Charlie and the owner of the LT car obviously have plenty of $$$ and you better believe if I see his car all fixed up and duning while Charlie is still recovering theres gonna be an altercation!!!!!!!!

you hit the nail on the head!!!! sand saw way to many showoffs with sheet for brains doing out of control wheelies in high dollar sand cars they scare the hell out of me espesially when im riding whith my kid!

what impressess me is seeing riders and buggys giving each other room and respect slowing down around camp"man im getting old" Ive been duning along time and have seen way to many stupid carelss tragic accidents . I hope chalie sues the f&%k out the piece of sheet chickin sheet wuss

not to get to much off topic, but while Randog gave my wife he first rail ride, i couldnt think of anyone else than Randog, Barefoot Bob, OGP or Joe Duner, or Pete that would have been better, been watching you all dune for atleast 2 years now. and even i know that it is an aquired and perrishable skill. I do want a car, but i want to start small. been talking with Brice, and randy and Tim about it now for a while, getting some homework done before i buy. and when i do, ill go with anyone that i listed earlier so that way i can get some experience the right way.

at the base of comp during my wifes ride with randog, my wife and i were watching these 2 a$$hats jumping the off the crest at the base of comp and then shooting the hill. one of the rails almost hit some kid on a little 50. (now there is no reason that the kid should have been there on comp on his 50 either) but this guy was just gunning it and getting ready to fly off of it when at the last second he saw the kid..slammed on his brakes and then pulled around. finally he went to where his buddys were and got one of them to atleast spot him and the other rail.

moral of the story:

dont leap before you look

when its that busy you dont have to look cool

and take your turns, your not the only cool kid on the hill

up the hill (to the top) and turn left...

dont come down where people go up..saw that all day...DUHHHHHH

pay the fauk attention to others around you!!!

I am glad someone said this finally.

QUESTION: How many of you would be PI$$ED if you knew someone was driving across across comp with their eyes closed and hit someone and almost killed them?

ANSWER: Everyone one.

Doing wheelies on any dune with other riders around is 100% retarded and should be treated as such. Of course the driver feels bad, I am sure he did not go out there looking to hurt somone that day. But anytime you close your eyes and drive as fast as possible you are going to do exactly that.

With that said I hope Charlie makes a full recoverey. Best wishes to him, his family and friends.

Edited by VegasPredator