No More Dunes?

My family and my self have allways been duners,and can't amagine not doing it.

but what else is there? we also do the lake thing in the summer.

after the colision I was in volved in at dumont i'm seriously think'n

about the safety of my family, and the danger involved.

I'm starting to view duning as target practice in a school playground

what if you could go out in a helicopter on thanks giving weekend

and spend the day hovering over, how many close calls do you think you will see???

I for one think the rhino thing was a good thing because it slowed a lot of people

down.

I think something needs to happen to better orginize the dunes, it's kinda like a

skating rink where no one goes the same direction. now add hi powered sand toys

and un trained drivers. accidents waiting to happen!

as the years go by more and more people are show'n up at the dunes, off weekends

are a thing of the past, quads, dirt bikes, sand rails all traveling at high rates of speed going

in every direction.

I've allways used the left turn rule when hill climbing, if you can't make it up the hill

you turn to the left and head back down, that way it was predictable what you were doing

we used to wait till the person ahead of you cleared the hill before you took off.

now people go every which way

same as driv'n on the street, when you come up on someone you'd yeild to the right

now it's like a gun fight, or a chicken match you have to wait till they make a move,

then try avoid hitting them.

myself I'm ready to throw in the towel and do something different, in fact I went and

bought another harley today.

I think the accidents at the dunes are only gonna get worse, more and more

I hear of life changing accidents that just were bound to happen

anyway, anyone have any ideas to make it safer for a guy to take his family to the dunes??

or is gonna become dare devil crash fest

Steve, what you involved in was a freak accident. Those can happen anywhere, anytime. Yes there is some danger in our sport or hobby, but you are going to have that in almost any hobby, well other than golf I guess. :laughing: I wouldn't change anything you do other than maybe start going out on the off-weekends with your family. The number of people on an off weekend is a fraction of that of a holiday weekend. You can't stop doing what you love just because of an accident. They are going to happen. You didn't do anything wrong. Besides, we need more people like you in the dunes anyways. :isbb:

I agree with Pete !

I was hurt , in 2006 I blew apart the 12th vertabrea in my back !! they didn't know if I would walk again.

I am doing ok , we have 4 children , and are scared for them !! But , we all love to ride, and what ever you get into will have it's dangers ! off weekends rule !! :xmas4:

I also find myself thinking of the safety of family and friends when we are at the dunes. We lost a good friend a few years ago at glamis and I thought that would be the end of dunning but it wasnt. Bottom line is I agree with Pete there is danger in anything we do. the more people we have at the dunes like yourself that are concernd about safety hopefully will make it a safer place in the future for all of us.

I agree there is definately danger in everything we do. There are car wrecks everyday, but I am not going to stop driving. My son and very good friend got in a wreck, wow it'll be a year ago Sat. My son remembers everything, he was back a quad the following Sunday, but it took him until Aug night ride to be able to get in a buggy again and go on a ride at night. I still thank both Don and Ken for helping him out with those things!!I was nervous going back out. And there is not a time that I go out that I don't think about that night. I am more aware of my surroundings and what is going on then before. But I don't want to give up something I love.

I got to see my friend last week, and he's doing good. And it did me some good to see him again! :D

I've had the same thoughts plenty of times but keep going out whenever I can. Kids learn alot from us setting an example. Being more and more responsable as a rider and a parent is all part of it. Ya sure I don't get too many good rides in on busy weekends because I won't let my kids out of my sight (or I'm a bit efed up). But oh man those off weekends are what it's all about... I've been considering another street bike for a while and I'm sure you know this but I think Dumont is a hell of alot safer than a street bike in Vegas...

myself I'm ready to throw in the towel and do something different, in fact I went and

bought another harley today.

You gotta to try and put this behind you.

I've been riding motorcycles for over 35 years. I've got four of them. I like to go fast. The score this year alone for my street bike friends is one dead, one in a comma since July, and two seriously injured. Two accidents, two fathers, two sons, two harleys, four badly hurt or killed.

You went and bought a harley and I went and bought a RZR. I don't think the keys are in the bikes. Maybe the wife will give them back if I put for-sale signs on them. Maybe she'll give them back if I load one in the trailer and get out of town before I get on it. Maybe she'll give them back when she sees that look in my eyes come spring. I'm not sure I'll like the look in hers. The streets of Vegas are extremely dangerous to motorcycles. Mine haven't left the garage in months.

You'll make your own decision and I'll make one come spring. Don't do it when the pain is fresh and get back on the horse before you do.

This much I'll tell you I'll damn sure dune or ride with you any day. What experience teaches us is sometimes very hard but IMHO the dunes will be little safer with you around. It's not about what what happened. You can't unring that bell. It's about what you do from this point. If you quit nobody gains.

Eli

You gotta to try and put this behind you.

I've been riding motorcycles for over 35 years. I've got four of them. I like to go fast. The score this year alone for my street bike friends is one dead, one in a comma since July, and two seriously injured. Two accidents, two fathers, two sons, two harleys, four badly hurt or killed.

You went and bought a harley and I went and bought a RZR. I don't think the keys are in the bikes. Maybe the wife will give them back if I put for-sale signs on them. Maybe she'll give them back if I load one in the trailer and get out of town before I get on it. Maybe she'll give them back when she sees that look in my eyes come spring. I'm not sure I'll like the look in hers. The streets of Vegas are extremely dangerous to motorcycles. Mine haven't left the garage in months.

You'll make your own decision and I'll make one come spring. Don't do it when the pain is fresh and get back on the horse before you do.

This much I'll tell you I'll damn sure dune or ride with you any day. What experience teaches us is sometimes very hard but IMHO the dunes will be little safer with you around. It's not about what what happened. You can't unring that bell. It's about what you do from this point. If you quit nobody gains.

Eli

Very well said, eli. :dance:

Steve, what you involved in was a freak accident. Those can happen anywhere, anytime. Yes there is some danger in our sport or hobby, but you are going to have that in almost any hobby, well other than golf I guess. :dance: I wouldn't change anything you do other than maybe start going out on the off-weekends with your family. The number of people on an off weekend is a fraction of that of a holiday weekend. You can't stop doing what you love just because of an accident. They are going to happen. You didn't do anything wrong. Besides, we need more people like you in the dunes anyways. :broke:

Eff that!!!! I had one of my worst injuries EVER on a golf course!!! :laughoff: almost split my damn dome in two!!!! :thumb:

I know there are lots of smart people at the dunes, and a lot that just don't think at all

But maybe ,just mabe if everyone kept this in thought we could come up with some Ideas to make it safer

something like some type of direction of travel, a section of the dunes thats slow speed, a jump section

thats one way, a higher speed track for quads, I know I picked up a phobia for what on the other side,

but I have always pre run the dunes slow because of the ever changing sand. most of the fun at the dunes is the freedom to do what ever, when ever.

I'm not sure what the answer is, or if there is an answer, but mark these words.

we as duners better do something or a group of people that have never been to the dunes

will step in. and when they start mak'n rules non of them will make sence.

I'll start off, add to this list any ideas you might have

flag size minimun 16"x16" 12' from the ground

Oh and i told my family that I was think'n of quit'n dun'n,,

they said, "We're gonna miss you" lol

Thats kinda how I felt as well. It'll take some time. I really wish there was a way we could make it better and safer. But about the only thing we can all do is just be as aware of what is going on around us and not get "in the zone" as so many people do. Give it some time, I know I liked to just go on short rides and kind of ease myself back into it slowly, and I am still working on it. But if its something that you and your family love, just take your time. Don't give it up yet, we really do need people like you out in the dunes.

Like Al Pacino once said....

"You can get killed walkin your doggie!"

Everytime I wreck, I go through the same thing......especially this last trip when I had a collision up comp.....

what doesnt hurt us, makes us stronger (and wiser) :beerpint: :mc_smiley:

P.S......Keep dunin...ull thank urself later)

I can tell you, we stay in camp most of the time now..just spending time with family and friends is what its all about...I personaly think it`s getting craizer, but you can`t limit yourself...have fun... but you got to do :beerpint: what you feel is right......and whats BEST for your FAMILY... :mc_smiley: because your Family is the #1 love.... and you cant replace a family like you can a dune toy!!hope that helps..

