new ?

barneycar

OK !!! I want a new something ? but what, I drove a new Dodge mega cab long bed 4x4 with the new motor and liked it. But it was 56,000 and I can buy a tracktor for 25,000 looking at a 2002-04 Peterbuilt of Freightliner to pull the new fifth wheel looking to get a 40 footer or buy a pusher of the same size ???????

what would you do?????????

Sounds like money isn't a problem for you so,

I'd get a pusher and a box trailer for the toys. :think:

Guess I'll stick with my little Ragen' till I win Lotto. :unsure:

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy. How exciting. :laughing:

R-

OK !!! I want a new something ? but what, I drove a new Dodge mega cab long bed 4x4 with the new motor and liked it. But it was 56,000 and I can buy a tracktor for 25,000 looking at a 2002-04 Peterbuilt of Freightliner to pull the new fifth wheel looking to get a 40 footer or buy a pusher of the same size ???????

IMHO forget the pusher and buy a Pete :laughing:

normal_DSCF3771.jpg

Freightshaker drivers may like to tell you that under the skin all trucks are the same....NO! ; they are not

Petes are usually a little more $$ but you get what you pay for.

things like the superior suspension geometry are part of what made the "on and off the road" reputation of Peterbilt legendary

Edited by spooner

never ask me that question :unsure::think: ...i just give you crazy ideas like this one:

Buy something like this Pete:

73761330.jpg

details

and add this GreatDane air ride trailer:

76892197.jpg

details

add some elbow grease (and a shower, toilette, beds, windows, kegorator :laughing: , sink, generator, fridge, cooktop, ..... )

and your all set :idea::dope:

btw did i already say that i like Peterbilts? :blink:

peterbuilt is built by paccar they biuld kenworth as well. i love petes like the 379 clasic cab. however, i never saw there work as a cut above just there styling. the 379s air ride used to beat you to death, but then again freightliners wernt called freight shakers for nothing,lol.

the diesel pusher imo is the only way to go.

So it's a pete for most of you. I would have thought you guys would go with the long bed mega cab 4x4 Dodge.

i think it is ok to go with a pickup truck if you need it as your everyday transportation and use it on the weekend to tow a modest trailer.

however, if you plan on driving a lot and towing something bigger then a lightweight trailer you need the right tool to do it.

IMHO diesel pushers are great for what they are designed for; retired old peeps that spend most of the time parked and dont drive many miles. almost all of them (except the really $$$ ones) dont have the tow rating and aft frame strength to safely tow a large toy trailer. you see a lot of peeps doing it but that does not make it safe or sane. i also dont like the drivers position right on top of the front axle. i gladly sacrifice a little interior room for the nose... but if you ever have a frontal collision i rather have the hood and the 3500lbs engine in between me and the other guys bumper.

IMHO the top argument for a semi is safety: right on top of the list is the "Jake brake". the "Jake" modulates the valves to turn the engine into a compression brake (basically it turns the 14 liter Cummins in our Pete into a huge air pump)...usually in 3 stages (by using 2,4 or all 6 cylinders)...it allows you to slow down or hold your speed on even the steepest hills without ever using the service (foot) brakes.

not like a friction brake, a Jakebrake does not overheat or loose any performance even if you use it for a extended time.

I agree with you, the bigger truck will never be used to it utmost extent. with a gvw of 80,000 most people will never pull that most weight. pulling a 40 er will never get there 20 thousand at most so the truck will not be working at all to pull a trailer. Plus savings of 25 thousand dollars. The new Dodge has a exhaust break on it as well. having the bigger nose in frount of you is a plus in a reck. the only thing is in the dirt they don,t do so well. I got stuck the last time out and had to have three differnt trucks pull me. So that why I was thinking of a 4x4 don't like to have others pull me. but with super singles and a lockers in a big truck should be able to pull threw the lose sand pretty good.

I agree with you, the bigger truck will never be used to it utmost extent. with a gvw of 80,000 most people will never pull that most weight. pulling a 40 er will never get there 20 thousand at most so the truck will not be working at all to pull a trailer. Plus savings of 25 thousand dollars. The new Dodge has a exhaust break on it as well. having the bigger nose in frount of you is a plus in a reck. the only thing is in the dirt they don,t do so well. I got stuck the last time out and had to have three differnt trucks pull me. So that why I was thinking of a 4x4 don't like to have others pull me. but with super singles and a lockers in a big truck should be able to pull threw the lose sand pretty good.

barney

talking about super singles; did you check out the new Michelin XONE plus? ...the regular XONE was a low profile fleet "highway" tire but the new plus (designed for O/Ops) is just perfect in size for a (sometimes offroad) RV conversion.

X_ONE_XDA_HT_PLUS.jpg

wide one

455/ 55 R 22.5.....thats 42.5" tall and 18 " wide ;)

superior flotation, fuel saving and 100 lbs lighter then a regular dually tire/rim set

looks great too....IMHO the way to go if your worried about traction in the sand

Edited by spooner

Spooner ,

them some good looking tires. having trouble on getting insurance quoites for the truck pulling a 5ft wheel

have to go commercial insuance and all I have tried will not give me any thing to go on. hopfuly I can get it to day so I can move forword with this.

Spooner ,

them some good looking tires. having trouble on getting insurance quoites for the truck pulling a 5ft wheel

have to go commercial insuance and all I have tried will not give me any thing to go on. hopfuly I can get it to day so I can move forword with this.

your Tractor needs to be registered as a RV... it is easier (and cheaper) to get insurance for a RV.

all you need is just to fulfill the basic requirements for a RV; a microwave, a small fridge, a sink with running water and a toilette (could be a portapotty) usually do the trick ;)

what about a freightliner or volvo crew MDT?

RC

we used to have a MDT (medium duty truck for the folks that dont know the short names ;) ) and it was a mistake

IMHO if you do it, do it right! : go direct to a HDT (heavy duty truck)

-the ride is a lot better (air seats, air cab and air suspension are standard in almost all of the HDT`s)

-bigger engine (it is just a more safe and relaxed driving experience if you have more power then you ever need)

-bigger hood = superior cooling and performance with a bigger radiator opening and a bigger intercooler

-Jake brake is standard on almost all HDT`s (IMHO that alone is already a reason to go HDT)

-engines that are designed to last longer (usually a HDT engine like the N14 in our Pete is designed to last a average 1000000 miles. MDT engines usually last less then half of that)

-more room and more driver comfort (MDT cabs are designed for short city delivery. HDT cabs are designed for the long haul)

-$$$ to run and maintain is no big difference

-footprint is no big difference (HDT is usually just taller)

....the list goes on and on

how about the sound of a HDT with 8in stacks and no mufflers :ban-split:.

got a quote to day for 600 a year on truck but the trailer is 1700 not to bad this is do able. plus looking down on all the good looking ladys

love that sound :idiot: ...... BUT i like mufflers better ...so that you can use the Jakebrake without every Highway Patrol stopping you :beat::dunno:

what kinda truck did you look at ? what are the specs ?

post-557-1201920026_thumb.jpg

2003 pete 387 c15 475 hp 10 speed 236in wheel base 617,213 mile

3.55 gears .This is the one I'm looking at

Ahhhhhh! .... i love it ..... join the Peterbilt club :beercheers: :freakin_nuts:

i like that color and the stainless bumper :stirthepot: .

looks to be in good shape and only 617k miles; there should be a lot of live left in that big Cat. (btw; check the upper U-joint on the steering shaft that goes from the firewall to the steering box : 387`s have a high misalignement on it and it wears out....make sure it is tight or let the dealer replace it before you buy ;) )

it has almost the same spec like the one im building for Roland (HIturtle)

normal_DSCF4272.jpg

it also has the big C15 Cat, but he has the pushbutton "Autoshift" automated manual transmission.

here is a "photoshop" pic of how it will look like when it is finished:

normal_roland3_001.jpg

will be one trick truck

are you keeping the twin screw or are going to single it out?

did you look into registering it as a RV?

going to remove the first axle. don't need the pull rate of the truck. yep I did check it out got a quote for 600

a year on the truck so thats not to bad . That trailer is bad a$$ how much is it?????????

he claims the trailer would be $ 550k new :DDRrocks:

that guy is selling the complete Rig with the 387 Pete (550hp Cat and 18 speed autoshift) for $400k ....i guess somebody needs money badly :headbang1:

great looking rig but IMHO you can build one similar like that for a lot less.

right now im actually designing a trailer for a friend ....he has a CDL and his boss actually agreed to let him use a company truck to pull the trailer on the weekends.

IMHO a WeekendWarrior style 5th wheel (sticks and staples) will not last very long behind a Semi.

my suggestion is to use a air ride "Electronics" drop deck van trailer. i like the GreatDane brand (its kinda the Peterbilt of the trailers :headbang1: ) you can buy them fairly cheap (in the $ 5000 to 7000 range) in good shape. a double drop offers more interior height but they are hard to find .

the quality and the integrity of a commercial duty trailer is nothing like any RV style trailer: large aluminum extrusions on the bottom and roof with a usually one piece aluminum roof and everything sealed and fastened together with structural rivets.....that will last you a lifetime.

here is a sample at what i think would work as a base for a conversion:

77127617.jpg

here are some dimensions:

-a 53' would be nice but to keep it legal in CA it would be better to use a 45-48' X 102"

-the inside height over the hitch (usually a ~8' area in front) is at around 108"

-a single drop E-Trailer with 22.5 is usually ~ 117" inside height.

-a single drop with 17.5 is at around 128" , but commercial truckers hate them little tires ; lots of high speed (heat) tire failure here in the west

-a double drop with 22.5 can be ~ 136" inside height, but has fender wells

cutting and framing windows and doors is no big deal (with the right tools)

there is plenty of belly room for all the fuel/water/waste tanks

the nice thing on doing it yourself is that you can use high quality (non miniature RV plastic :beer_bang: ) material and hardware to do the conversion. things like a real adult size shower and SS domestic style kitchen appliances.

here is what it could look like when it is finished;

3563169619338.jpg

hall04_exview3_full.jpg

the trailer is nice but we use it for more than going to the sand and cant get in to the parks.

but building your own trailer would be a great way to go put a couple of pop outs on it and you would have a ton of room.

the trailer is nice but we use it for more than going to the sand and cant get in to the parks.

but building your own trailer would be a great way to go put a couple of pop outs on it and you would have a ton of room.

i dont realy like slide-outs (too many problems with sand and leaks) but we are actually thinking to build the trailer partially two story with a pop-up roof...kinda a "roofgarden" like on this pusher :DDRrocks: ...

skydeck.jpg

...but with a solid roof panel that seals tight for driving :beer_bang: