Onan generator mechanic

sandslayer

:dunno: ur havin problems with ur generator too?

we were askin the same question about people to come to the house

ours runs then turns off after a while and it ran good when we started it up for the season

we checked everything and we couldnt find the problem

piece of $h!+ generators

so we brought our honda out :clap:

INDESTRUCTABLE and it ran good the whole weekend

wut do u expect...the generators were made in the USA :dope:

whats the problem? Alot of us have had issues with them.

I think the previous owner let the gas varnish and it ruined the carb. It will start and stay started with ether and i cleaned it with carb cleaner but no luck. Its an onan 5500 gold and is still under warranty i just don't have the time to take it in. Anybody know where i can get a new carb for a good price? :beercheers:

I have the same problem, my carb is varnished. I talked to acouple of guys and they told me that the carbs is 60 bucks, the expensive part is the labor putting it in. Not sure if this info is correct, but thats what some dude total me. As far as the warrenty, I have a 5 year, however the carb on the genny is not covered. Let me know if you find somebody!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem, my carb is varnished. I talked to acouple of guys and they told me that the carbs is 60 bucks, the expensive part is the labor putting it in. Not sure if this info is correct, but thats what some dude total me. As far as the warrenty, I have a 5 year, however the carb on the genny is not covered. Let me know if you find somebody!!!

I had a mobile RV mechanic come over to the house he specialized in generators. He new exactly what it was- :xmas1: the carb was all gummed up. He took the whole carb apart and cleaned it put it back together and it started and ran right away. Let me know if anybody wants the info for this service i was very happy with the outcome.

Bobby ? !! why didn't you take the thing off and bring it to me ??? I know a thing or too about two things .. wait , that's not it !! haha T bones , same thing , if you can take it off and bring it down here I'll clean it ! :D

Sorry i forgot... Next time i'll bring it down to you. The needle for the carb was bent but still works. The bend was a perfect offset but still clear enough for gas to pass through. :xmas1:

I have the same problem with my Onan 5500 Gold Series. I even took mine in to have looked at and of course it didn't shut off for Dealer. I tried something when i got it back. With the gen running with no load on it shuts off by itself all the time. If i turn everything on in the trailer it won't shut off (go figure). I have heard though that if your batteries are completely charged the generator/ computer knows this and automatically shuts gen off. Does anyone know if this is true?

:stirthepot: its very simple on the bottom of your carb there is a selonoid unscrew it the bowl might come out too no bigge ,anyways take that selonoid apart and clean it that will fix it if you can dune then you can do this...trust yourself

:stirthepot: I had the same problem on Thanksgiving Day at Dumont . Started with my spare fuel pump & a thirty dollar piece of fuel line ( that was ten dollars a foot ) 2 young Brats workn for there dad on vender row bent me over and :xmas1: me . After 2 or 3 hours i pulled that piece off the bottom of the carb cleaned it up put it back on id it fired rite up :D

I would recommend running Stabil in your gas tank so the generator's carb doesn't get gummed up. Also, starting the gen up once every two weeks for about 15 minutes will keep things good. If the carb does get gummed up, removing it isn't that difficult. Usually, the solenoid at the bottom of the float bowl is the culprit, but the altitude adjuster has a needle valve that is prone to clogging too. BTW, Onan is made by Cummins. These gens are good if you take care of them.

:DDRrocks: its very simple on the bottom of your carb there is a selonoid unscrew it the bowl might come out too no bigge ,anyways take that selonoid apart and clean it that will fix it if you can dune then you can do this...trust yourself

what are you stirring ??

bend over !! :rockon: