the new vendor row spot

dunefreak

I liked the new location. And I bet if you asked people that camped at Little Dumont, they would say the same. As far as speed limit signs.....The same would apply as around camps. "Stupid is as stupid does" :thumb:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im not walking to the hog and im not letting my rail out of my sight !! i would be one less patron ig this comes to fruition. maybe they can live without my dollars but thats my :headbang1:

Bob, you don't have a battery shut off and a removable steering wheel?

Yeah but there's people like me and capt that have a steering wheel just waiting for him to turn his head and then were outta there with the green machine :headbang1:

Just kidding. But I'm sure he don't want no idiots sitting on his car ruining his paint job :D

Edited by Dunelover

i do and i do terry but pushing them away just scares the bejeesus out of me. no i dont let it outa my sight if i can help it :headbang1: im not ranting either do what must be done for the better good. but they will lose my bussines before ill trust my car to the unkown :drunk::laughoff:

i think grindings are a better bet but who knows :grin:

Instead of making it a long single run with alot of vendors on two sides, how about like at Glamis where its set up "block style". Maybe 3-4 smaller rows of of say 5 vendors back to back with roped off parking on either end. Speed limits enforced in the area. That would rule out the long walk and keep the traffic out of the pedestrian/vendor area. That would keep the dust to a minimum too. Just my .02c

As a vendor, I can say a few things about the new area: it doesn't bother me except that I'm not used to being so close to the other vendors. Being that close subjects me to dust that I had not previously experienced (all the non customers coming & going).

Being that close does afford me to mingle with the other vendors, which for the most part are pretty nice people that have interesting stories to tell.

The water isn't going to be happening, since it needs to be trucked in from off-site. Tree huggers claimed BLM was killing fishy creatures that live in the creek crossing water and made them stop taking water from there.

I can tell that the new area is quieter than where I used to park, especially at bedtime.

Many vendors didn't realize they could park on the 'other' side as I do, so you can expect to see the row get shorter in the future but 2 sided.

Personally, I'd like to see it become 'horseshoed' so there wouldn't be people zooming through like idiots thinking we vendors are impressed by their speed. Instead, it would be a cruising zone with a dead end. You'd drive in one way and leave one way, with parking in the middle and in front of the individual vendors. That way, all vendors need not worry about what the best spot for parking is. The central parking spot is for those that can park and walk or park and hang out. Just an idea I have.

Someone mentioned the ICE guy: the previous owner of Cook's Ice is back in control of Cook's Ice. Welcome back Al! From now on, Cook's Ice will park near Doghouse for consistency.

A note not pertaining to vendors row: Doghouse is now selling the entrance passes and the Non Resident stickers.

As a vendor, I can say a few things about the new area: it doesn't bother me except that I'm not used to being so close to the other vendors. Being that close subjects me to dust that I had not previously experienced (all the non customers coming & going).

Being that close does afford me to mingle with the other vendors, which for the most part are pretty nice people that have interesting stories to tell.

The water isn't going to be happening, since it needs to be trucked in from off-site. Tree huggers claimed BLM was killing fishy creatures that live in the creek crossing water and made them stop taking water from there.

I can tell that the new area is quieter than where I used to park, especially at bedtime.

Many vendors didn't realize they could park on the 'other' side as I do, so you can expect to see the row get shorter in the future but 2 sided.

Personally, I'd like to see it become 'horseshoed' so there wouldn't be people zooming through like idiots thinking we vendors are impressed by their speed. Instead, it would be a cruising zone with a dead end. You'd drive in one way and leave one way, with parking in the middle and in front of the individual vendors. That way, all vendors need not worry about what the best spot for parking is. The central parking spot is for those that can park and walk or park and hang out. Just an idea I have.

Someone mentioned the ICE guy: the previous owner of Cook's Ice is back in control of Cook's Ice. Welcome back Al! From now on, Cook's Ice will park near Doghouse for consistency.

A note not pertaining to vendors row: Doghouse is now selling the entrance passes and the Non Resident stickers.

Phil, thank you for your input. If we can get the vendors to talk/e mail the Blm and maybe evn come to the TRT meeting on 11-17 maybe we can get this to happen. I was at the last trt meeting and the "water" was discussed and they are workingon a strainer to keep fishy's and other assorted things out so we can go back to using the river water in the trucks.

Personally, I like the new spot, but it still is a high-traffic area with a lot of wide open space for those folks who never seem to SLOOOOOW down!! I especially like the horseshoe (no thoroughfare!) idea because I never cared to walk the WHOLE row from one end to the other. This fat ol' lady hates walkin' in the sand as it is, so having the 2 rows across from eachother gets the :ban-split: BUT crossing over with the lousy visibility could become an issue. Went there Friday on the way back to camp to get lunch at the HOG, pulled up, got our food and got outta there, purdy convenient IMO, BUT looking for the Ice-man Saturday sucked 'cause the dust was so thick you could barely see headlights!

Oh yeah, may wanna get those speed limit signs in a jumbo size and fluorescent if we hope for those speed-demons to take notice! :banghead:

NEW VENDOR ROW - LOVE IT!!!

We must have gone there at least twice or more times a day! Got some Christmas shopping done! The new location is awesome! It is dusty. Some speed limit signs and a water truck would surely help.

:banghead::idea::MBdance:

The New area was way better than the previous spot. If they had a water truck out there that weekend

the dust would not have been as bad. There is a mixture you can put into the water so that when it gets to the ground it holds longer and keeps the dust down for days but I can't think of it at the moment. If they would hit the main road then vendors row with it they would not have to put down as much water and less passes through those areas. If I have to I will look it up and pass it on. The only thing would be enviromental issues on it.

I definately like the new location better. The old location was crazy when you had Moho's and TH's getting stuck, it was ludicrous. I like Doghouses idea of a horse shoe. It does not allow the cruzing thing to happen, especially at high speed. If not the horseshoe, maybe cone off 100'ft from the vendors so cruzing isnt so cool, being so far away. Definately enforced a speed limit. Nice to see people working to make it better.

it has it's pro's and cons. these are the two most prominent:

pro: traffic around the front finger dune was almost non-existent. traffic leaving dumont around that area on sunday to leave the dunes flowed like a river.

con: the old vendor row spot provided a great landmark as to which direction to travel to find your camp at night, and how far. i didn't go to comp. hill at all at night during this trip, but i spoke with friends who did and they experienced alot of difficulty finding their way back in darkness.

overall, i initially didn't care for the new vendor row placement idea, but i've changed my mind after this weekend and my opinion is that the pro's outweigh the cons.

theres always gonna be people that are gonna get lost at night no matter where the vendor row is..

i always look for camps that have ballons and lights, that are near my camp to help me find my way.. if that doesnt work, you should just bring your own lights own.. if you still cant figure it out, then thats just a personal problem!. :watching:

l_8c7892689f44c2922671dc10dc28bc5c.jpg

Edited by $PocketChange$

I personally liked the new location, the weather dictated the dust.

I think not having the row in the middle is less dusty for the vendors actually...less traffic, but

also less business so it has its pros and cons. water will be an issue due to costs to haul in and

placing any typeof magnesium chloride for dust control does not work very well in grainy sand,

works best in clay type soils...California will never let you disperse it anyways. If people would slow down a little the dust will be a lot less. :lol:

I personally liked the new location, the weather dictated the dust.

I think not having the row in the middle is less dusty for the vendors actually...less traffic, but

also less business so it has its pros and cons. water will be an issue due to costs to haul in and

placing any typeof magnesium chloride for dust control does not work very well in grainy sand,

works best in clay type soils...California will never let you disperse it anyways. If people would slow down a little the dust will be a lot less. :lol:

Thank you. I think that is what everyone was forgetting. It didn't matter where you went at Dumont on Halloween weekend- it was dusty everywhere due to the weather. :bawl:

I think the dust could have actually been a lot worse.

People speeding was worse than the dust issue...it was like the sand drags on vendor row! I think just making it a full two sides with a couple 5 mph signs with some rangers inforcing it and it becoming habit will make things a lot better.

Either which way! We're still there and we're still open!

See ya Soon!

Stacy

con: the old vendor row spot provided a great landmark as to which direction to travel to find your camp at night, and how far. i didn't go to comp. hill at all at night during this trip, but i spoke with friends who did and they experienced alot of difficulty finding their way back in darkness.

GPS.