what are we paying for

Me and my dad went for a great weekend at dumont the weekend before x-mas. However when we finally reached the long dirt road to the main dunes we were sadened to find the poor conditon the road was in. It was more washboard then ever and we couldnt really get over 5 mph. Now im not saying i wanna blast down the road at 60+mph but 5mph is redicouls when you consider were paying extra fees to get into dumont this year. I dont mind paying for the increase to go enjoy a great weekend on the dunes but at the same time something should have been done about the road into the main section.

ps. sorry for the lateness of this post i have been insanely busy latley.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st off....here we go again :stirthepot: but I'll continue to defend the BLM regardless :banghead:

2nd....welcome to the site :D :beer_bang:

3rd...The entrance road, over the last few months of this season (in my opinion), has been in "above satisfactory" condition. They laid down some recycled asphalt in the summer of 07 because it was available and actually CHEAPER than the type 2 gravel that had been laid down in the past. Maybe you went down on a weekend that was before they ran the blade down it. Who knows. Either way, that layer of recylced asphalt was a good base layer for the road in the future. I'm sure it wasn't any worse than year's past or even worse...back in the day when you had to almost 4 wheel it to get to Dumont. My point is that you are traveling over a hundred or two (or even more) miles to get to an OFFROAD desination....why do you care that you have to travel down a dirt road that may be a little rough more a measly 3 miles? To actually answer your question of "what are we paying for"...that would be for BLM presence, medical staff, and maintenance like restrooms and road grading on the holiday weekends. The whole BLM spenditure breakdown is actually on the BLM website. I have the link if you would like it. :D Sorry if I may sound bitter, its just that all these questions have been answered in the past on here. You just have to spend a little more time reading and you''ll get your answers. Oh and the extra fees are not for better facilities or improved road conditions, they were actually increased to make up for lost funding that the BLM isn't getting anymore. So if you break your neck on a dune ride and need medical assitance on a weekend, you might not care you paid an extra 10 or 20 dollars to get in. The BLM is, more than likely, going to have medical staff there for you to get you to get you you safety.

1st off....here we go again :stirthepot: but I'll continue to defend the BLM regardless :blah:

2nd....welcome to the site :D :beer_bang:

3rd...The entrance road, over the last few months of this season (in my opinion), has been in "above satisfactory" condition. They laid down some recycled asphalt in the summer of 07 because it was available and actually CHEAPER than the type 2 gravel that had been laid down in the past. Maybe you went down on a weekend that was before they ran the blade down it. Who knows. Either way, that layer of recylced asphalt was a good base layer for the road in the future. I'm sure it wasn't any worse than year's past or even worse...back in the day when you had to almost 4 wheel it to get to Dumont. My point is that you are traveling over a hundred or two (or even more) miles to get to an OFFROAD desination....why do you care that you have to travel down a dirt road that may be a little rough more a measly 3 miles? To actually answer your question of "what are we paying for"...that would be for BLM presence, medical staff, and maintenance like restrooms and road grading on the holiday weekends. The whole BLM spenditure breakdown is actually on the BLM website. I have the link if you would like it. :D Sorry if I may sound bitter, its just that all these questions have been answered in the past on here. You just have to spend a little more time reading and you''ll get your answers. Oh and the extra fees are not for better facilities or improved road conditions, they were actually increased to make up for lost funding that the BLM isn't getting anymore. So if you break your neck on a dune ride and need medical assitance on a weekend, you might not care you paid an extra 10 or 20 dollars to get in. The BLM is, more than likely, going to have medical staff there for you to get you to get you you safety.

I have nothing worth adding to this post!! - I have nothing worth adding to this post!! - I have nothing worth adding to this post!! - x2

poor pimpshack is a walking BLM advertisement

:booty:

:laughoff::banghead:

preach on brotha Pete!

I know I had said this before. When we were out for Thanksgiving and I was buying my pass, some people had the same exact question. I being the open mouthed jackass I am decided to school them in why we pay so much. I pretty much said what Pete said above to them. The BLM lady taking the money said, "Wow, can you stay here and tell everyone that!" I was like no, but I want you to know we appreciate you guys being out here, especially if me or anyone else I know ever got hurt. She said thanks and I went on my way. I guess a lot of people are still miss-informed that they lost their gov't funding and we as a recreational community need to pick up the slack to enjoy our favorite riding spot. If you can't afford the small price to pay, then don't come out. Whats a $100 or so spread out over a few months gonna hurt?

:lol::laughoff:

Since questions of the entrance road and user fee increase keep coming up I think I may put together something on the site (maybe on the passes or info page) about why the fees went up, what your money goes towards, etc. That way when people ask on the forum we can just copy and paste that text or just post the link rather than having to post it all over again. :lol:

no matter what happens, with any dumont related issue, its gunna piss off somebody, and somebody will complain. people need to be more tolerant of things, although 30$ for a few hours of riding is sort of expensive. but i guess its designed that way for a reason...

gotta pay to play..

I think that would be a good idea to post the fee's ect on the main page because this kind of post being posted like day in and day out is really getting old.

Well the fees are already posted on the homepage and the passes page. I was mostly referring to posting the reasons behind the increase and a little more info about the fees and the funding associated with them. ;)

If you don't like the fees PLEASE go somewhere else! It seems like money well spent to me,maybe if they could raise the fees again it will start to keep some people away.

With all we spend on fuel to get there,fuel for the toys,the toys,food and beer,the entrance fee is just a drop in the bucket.

And maybe if we ALL just slow down on the entrance road,picked up our trash,didn't run into each other, we wouldn't need the government support and there might not be any fees.

Edited by lakecitydan

Since questions of the entrance road and user fee increase keep coming up I think I may put together something on the site (maybe on the passes or info page) about why the fees went up, what your money goes towards, etc. That way when people ask on the forum we can just copy and paste that text or just post the link rather than having to post it all over again. :lol:

Whenever that happens.....I'm putting the link in my signature to make it easier to copy and paste!!! :laughoff:

If you don't like the fees PLEASE go somewhere else! It seems like money well spent to me,maybe if they could raise the fees again it will start to keep some people away.

With all we spend on fuel to get there,fuel for the toys,the toys,food and beer,the entrance fee is just a drop in the bucket.

And maybe if we ALL just slow down on the entrance road,picked up our trash,didn't run into each other, we wouldn't need the government support and there might not be any fees.

from what the vegas guys were saying....thanksgiving was LIGHT this year...so maybe the fees, in coordination with the gas and stuff tiedto the economy are working against some people?

Since questions of the entrance road and user fee increase keep coming up I think I may put together something on the site (maybe on the passes or info page) about why the fees went up, what your money goes towards, etc. That way when people ask on the forum we can just copy and paste that text or just post the link rather than having to post it all over again. :worthless_without_pics:

Great idea Pete! Just post it on the main page so everyone (members & guests) can see it.

Kids now a days are whimps!! They can't even handle a bumpy road to go offroading. :whistle: Let me guess the ones complaining about the rough roads are probably the ones that drive all the way out there and hardly ride and leave a huge trash mess when they leave.

One day Adult pass on Snow Summit= 51.00

Season Pass= 799.00

Lake Perris:

Weekend stay:

Camping=50.00

Truck and Boat=16.00

A little camparison, I'll pay the rate at Dumont and not complain....SF Woody :worthless_without_pics:

The fees are what they are due to funding being cut. There was a thread about before where, I beleive Vicki explained it all. If people think it is to high and want to know where ALLLLLL the money is going, they need to attend some meetings, write some letters, etc......... Like Woody said, look at the cost of other places.

first off i appologize, i did do very little searching on this and for that im sorry.

second i dont mind paying the fees at all. i have been going there for years and honestly it was the roughest it has been in a very long time. so that was my issue. Im happy to pay for the extra services we are granted out there the road was just really sh*tty and the gratter was there that weekend so that was my biggest complaint.

third thank you for the info about the break down of the blm fees dunefreak i appreciate that.

sorry for the greif guys just was unhappy bout the condition of the road.

Since questions of the entrance road and user fee increase keep coming up I think I may put together something on the site (maybe on the passes or info page) about why the fees went up, what your money goes towards, etc. That way when people ask on the forum we can just copy and paste that text or just post the link rather than having to post it all over again. :worthless_without_pics:

and I think you should make reading it and e-signing it a condition of registering on the site, so we can finally put this battered horse out of it's misery.

By the way Pete, I appreciate all the BLM information you pass along to us and I actually do read it :whistle:

and I think you should make reading it and e-signing it a condition of registering on the site, so we can finally put this battered horse out of it's misery.

By the way Pete, I appreciate all the BLM information you pass along to us and I actually do read it :offtopic:

:offtopic: thanks and your very welcome :dunno:

I think that would be a good idea to post the fee's ect on the main page because this kind of post being posted like day in and day out is really getting old.

post-1889-1200284024_thumb.gif coming from a guy who's been a member for less than a month!! :D

That road is like velvet compared to the road into the Logandale trails! 3½ miles and at LEAST 30 minutes to drive it. I consider ourselves lucky for the improvements done so far! post-1889-1200284617_thumb.gif