Dually 4x4 in the sand

fyrpm

Those of you that have duallies and bumper pull trailers, Do you release the torsion bars on the hitch when you go in the sand. The reason i ask is that, last weekend i was out and got stuck with 4x4 in the sand. All my friends have single rear tires and 4x4 and 5th wheels. they drove circles around me. The only thing i can think of is the torsion bars taking to much weight off the rear of my truck. My truck is stock, and it buried it self quick, The limited slip works well. The only other thing is maybe air down. Im trying anything now, I dont want to replace the tires for wider and bigger ones until i have worn out the ones on there. Any advice thanks.

We have a Dodge dually and a WW SLC 3705 5er and we air down the WW TO 25 LB and the TV to 50 LB and no problem just can't turn to sharp to much drag on TV and might pop a bead on the trailer no problems in the last 25 years. Hope this helps Paul

As per the other topics in the forum, the torsion (weight distr.) bars should be removed before heading into the sand; especially on a dually, when you want most of the tongue weight on the rear tires. U may also risk damaging your trailer tongue/frame area by not doing so. :freakin_nuts:

As per the other topics in the forum, the torsion (weight distr.) bars should be removed before heading into the sand; especially on a dually, when you want most of the tongue weight on the rear tires. U may also risk damaging your trailer tongue/frame area by not doing so. :MBdance:

I've got two buddies that have Duallies and when we hit PISMO, they also disconnect the torsion bars, otherwise they said it would tear up the trailer and hitch, plus it puts the weight back onto the axle of the truck. They also air-down to 25 on the TV and 35 on the trucks and theyre pulling 38 tags... but I dont think they air-down at Dumont unless we pull into the deep stuff.... but they always disconnect the bars at the entrance of Dumont road.

:woo_hoo: Good Luck

Edited by Sandpirates2

• 1 month later...

Found the fix. Thanks guys.

1. Get new tires ( 265 70 18 toyo mud terrian). Generals SUCK in the sand. got 40k out of them.

2. Air down from 80 psi to 40 psi

3. Remove torsion bars.

4. Watch were you go, get out and walk it. ( Most Important)

5. Dont go alone (just in case)

I used to drive my dually through the sand with the tires air down only. I never had any issues. And I never touched the torsion bars. But again, its how you drive in the sand while pulling. experience counts I guess.............. :shocked2: :shake:

• 1 month later...

Maybe a silly question but here goes any way. I understand airing down the truck tires to get a bigger contact patch on the ground, but what's the point of airing down the trailer tires?

Thanks, Lance

Edited by Lance

Maybe a silly question but here goes any way. I understand airing down the truck tires to get a bigger contact patch on the ground, but what's the point of airing down the trailer tires?

Thanks, Lance

Pretty much for the same reason. Its so the trailer tires don't sink as much and begin to plow.

Where you go in dumont makes a BIG difference, Ive got a 2wd truck and a 20ft travel trailer.

Ive been to dumont probably 15 times with the trailer and never got stuck untill the last trip out, my buddies camp was almost at the base of the big dune on the left of the entrance to comp/banshee, it was mega soft and my truck buried itself hardcore.

I had to dig the hitch out of the sand so I could get unhooked and towed out.

If I dont go in that close im normally fine.

My usual thing is to stop by the ranger station and air down to 20 or so PSI and then keep it nailed in the soft stuff, even this doesnt work close to the dunes tho.

Yep, when u can find em (and afford em) ditch the duallies for one fatty in the back. Cruising a dually in the sand, is like trying to ride a 10 speed in the sand - no bueno !!! - did it once there at the D , never again !