sMitty

If you don't like the crowds, don't go on big weekends. There are 5 big weekends a year, that leaves about 15 off weekends............you do the math. I pretty sure most people don't go to Dumont more than 15 times a year.

On the off weekends over at comp, people do race and hang out in a very controlled manner. there is even the old desert rat attitude over there, instead of the , for lack of a better term, flat biller attitude.(sorry Brett)

I only go out on big weekends to spectate. It is too dangerous to actually dune at a fast pace. Off weekends are the shizzle!!!!!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed how alot of you guys complain about the people who drink out at comp. Im willing to put money on it most of you have a few beers or drinks wile your out there. So there drinking and having a good time so are you guys . So how can you say there a problem if your doing the same . Yeah i know most of you may not get wasted . But then again your still there drinking . So is this a "DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO " Type deal or what ?

Ok, how about a trade? I will not only stop going to comp but I will stop drinking all together when jerks stop roping off the dunes. No camps/ropes within 20ft of the base of any dune and no more crazy happenings at comp. Sounds fair.

ha ha. i think i started a thread about this a couple of years ago. its gotten worse. i couldnt believe all the damn caution tape and cones on the fingers. and worse kids playing at the top and for whatever reason people like to just stop and sit on the tops of the finger on their bikes and quads. i still think the blm should have an easment on both sides of the fingers and enforce that. :dance:

There has been mention of not knowing who would attack you in a crowd that size but I don't think the majority of the duners fit into that category. By that I mean how many of us would come to a LEO's aid if he was to get into an altercation with a retard at the dunes. Also talking about patrols and reporting to the LEO's. But why does this need to be a secret. In the thread about the guys burning their trash everyone is applauding the efforts of the camp who turned them in and I am sure those guys weren't very concerned about the trash burners finding out it was them who turned them in. So why not get a company to make flags that would identify people as friends of the LEO's. If there were thousands of duners displaying flags that basically represent people who are not willing to put up with all this bullcrap that we are currently upset with then maybe thats a start. How many people do you think would do stupid stuff if they knew the majority of the duners present were unitied and not willing to tolerate it. And alot of times a simple ....Hey guys you may not know the rules so I am here to let you know.... would work just fine.

I would sign up for a program like this or even a different pro active version anyday.

ha ha. i think i started a thread about this a couple of years ago. its gotten worse. i couldnt believe all the damn caution tape and cones on the fingers. and worse kids playing at the top and for whatever reason people like to just stop and sit on the tops of the finger on their bikes and quads. i still think the blm should have an easment on both sides of the fingers and enforce that. :dance:

:lol: Ditto that!!!

If there were thousands of duners displaying flags that basically represent people who are not willing to put up with all this bullcrap that we are currently upset with then maybe thats a start. How many people do you think would do stupid stuff if they knew the majority of the duners present were unitied and not willing to tolerate it. And alot of times a simple ....Hey guys you may not know the rules so I am here to let you know.... would work just fine.

I would sign up for a program like this or even a different pro active version anyday.

Actually there is such a flag;

THE DUNERS CHECKERED FLAG PLEDGE

WE FLY IT AND LIVE BY IT!

TRASH:

WE pack it in and WE pack it out

ENFORCEMENT:

WE live by the rules

WE support law enforcement at the dunes*

WE report major infractions

RESPECT FOR OTHER PEOPLE,

SAFETY AND THE ENVIRONMENT:

WE act in a responsible manner

It can be purchased here at the ASA

http://www.americansandassociation.org/pages.php?pageid=8

There has been mention of not knowing who would attack you in a crowd that size but I don't think the majority of the duners fit into that category. By that I mean how many of us would come to a LEO's aid if he was to get into an altercation with a retard at the dunes. Also talking about patrols and reporting to the LEO's. But why does this need to be a secret. In the thread about the guys burning their trash everyone is applauding the efforts of the camp who turned them in and I am sure those guys weren't very concerned about the trash burners finding out it was them who turned them in. So why not get a company to make flags that would identify people as friends of the LEO's. If there were thousands of duners displaying flags that basically represent people who are not willing to put up with all this bullcrap that we are currently upset with then maybe thats a start. How many people do you think would do stupid stuff if they knew the majority of the duners present were unitied and not willing to tolerate it. And alot of times a simple ....Hey guys you may not know the rules so I am here to let you know.... would work just fine.

Try this!

http://www.americansandassociation.org/pages.php?pageid=8

The Checkered Flag program began many years ago by a guy named Jerry something. Not ASA co-founder Jerry Seaver, but another Jerry. VERY funny man... used to show up at events dressed as a clown (nose, hair, suit, huge shoes) and then make some funny (okay, maybe inappropriate) comments relating to the size of a man's shoe. ;)

Schaefer... Jerry Schaefer. I knew it would come to me.

Anyway, he and his riding group started it as a way to identify each other. They were responsible duners, responsible land users, true believers in the tread lightly and pack-it-in-pack-it-out credos.

It was actually Jerry Schaefer's checkered flag pledge that came into play when the very real threat of total closure first came up at Glamis. This was before the lawsuit that shut down 50,000 acres, before the now-obsolete Recreational Area Management Plan, heck even before the ASA.

Glamis may be bad now, but it was worse back then and during one particularly bleak season some rangers were surrounded and threatened by an unruly crowd.

The group Professional Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER, one of the 3 that eventually sued and won 50,000 acres closed), a Federal employee membership organization, complained long and loud that their officers were in danger out at Glamis and the only way to ensure safety was to shut it down.

Jerry Schaefer's Checkered Flag Pledge made it under the noses of the movers and shakers in Washington DC as a way to show that what PEER was saying was a lie and that not ALL duners are bad duners. Pictures of duners sporting the checkered flag along with families and the true Glamis life were shown and it turned a terrible situation into one that could be reasoned with.

It literally saved Glamis. Imagine that, this one man with his friends could do that.

Since it's beginning it has morphed a little and is now synonymous with the American Sand Association, which is why quite often you will hear it referred to as the "ASA flag." The checkered flag is currently offered by the ASA in their fund raising efforts to protect the right to ride at Glamis

The idea behind the checkered flag program is a strong one and other sand areas have adopted it... but they've changed the colors from black and white checkers to something else just so their flags are identified with their sand areas.

It sounds like there is an interest in doing something like this at Dumont... not an impossible task at all.

VickiW

Edited by SailAway

If you don't like the crowds, don't go on big weekends. There are 5 big weekends a year, that leaves about 15 off weekends............you do the math. I pretty sure most people don't go to Dumont more than 15 times a year.

On the off weekends over at comp, people do race and hang out in a very controlled manner. there is even the old desert rat attitude over there, instead of the , for lack of a better term, flat biller attitude.(sorry Brett)

I only go out on big weekends to spectate. It is too dangerous to actually dune at a fast pace. Off weekends are the shizzle!!!!!

WHAT HE SAID ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :thumb:

:idea: Hey I know.... DDR flags! :thumb::bump::barf::MBdance:

lETS GET SOME CHECKERED FLAGS MADE. Can you start a poll Pete on some colors to vote on?

Black and white

black and red

blue and white

red and white

orange and black

orange and white etc.........

lETS GET SOME CHECKERED FLAGS MADE. Can you start a poll Pete on some colors to vote on?

Black and white

black and red

blue and white

red and white

orange and black

orange and white etc.........

I'm suprised you didn't say purple! :thumb:

The reason people rope things off are for saftey expecially on the big weekends. The little kids want to play on the sand just like the rest of us and what a better way then giving up a little bit of the finger for the future duners. If we as adults cant just go around we have a problem. The fingers arnt that great to ride anyway. Just a little give and take, quit being so selfish.

You're joking right??? Roping anything is clearly stated as a no-no. Especially on the finger dunes where people ride. Did you happen to pay more than the rest of us so that you can own your own private little piece of the dunes? The future duners need to be SUPERVISED by thier parents, not roped in like cattle. Please try a search on this subject, it's been covered in great detail and explained. Rebar, engineer stakes, post, poles, all belong on construction sites, not sticking up in the dunes to impale someone on.

^ what foolio said

you cant rope off the dunes for ANYTHING, unless you are holding a sanctioned event.

take the kids out back by the north pole area, as hardly anyone around is there, and plenty of dunes to ride too

or beter yet, camp at the little dunes, and the adults can ride to the big dunes from there

You're joking right??? Roping anything is clearly stated as a no-no. Especially on the finger dunes where people ride. Did you happen to pay more than the rest of us so that you can own your own private little piece of the dunes? The future duners need to be SUPERVISED by thier parents, not roped in like cattle. Please try a search on this subject, it's been covered in great detail and explained. Rebar, engineer stakes, post, poles, all belong on construction sites, not sticking up in the dunes to impale someone on.

:driver:

:laughoff: How about we rope off the entire middle area of Comp and all camp at the bottom :thumb: that would solve all of the problems.

:cry:

sMitty Posted Yesterday, 07:40 PM

extreme scenario?...maybe, but my family is not worth the risk......

But isn't that the point....everyone is at risk now. I have a large family (six kids) and if the people who care about the dunes give way to the people who are shredding this sport then we will all be looking for somewhere else to ride rather than protecting the dunes that we all like to go to. The intention of making it known that we will stand together as a community is to put more eyes on everyones families, camps, etc. If I have my camp set up and you are pulling in and see that we have the a flag on our bikes or camp that you are running because you want to the support the dunes also wouldn't you camp there. So as this gets bigger we are all on common grounds and through word of mouth more and more duners would get on board and eventually the numbers could get big enough that someone would always be watching.

I feel that by getting more people involved it is safer for my family. And at the same time if I know you are going to protect the area just the same as I will by supporting something as simple as a flag I would be that much more willing to come to your aid. But if you don't know anything about somebody you may be a little tentative to approach. So just think of it as an identifier not much different than the DDR stickers you see on trucks.

Heres my two cents. If you dont want to be in the crowd of idiots go the other way. Its that simple, theres alot of places to ride out there and plenty of room for you to take your kids to somewhere that its not busy and much more safe. No matter where you go theres always going to be people doing stupid things.

Ok guys, I didnt realize that it was such a sore subject about puttting up some barrier tape to try an prevent dumb azz drunk idiots from running over kids. I'm with you that children need to be supervised and trust me mine are. I know that my camp started putting up the tape after time and time again rails, bike and quads came screaming into our camp even though we had a pretty tight circle and we thought it was obvious that it wasnt the highway through the middle of camp. After one close call with a drunk in a buggy we decided to do something since vehicle placement wasnt enough. What is the answer you might say? Some people say go to the little dunes or dont come out at all on the big weekends, those might work for some but not all. We as a group have to be more responsable for our actions and more cautious. Its not us that are on DDR that is the problem for the most part its the other guy. The other thing is if you camp near a finger and dont market it some way what is to prevent the drunk a$$ 16 y/o on there 250 from jumping into your camp. I know it sounds like a rant about alcohol but its not. If your going to drink just do it at camp and put the toys away. If you go out to comp at night enjoy but like in real life have a designated driver to get you back to camp. If you drink and drive?ride you deserve a DUI plain and simple, since most of our off road cars have more power than our street cars, you do the math. Ok and to the ranger that said that they havent doubled the passes, we paid 60 last year for a season pass and this year its going to be 120 or even worse 140 if you had a 90 plus the 5 holidays, looks like at least doubling the cost. ANd I wouldnt be afraid of some dumba$$ messing with me for ratting him out or helping a Ranger that needs help so sign me up for the DUNE PATROL. And lastly I think if we as a whole, those of us that care about the dunes and respect them did all fly some sort of flag be it the checkered of the ASA or something special to dumont it would let those that are ruining our dunes to watch out cause we are watching. OK off my soap box. :laughoff::laughoff: