Why so much?

I have been going to Dumont since I was 5 years old the days of the 110 3 wheelers and 250r's. Why are the Dumont passes for holiday weekends so much? Glamis has more bathrooms, more rangers, trash bins and yet they keep the fee at 25 bucks for any weekend. Dumont is my #1 but that fee is really bothering me. Does anyone know why they upped the price ?

Hmmm, I noticed a sharp increase in the amount of the LEO's. One I talked to was based in Palm Springs so these guys are probably getting double time. Could this be part of the reason?

Edited by Kevlar

The reason has been posted on here numerous times in the past when dealing with this topic. The BLM lost it's funding from the green sticker funds as well as from other grants last year. The extra fee is for increased BLM & medical staffing on the holidays when they are needed most..

I have been going to Dumont since I was 5 years old the days of the 110 3 wheelers and 250r's. Why are the Dumont passes for holiday weekends so much? Glamis has more bathrooms, more rangers, trash bins and yet they keep the fee at 25 bucks for any weekend. Dumont is my #1 but that fee is really bothering me. Does anyone know why they upped the price ?

The reason has been posted on here numerous times in the past when dealing with this topic. The BLM lost it's funding from the green sticker funds as well as from other grants last year. The extra fee is for increased BLM & medical staffing on the holidays when they are needed most..

what pete said. with an increase in the CA green sticker fees...HOPEFULLY :assblast: we will see at least a decrease in the gate fees. The picture that was painted at the last TRT meeting was positive, in that Dumont wont have to compete with other govt entities for grants.

30 bucks for a week of camping isnt bad tho, compared to other places i go.....10 bucks a day to camp @ pismo...with reservations NEEDED and getting harder and harder to get, due to the popularity in off-roading

the ISDRA is a completely different animal from dumont. their funding sources come from other sources than just green sticker fees, as part of that area is also a nature preserve too.

what pete said. with an increase in the CA green sticker fees...HOPEFULLY :assblast: we will see at least a decrease in the gate fees. The picture that was painted at the last TRT meeting was positive, in that Dumont wont have to compete with other govt entities for grants.

30 bucks for a week of camping isnt bad tho, compared to other places i go.....10 bucks a day to camp @ pismo...with reservations NEEDED and getting harder and harder to get, due to the popularity in off-roading

the ISDRA is a completely different animal from dumont. their funding sources come from other sources than just green sticker fees, as part of that area is also a nature preserve too.

so there is not day pass? its only week passes? $30 to dune for the day?

so there is not day pass? its only week passes? $30 to dune for the day?

http://www.dumontduneriders.com/passes.html

no day passes...only 7 days passes and season and as cmyfirepole said...MLK weekend is $40

$40 not to dune for one day...7. It's your choice to leave after 1 day. :laughing: j/k I know it sucks for day trippers.

Simply because it's worth it!!!!! :laughing::pissed::pissed::dunno:

I don't know why but yes this has come up several times here and you know what I say. You don't like it don't go then the thing I say though where the hell else are you going to go these days where you can spend 40 bucks on a day such as that day with your family and just chill for the ((whole day.))

Take your family out to the theaters some time and come back to me and tell me how much you spent. Please do not bicker about pricing because you have not been the only one that has. :laughing:

• 1 month later...

I don't know why but yes this has come up several times here and you know what I say. You don't like it don't go then the thing I say though where the hell else are you going to go these days where you can spend 40 bucks on a day such as that day with your family and just chill for the ((whole day.))

Take your family out to the theaters some time and come back to me and tell me how much you spent. Please do not bicker about pricing because you have not been the only one that has. :thumb:

oh god...dont make me sick!!!

who do they think they are just going out in the middle of the desert and taking our money to ride there?!?!?!?!?!!?!?

I don't think we should have to pay one cent.

I live in the mojave desert...and that would be like me going in the desert field behind my house and charging people to ride on it...

everybody acts like "its for a good cause, and it benefits us and our families".... i call B.S.

They didnt give a rats A$$ about dumont five years ago is because the sport hadn't blown up yet...then when they relized how many people were starting to go out there....they had to cash out on it!!!!

and if thats not the reason they're out there (money) then tell me what is?

It's not because they care about our riding spot that we have all loved for many years....its because they want to get in our wallets for every little thing we do....

pretty soon I wouldn't be surprised if we had to pay a fee for paying a fee!!!

And back to your quote...

you act like they are doing us a FAVOR by letting us have such a great time with our families for only $40 or whatever the price be...

step back and look at the big picture man...

My dad and I spent hundreds of weekands out at dumont for FREE

those were the best years of my life...God forbid we let some other father and son have that same great weekand with out paying your little fees.

and i'm bickering for everybodys sake...not just mine...

I understand everybody pays just like i sometimes do..

And i'm just as pissed off for them as myself.

Edited by $LibertyMiniMog$

P.S. its because of guys like you that the BLM is able to raise the prices like they do..or even charge..

becasue everytime they do you just roll over and say...oh well its still a better deal than going to the movies...

this isn't the movies man this is gods beautiful earth and wonderful pile of sand that he created just for you and I to ride our motorcycles on and spend time with friends and family...

In fact demanding fees for fun should be considered blasphemy.

Okay i'm done.

And i don't mean anything against you personally, its just that whole attitude that drives me a little crazy.

oh jesus, here we go again :banghead:

who do they think they are just going out in the middle of the desert and taking our money to ride there?!?!?!?!?!!?!?

Um, they are the Bureu of LAND MANAGEMENT.

everybody acts like "its for a good cause, and it benefits us and our families".... i call B.S.

So medical attention when you are bleeding to death doesn't benefit your family?

They didnt give a rats A$$ about dumont five years ago is because the sport hadn't blown up yet...then when they relized how many people were starting to go out there....they had to cash out on it!!!!

They aren't "cashing in" on anything. They list the spenditure report how the money is spent. It goes right back into Dumont one way or another.

My dad and I spent hundreds of weekands out at dumont for FREE

those were the best years of my life...God forbid we let some other father and son have that same great weekand with out paying your little fees.

So you wouldn't have had a good time if you had to pay a fee? It ruins the wekeend that bad huh?

and i'm bickering for everybodys sake...not just mine...

FYI: You don't need to bicker for my sake :thumb:

I understand they are LAND MANAGEMENT. I just wish they'd go "land manage" (whatever that means) somewhere else... it just another branch of the government that somebody created to have another way to take our money. You don't think we've paid enough already with all the taxes we've paid when we bought our toy haulers and trucks and quads and rails?!?!?!...I would Pay for JUST medical attention. but not for ranger joe to come give me a ticket because I shot off a bottle rocket. we're literally in the MIDDLE of the desert, why do they care what we do?

it goes back into dumont? what? they put up a few bathrooms, watered the road? We were doing fine with out any of their assistants before.

No it doesn't ruin my weekand. I've made probably 10 trips this year and flashed my stupid season pass every time to that little lady at the fee booth, who probably never even heard of this place before she got a job collecting fees, and i have a great weekand everytime.. it just makes me mad that thats what it takes. that while me and every body else that sees the beautiful desert the way it is, not as some amusement park that we should have to pay to get into, are fighting to keep it free for families to enjoy them selves 50 miles from civilization, you're telling the government "thankyou" for charging us, we had a great time...and thanks for watering the road...wouldn't want to get dusty!"

somebodys got to bicker for you...or you will just keepshoveling out your hard earned money. and making it more expensive for the rest of us.

guys dont get me wrong..I LOVE GOING TO THE DUNES. And against my will i have paid my fees... and we would probably have a great time hanging out together..I'm not the kind of person who complains about everything...but I will stand up for what i think is right and wrong. And friends..this is not right.

I understand they are LAND MANAGEMENT. I just wish they'd go "land manage" (whatever that means) somewhere else... it just another branch of the government that somebody created to have another way to take our money. You don't think we've paid enough already with all the taxes we've paid when we bought our toy haulers and trucks and quads and rails?!?!?!...I would Pay for JUST medical attention. but not for ranger joe to come give me a ticket because I shot off a bottle rocket. we're literally in the MIDDLE of the desert, why do they care what we do?

it goes back into dumont? what? they put up a few bathrooms, watered the road? We were doing fine with out any of their assistants before.

No it doesn't ruin my weekand. I've made probably 10 trips this year and flashed my stupid season pass every time to that little lady at the fee booth, who probably never even heard of this place before she got a job collecting fees, and i have a great weekand everytime.. it just makes me mad that thats what it takes. that while me and every body else that sees the beautiful desert the way it is, not as some amusement park that we should have to pay to get into, are fighting to keep it free for families to enjoy them selves 50 miles from civilization, you're telling the government "thankyou" for charging us, we had a great time...and thanks for watering the road...wouldn't want to get dusty!"

somebodys got to bicker for you...or you will just keepshoveling out your hard earned money. and making it more expensive for the rest of us.

guys dont get me wrong..I LOVE GOING TO THE DUNES. And against my will i have paid my fees... and we would probably have a great time hanging out together..I'm not the kind of person who complains about everything...but I will stand up for what i think is right and wrong. And friends..this is not right.

Why does it matter if the person collecting the fees knew about Dumont before they starting collecting or not? She is a BLM employee staffed to collect the fees. She isn't KEEPING the money for herself. :think:

Why? Do you think that bickering online on a public forum is gonna change anything? Does the BLM even know how you feel? Have you attended a TRT meeting to give your input. No.

Dumont is on BLM land. They are in charge of managing the area. I believe they are doing a great job actually. Without the BLM, I believe groups like the CBD would have even better leverage to petition for a permanant closure. You have to remember that the BLM enforces things like riding in areas that are closed due to animal habitat and vegetation. If people ride in these areas and it isn't enforced, then you can expect to see a fence around Dumont one of these days with a sign saying "AREA CLOSED". This is just one example of why I think it's good to have the BLM out there. I'm not gonna go into more reasons. You don't really seem to understand anyways.

I don't care about the fees. It is a VERY small fraction of what it takes to go out there for a weekend or even a day. I'll pay it no matter what and so will you. The only difference is it won't raise my blood pressure like it seems to for you. :laughing:

Thats all for now....I don't even have the energy anymore to deal with this type of attitude towards the fees. You have your feelings, I have mine. Cheers :shake:

Of course they know how I feel...me and a thousand others.

No your right i don't go to the TRT meetings...I'm busy with other things like working to pay for our next dumont trip.

All i know is were being charged way too much to go play in the desert.

I don't even understand BLM land..

did they buy it? as far as I'm concerned thats OUR land. Yours and mine.

Dumont five years ago was the only place you could go to have fun for free...and everything was just the same then...no plants were being saved or killed, nobody was complaining about not having bathrooms, or a watered road.

no. they just said it was theirs and now we pay to be there..

you don't understand that I'm saying theres thousands and thousands of acres of desert and land out there, and people ride everywhere through the desert...why aren't they there?

they go to where the money is...

I'm saying why do they even care about a pile of sand in the desert?

Because they can make money!!!!!

They're not charging people to go ten more miles up the road and ride thier dual sports into the mountains....because theres no money there.

Apparently you have alot of money to spend if you "Don't care about the fees"

don't even get me started on animal habitat and vegetation..

god forbid we run over a weed.

your right about one thing though..it takes alot less "energy" to just hand over your money, then say something about it...

Alright man agree to disagree.

I think the stte of california is so unethical, that to say they do anything for the best interest of anyone else has to be a lie. My dad pays over 500$ a month o property tax on a very average house. On presidents day I had the opurtunity to see the mining and house remains, and frankly everyone in the BLM that oversees the area should be FIRED. THEY HAVE OPEN MINES, with trails leading right to them. Not only are the metal covers inadiquate, they are damaged and MISSING pieces that are suppose to keep people out. So much so that a 400lb man could easily fall in and die let alone a child.

This is a state historical site, with state plaques at each site, and open mine shafts on the friggin trail.

If safety was truely a concern then there would be standards for safety like every other type of motorsports.

Safety is not having medical staff there to pick up the mess, its to keep it from happening in the first place, and judging by the camp speeders, drunks, metal stakes in the ground etc etc etc, its deffinately last on there list of things to be concerned with.

Plenty of staff checking passes in and OUT to make sure they get there revenue, but leo's in the dunes....far and few, or in camp for that matter. I did see three out parked by themselves on the way to the little dunes though, and only a minor present in the big dune camp area, were everyone complains of safety infractions? HHHMMMM

The state of california is so corrupt its not possible for anything they do to be for a legit good reason.