Edited by rhino king

Off weekends are the cure all....if you can a mid week is even better. We do all the sports and off days are the best. This season went on a few rides and hardly saw anyone. ps stay away from comp. Comp and Banshee hill is always the hurt zone. We go way around and find a bowl and have fun. also camp super far away and you sleep better.

Off weekends are the cure all....if you can a mid week is even better. We do all the sports and off days are the best. This season went on a few rides and hardly saw anyone. ps stay away from comp. Comp and Banshee hill is always the hurt zone. We go way around and find a bowl and have fun. also camp super far away and you sleep better.

Craniacs hit the nail on the head here ^^^^^^......

IMHO the biggest problem of dumont is that it is in califreakinutsfornia :xmas1: .... dumont gets more crowded every year :laughoff: ( and i DO NOT like that glamis crowd :flipoff: .... you know, the ones with a big checkbook but no brain :laughoff: )

.... if everything works out i will most likely move to southeast Idaho this spring or summer: 2h away from little sahara....2.5h to st anthony and only off-season trips to dumont :sleeping:

• 2 weeks later...

Well you know I am honestly new to this I have never honestly been to the dunes yet but I can honestly tell you the dunes are nothing like the riding you would experience up in the Rockies where I am of British Columbia the riding is two totally different things. To have an accident and say there is danger yeah your right there is but look at it this way.

I am sure you drive to and from work every day on the day do you not see accidents happening there and if you do maybe because your just gonna up and quit dune riding maybe you should turn your drivers license in also and not drive that car or truck of yours either.

Oh right you could cross the street and get killed that's right maybe you shouldn't go outside. Do you see where I am going with this. I mean accidents happen man as long as you do precautionary things to help prevent things like this from happening yourself things will be that much better out there for everyone else you meet or come across.

It's like when you started riding that peddle bike of yours for the first time sure you got mad probably got some scratches and bruises maybe some cuts but I am sure you got back on and kept trying till you were able to peddle that thing all over the place.

I also remember the day my friend was giving me lessons on his motor bikes. When we were coming up where a jump was he went by just fine me I ended up almost smoking a guy that was to the right of me taking the jump. If I would have never of stopped like I did and I never would of seen that bike at the corner of my eye taking that jump his back tire would of slammed the front of my friends bike it would of been a mess.

The guy that hit the jump should have had his buddy he was with on the other side where we were watching if anyone was coming while he was jumping. I told my friend lets go back down to where we were I mean this guy even took it farther and started cat walking on his back tire zoomed up by me riding the hill I was on while I was trying to get my bike started to get out of that area.

When he started cat walking and all that by me I felt like grabbing a huge stick and ramming it through his back spokes on his bike but then I thought against it because I know one day that kid is gonna get hurt. I mean the friend of mine that I ride with has already broke his feamer bone riding like that kid we came across he even said that was like me before I broke my feamer bone.

The moral to my story is the people that often get hurt or have been in wrecks of some kind end up being the ones that do make it safer out there for the other people out there because they end up being that much more aware. I never even had to say anything to my buddy he said himself that guy should of been using his buddy he was with as a spotter while doing that jump.

If everyone was to be as responsible as just doing small things such as this your going to find that things will start to get that much better out there when your in the dunes. The thing is no matter how many rules are put into place accidents are still going to occur. I heard you were torn up bad about all this and what you are going through right now will only help you to be that much stronger.

Hopefully one day you will get back out there and get back on and do it again like when you were doing your best to learn how to ride your peddle bike for the first time. These things do take time but like I say to lose you after you have been through with what you have would be kind of like not getting on that peddle bike again.

This will only make you stronger and more aware go back out there when you feel comfortable. When I make it down there you will have to show me around as I am planning a trip to go down there.

Edited by Canman