An episode of Cops?

SanDollars

They rolled up on us and one of our crew's sandcar did not have his registration sticker on(he had it on his person, just not on the rail) and our experience was exactly the opposite, the cop was much nicer for the camera.

I would imagine that any portayal of leniency for underage drinking on camera would be suicide for the cop's career and a bad message to send out to others should this episode ever air.

JMO..... :)

ya i suppose thats a good point. they just treated her very badly. and the reason i say its because of the camera is because between all the people i was camped with, like 5 people got underage drinking tickets, but she was the only one when the camera happened to be around, and got handcuffed, then arrested and taken away in the back of the cop car to the ranger station. not only that but she was being screamed at, cursed at, and just made to look like an example in front of everybody at comp. but everybody else got a 75$ underage drinking ticket and a 'good day' from the rangers. thats why i was upset with the mentality that the camera gave the officers.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ya i suppose thats a good point. they just treated her very badly. and the reason i say its because of the camera is because between all the people i was camped with, like 5 people got underage drinking tickets, but she was the only one when the camera happened to be around, and got handcuffed, then arrested and taken away in the back of the cop car to the ranger station. not only that but she was being screamed at, cursed at, and just made to look like an example in front of everybody at comp. but everybody else got a 75$ underage drinking ticket and a 'good day' from the rangers. thats why i was upset with the mentality that the camera gave the officers.

Sounds like she was in the wrong place at the wrong time......

Was this the little skirmish that took place Sat night on the left side of Comp (while facing it) at about 9pm? We were up top watching the crazy when a big deal was made of something down there.... Couple of quad cops then 2 or 3 units rolled up shortly after. I could see the camera lights....

Edited by SanDollars

ya i suppose thats a good point. they just treated her very badly.

and just how is a LEO supposed to treat a person knowingly breaking the law? with a please and a thank you.

she made a mistake, probably not the first time she made that mistake either, and the officers needed to make a point.....Hell, it could have been a lot worse by investigating your intire camp to determine where the source of alcohol was coming from...you all got off lightly with only ONE PERSON getting arrested.

It has also been my experience that the people that get hooked up are also the ones making a scene about the whole ordeal....

and the reason i say its because of the camera is because between all the people i was camped with, like 5 people got underage drinking tickets,

:blink:

what was the initial reason the LEO's even came into your camp? underage drinking, or some sort of a commotion? or was this all at comp hill?

if it was a comp hill, what do you expect? a minor, in full public view, comsuming alcohol? you want the pity police? come onnnnnn take a little responsibility, fess up to your mistakes, learn from them, quit bitching about how terrible you felt your friends were treated, and move on...consider it a lesson.......you guys wanna continue to do that chit...go to glamis next time.

but she was the only one when the camera happened to be around, and got handcuffed, then arrested and taken away in the back of the cop car to the ranger station. not only that but she was being screamed at, cursed at, and just made to look like an example in front of everybody at comp. but everybody else got a 75$ underage drinking ticket and a 'good day' from the rangers. thats why i was upset with the mentality that the camera gave the officers.

:blink:

oh no, heaven forbid someone teach a lawbreaker a lesson so that maybe, under the same circumstances, they don't make the OBVIOUS WRONG CHOICE...

it used to be parents who did this. but now, unfortunately, it has mostly been deferred to our LEO's to do the parents job.

i may be wrong Tyler, but it sounds to me like you were hanging out with the wrong crowd this last weekend.

The sheriffs do not have a funco in dumont although they need one very bad . The only agency funco out that was the rangers .The sheriff only have a old vw beam car that cant make it up a couple of the big hills

Sheeesh!

Ok......let me generalize then. The film crew was in the Funco that was owned by some law enforcement agency.....that is paid for by the public. That is a waste of public funds.

Sheeesh!

Ok......let me generalize then. The film crew was in the Funco that was owned by some law enforcement agency.....that is paid for by the public. That is a waste of public funds.

The crew I saw was in a silver and blue flamed Funco. Looked pretty nice to be a LEO buggy. I didn't know they had any custom painted buggies....

Sounds like she was in the wrong place at the wrong time......

Was this the little skirmish that took place Sat night on the left side of Comp (while facing it) at about 9pm? We were up top watching the crazy when a big deal was made of something down there.... Couple of quad cops then 2 or 3 units rolled up shortly after. I could see the camera lights....

yes. that was us.

like 4 cop cars, the quads, the camera, the whole posse of them.

all that for some stupid sh*t.

and to clairify the situation, the ranger's were total douche bags to her because the camera was there. then when they asked her where she could be released, she brought them to our camp where we were told if we didnt fix everything that was wrong we would get $15,000 in tickets. then he left. no douchebagness at our camp site or to other people that got tickets. just very simple and to the point. but at comp when the camera was there it was a whole different story.

and to richard cheese: i wasnt with the wrong group of people. and im not gunna go to glamis. im going to continue to go to dumont and do as i feel and drink where ever and when ever i want. im not saying she did nothing wrong. she should not have been drinking in open sight. my point is that the rangers made a huge deal out of it because the camera crew was there and thats wrong. all of a sudden record gets pushed, a bright a$$ light turns on, and now it takes 5 police vehicles, 7 cops, a camera crew, a set of handcufs, and a trip to the ranger station to say what they did with a 75$ ticket maybe 4 hours before this. THATS my issue is how influenced the rangers are by that dumb a$$ camera and how they went out of their way to be a-holes.

yes. that was us.

and to clairify the situation, the ranger's were total douche bags to her because the camera was there. then when they asked her where she could be released, she brought them to our camp where we were told if we didnt fix everything that was wrong we would get $15,000 in tickets. then he left. no douchebagness at our camp site or to other people that got tickets. just very simple and to the point. but at comp when the camera was there it was a whole different story.

and to richard cheese: i wasnt with the wrong group of people. and im not gunna go to glamis. im going to continue to go to dumont and do as i feel and drink where ever and when ever i want. im not saying she did nothing wrong. she should not have been drinking in open sight. my point is that the rangers made a huge deal out of it because the camera crew was there and thats wrong. all of a sudden record gets pushed, a bright a$$ light turns on, and now it takes 5 police vehicles, 7 cops, a camera crew, a set of handcufs, and a trip to the ranger station to say what they did with a 75$ ticket maybe 4 hours before this. THATS my issue is how influenced the rangers are by that dumb a$$ camera and how they went out of their way to be a-holes.

I have no doubt the camera went to their heads.

yes. that was us.

I don't even know where to start......What the he!! do you expect the LEO's to do? :dope: If you want to break the law, :blink: (and BTW you stated that you will do what you want where and when you want)....you or whomever will be subjected to the consequences of those actions. :blink: We call it responsibility.

It's very simple really. Break the law, pay the price. I do not condone your actions, but I do respect your rights to be penalized for those actions. BTW, this is what fuels the fire of the activists. Thanks for nothing :booty::slap:

Sheeesh!

The Funcos following around the sheriffs are privatly owned cars hired by the production company not a dime of public funds were used.

Tough crowd. My mistake....it looked just like the LE Funco at night. :blink:

The Funcos following around the sheriffs are privatly owned cars hired by the production company not a dime of public funds were used.

I guess nobody reads what others bother to take the time to write. Thanks for clearing it up though.

Everyone seems like they are on edge lately. :blink:

I don't even know where to start......What the he!! do you expect the LEO's to do? :dope: If you want to break the law, :blink: (and BTW you stated that you will do what you want where and when you want)....you or whomever will be subjected to the consequences of those actions. :blink: We call it responsibility.

It's very simple really. Break the law, pay the price. I do not condone your actions, but I do respect your rights to be penalized for those actions. BTW, this is what fuels the fire of the activists. Thanks for nothing :booty::slap:

your not understanding my point.

i agree that she was in the wrong.

i agree she deserved some sort of punishment.

i disagree with why the rangers treated her like sh*t because of the camera.

other people had been caught for this same offense and got a ticket and nothing more.

she got taken away in handcuffs like she just shot somebody because the camera's were there.

thats my issue.

the camera's have no business being there, and the rangers shouldnt be influenced as easily by them.

The Funco was hired and paid for by the TV production company 100%. It was not a LEO vehicle.

Sheeesh!

other people had been caught for this same offense and got a ticket and nothing more.

she got taken away in handcuffs like she just shot somebody because the camera's were there.

thats my issue.

the camera's have no business being there, and the rangers shouldnt be influenced as easily by them.

I heard your friend was 15 and uncoopertive

i wasnt with the wrong group of people.

believe me, i like to have as much fun as anyone else, but for you to say that, after you posted about how many people in your camp got tickets, and underage drinking (i am assuming you are all underage, as you didnt mention anyone getting a contributing to the delinquency of a minor violation), IMO, a better choice could have been made...but thats just me

Prob. true, and he said he was almost arrested for telling the camera guy to eff-off. Okay so thats out in the open. Makes for a good story line.

Scott could you tell us what you guys were doing out there? Heard it was CourTv or an episode of cops. True?

BTW, this is what fuels the fire of the activists. Thanks for nothing :blink::blink:

exactly...you can bet the part about her being underage, and drinking in the dunes, with the glamisgonewild crowd (ill bet they got a shot or two of the stripper pole out there too, if that azzhat was out there)...with her face :booty: 'd out because she's a kid. people are gonna see that and become enraged at what they perceive goes on at dumont, and maybe, just maybe, contact their local legislators....and it all goes downhill from there.....

thats my issue.

Oh but I do understand your point! You think the cops had no right to "overreact" because of the cameras.

Here's what I think. They underreacted before the cameras were on. In otherwords...they gave you fair warning. They probably even kept an eye on your group hoping that these events would transpire. You and your group however were unable to discern just exactly what was happening or going to happen. It's called... giving them exactly what they wanted. They played you, punked you, and worked you. Sorry you feel "abused" by the situation. However I think the word "used " is more appropriate. LEO's have a job to do. If you give them ammo, they will use it. Oh yeah...they were on film / the record too. So I think it would be safe to assume nothing they did was unfair or over the line. Otherwise it would be their a$$es.

Edited by mredgy

There are a few peeps that keep making STATEMENTS of FACT so I am assuming one of you know what exactly was being filmed and why.

CARE TO SHARE? Inquiring minds would like to know.

I'll second that... there's several shows that follow the "Cops" format. Or it could have been a documentary crew. So if anyone had a chance to ask them who they were with, pipe up. Or not, in the big picture it doesn't really matter anyway... they were there, pictures were taken, now it's over.

A couple observations from a TV news guy: One, there's some confusion over whether or not talent releases are required in those circumstances. The answer is, it depends on who's doing the taping. News crews don't need releases in public areas, and only need consent of property owner in private. The basic issue is whether or not the company doing the taping is using the images expressly for profit. If yes, then you have a right to be compensated for use of your likeness. BTW, minors in public places are like anybody else... public is public. No release or parental consent is required for news usage.

Two, about LEOs "dialing it up" for the camera: Sure, it happens all the time. But, based on my experience in similar situations... I'll be willing to bet your friend either had attitude or you got a cop having a bad day, probably a little bit of both. Sorry your friend got the short end of the stick, but if she hadn't been a minor with alcohol... :blink:

Third, the "LEO" Funco... FWIW the rangers at Glamis have two, they were donated by Funco and the ASA for rescue and enforcement purposes. As to whether or not tax dollars were used, it's really irrelevant. Tax dollars are used to buy trucks, and helicopters, and trailers.. all sorts of things they use at Dumont. If there's a demonstrable need for specialized equipment, I don't have a problem with my tax dollars being spent to buy it. I'm sure if you or someone you love was wadded up at the top of Comp, you'd want rescue to be able to reach you... and that POS standard travel car I saw on the way out Monday ain't gonna cut it. :booty:

BTW, I just wanted to add: Prez was my first trip to Dumont... Mikey likes it! :blink: We'll see everybody out there again...

I'll second that... there's several shows that follow the "Cops" format. Or it could have been a documentary crew. So if anyone had a chance to ask them who they were with, pipe up. Or not, in the big picture it doesn't really matter anyway... they were there, pictures were taken, now it's over.

A couple observations from a TV news guy: One, there's some confusion over whether or not talent releases are required in those circumstances. The answer is, it depends on who's doing the taping. News crews don't need releases in public areas, and only need consent of property owner in private. The basic issue is whether or not the company doing the taping is using the images expressly for profit. If yes, then you have a right to be compensated for use of your likeness. BTW, minors in public places are like anybody else... public is public. No release or parental consent is required for news usage.

Two, about LEOs "dialing it up" for the camera: Sure, it happens all the time. But, based on my experience in similar situations... I'll be willing to bet your friend either had attitude or you got a cop having a bad day, probably a little bit of both. Sorry your friend got the short end of the stick, but if she hadn't been a minor with alcohol... :blink:

Third, the "LEO" Funco... FWIW the rangers at Glamis have two, they were donated by Funco and the ASA for rescue and enforcement purposes. As to whether or not tax dollars were used, it's really irrelevant. Tax dollars are used to buy trucks, and helicopters, and trailers.. all sorts of things they use at Dumont. If there's a demonstrable need for specialized equipment, I don't have a problem with my tax dollars being spent to buy it. I'm sure if you or someone you love was wadded up at the top of Comp, you'd want rescue to be able to reach you... and that POS standard travel car I saw on the way out Monday ain't gonna cut it. :slap:

BTW, I just wanted to add: Prez was my first trip to Dumont... Mikey likes it! :booty: We'll see everybody out there again...

Well said Dave. Good to see you at Dumont Dunes! Don't tell yer friends though, We don't want word getting out that it is better duning than brand G :blink:

naw, she was 17. at least thats what she told me and my understanding. i didnt really have reason to doubt it. if thats not the case then uhhhhh-o and i can see why the rangers may have been a little more upset.

believe me, i like to have as much fun as anyone else, but for you to say that, after you posted about how many people in your camp got tickets, and underage drinking (i am assuming you are all underage, as you didnt mention anyone getting a contributing to the delinquency of a minor violation), IMO, a better choice could have been made...but thats just me

no, thats my point. nobody got a contributing ticket and the ranger took everybody's ID that was with us and ran our names when he came to our camp. but the camera's wernt there.

Oh but I do understand your point! You think the cops had no right to "overreact" because of the cameras.

Here's what I think. They underreacted before the cameras were on. In otherwords...they gave you fair warning. They probably even kept an eye on your group hoping that these events would transpire. You and your group however were unable to discern just exactly what was happening or going to happen. It's called... giving them exactly what they wanted. They played you, punked you, and worked you. Sorry you feel "abused" by the situation. However I think the word "used " is more appropriate. LEO's have a job to do. If you give them ammo, they will use it. Oh yeah...they were on film / the record too. So I think it would be safe to assume nothing they did was unfair or over the line. Otherwise it would be their a$$es.

ehh, im not so sure. and our 'group' was not small. alot of the people didnt know eachother and we wernt together ever, except at camp. so idk how they could link us together, although that is an understandable assumption.

and it is possible that they underreacted before, but as soon as the camera came on they were a-holes.