Trip Report

HappyHour

First, I have to say that the weather could NOT have been any better. Mid 80's during the day and low 50's at night with just a very small breeze to blow the dust away. The dunes were very chopped up fpr the most part, but we were able to find some nice ones on the north side of the mouth to comp once we got back into the dunes. Not crowded at all even though people were coming in all weekend. Staking their claim to some real estate for T-day weekend I'm sure. Most of the vendors were there, DogHouse showed up on Friday. In the end, it was a good weekend even though 2 out of 4 rails in my group broke. We did a little of :laughoff: , and a whole bunch of :laughoff:

The road in was good, even though it is still one big washboard, but it doesn't bother me too much.

Here are a few pics I took during the weekend.......................

The one time the breeze stopped............the dust settled in like concrete (only lasted for an hour)

post-17-1195496964_thumb.jpg

A couple of buddies just partying

post-17-1195497113_thumb.jpg

This is what NOT to do.............. :laughoff:

post-17-1195497257_thumb.jpg

A nice shot of the sunset on Friday afternoon

post-17-1195497374_thumb.jpg

i could have sworn i saw your car sunday afternoon but i didnt see happy hour on the side so i wasnt sure we were in capts car. the blue playtech.

Wasn't me Bob, the wife and I got out of dodge early Sunday morning around 9. I kept an eye out for you and any other DDR peeps all weekend though.

:laughoff:

Wasn't me Bob, the wife and I got out of dodge early Sunday morning around 9. I kept an eye out for you and any other DDR peeps all weekend though.

:laughoff:

i didnt have my car i was riding shotgun but i was there. it was capt moment in the sun :bs:

Found this on another website...........

Sounds funny but maybe more true than you might believe.

Went out to Dumont last Thursday, 11/15, and returned today, 11/20.

Here's some observations;

Lynne & I have going there for an extended family Thanksgiving since 1978, maybe 1977. Up until about 5 years ago, the crowds were never a problem, rarely saw an ambulance, or Life-Flight helicoptor all week long, fireworks were never a problem, and we rarely saw a park ranger, and no-one cordoned off acres and acres of camp area w/ yellow caution tape.

Then about 5 years ago, the crowds tripled or quadrupled, literally overnight, huge DP MH's and 40+' TH's, top of the line TV's, $100K+ dune buggies, a gigantic corporate tent, that would do PT Barnum proud, including all the toys for employees to enjoy. People camping literally closer to you, than your neighbors house is, rangers on patrol 24/7, Life Flight helicoptor's (ON-SIGHT), w/ a trioge trailer on site as well.

This year......

a crowd just like the old days... probably less than 200 rigs total. Vendors row, for the most part vacant, (the stands were there, but no product on display), absolute silence at night, (which is very rare), no ambulances, no Life-Flight helicopters at all, no trioge trailer, and not 1 ranger seen all 6 days!!

Think the Mortgage Industry woes have anything to do with it? That was the topic of fireside conversation, more than one night. One camper, mentioned that in last weeks Trader newspaper, for the Inland Empire, there were 22 pages of dune buggies, and the usual average is 5-9 pages. That's 10 vehicles per page.

I think the trickle down effect on housing is having an effect on lot's more than just houses. People mortgaged the crap outta their homes, bought lot's of expensive toy's, and signed on the bottom line, for those reverse mortgages, and now it's ALL upside down.

It did kind of feel like 7 years back. Was quiet till 7 in the morning. Wasn't that dusty or crowded. Duneing was excellent. Some areas chopped up but most of the dunes were pretty good. I did not see a single ranger or helicopter all weekend.

Here is some pics I took.

post-14-1195623389_thumb.jpg

post-14-1195623425_thumb.jpg

post-14-1195623448_thumb.jpg

post-14-1195623475_thumb.jpg

post-14-1195623624_thumb.jpg