Greetings from Dumont

ash

Yep, we are here right now. We left Vegas last night around 5:00pm with some rain, wind and even ran into snow at the hump. The drive out was nice and smooth. We got to the sand around 8:00pm. The road in wasn't bad at all, no dust at all. Our two rigs were the only ones coming in.

The wind was coming in from the West around 10-15mph, but no dust was blowing since the sand was still a little wet. The 4 stroke tuning lasted until around midnight, then things went quiet. The closest camp to us is about 300 yards away :shake:.

Woke up this morning to clear skies, 50 degrees and no wind. The kids were able to just jump on their quads and ride as much as they wanted. Around 10:00, the wind started to come up to about 5mph, which made it perfect. We took the kids over to the races, which was packed and watched some good racing. There were some fast azz quads over there. One guy flipped it right off the starting line and came down on the gas tank, which subsequently sent him rolling (slowly) off his quad. He was okay and after a little breath catching was able to race his heat.

We left the races and took the kids to the :think:. It was a nice ride with more virgin sand than I've seen in a long time. It looks like a christmas tree with all that garland on it. Anyhow, after that it was time to head back to camp. Kids had a great time riding all the way around. So at this moment, it's around 60 degrees, high clouds but plenty of sun and the wind is blowing around 10mph, but no dust.

Will post up some pictures when I get back tomorrow.

Holy moly did the wind kick up last night. Ripped the flag pole holder off the trailer. It howled all night and into this morning. It calmed down for about 1/2 hour, then it was on again. Clouds starting really coming over the mountains and the wind was at least 25mph. So we were packed up and rolling at noon. There was hardly anyone left this morning. Here's some pictures I took yesterday.

I'll post up the race pics after these

post-625-1203900065_thumb.jpg

post-625-1203900087_thumb.jpg

post-625-1203900110_thumb.jpg

post-625-1203900136_thumb.jpg

post-625-1203900205_thumb.jpg

post-625-1203900243_thumb.jpg

What a great weekend. I would like to thank the weather, and FSA for keeping the dunes as empty and as groomed as possible. You could not have asked for better dunes. Pristine!!!!

Was anyone actually riding or duning this weekend? If there were I rarely saw them. I have never in my years of duning at Dumont seen the dunes that empty. What a unique weekend.

Thank God too, My bike was down and I had to ride the quad. If I ever have to ride a quad primarily, I want the conditions to be exactly the same. We got an early start on Saturday morning. Ended up getting three rides of just over 30 miles each in. Talked about non stop. Wow! Woke up Sunday morning and got another 28 mile ride in before the wind kicked up again. Had to turn the rig into the wind to load up, man it was howling.

I did not see anyone from the site. If I did I didn't realize it! :mischevious: :dunno::drunk:

Ya how bout that wind!!! Made for some perfect duning. I didn't see anyone out in the dunes all weekend. I took my kids in the dunes for the first time and they did great!!!! (The last two trips they played on the same hill all weekend) That little KX65 was just screaming through the dunes as I was yelling at Jake to SHIFT!!! LOL This was my boys first time duning since we started parking indasand. Third trip ever on a paddle. They followed me wherever I went and if the hill was to steep for them or too tall they just picked a better line and got right back in behind me and kept on riding. My youngest actually led the way for quite a while as I was freaking out thinking how in the heck does he now how to read the dunes? Fricken kid w/ no fear I suppose... As the sun was going down Sat night and we were heading back to camp that little 65 ran out of gas about 20' from the trailer. My kid takes off his helmit and says "Dad it doesn't get any better than that" I used to regret (sp?) getting two wheelers for my boys instead of quads but this weekend proved that I made the right decision.

Home sweet Home

post-1526-1203967427_thumb.jpg

Kids always amaze me. They are way more capable than we give them credit for!

BTW...where were you guys camped? :mischevious:

Yup there gonna kick my a$$ one of these days... LOL

We camp pretty far north in front of some hills that don't seem to get to busy ever. on the map just keep driving past B-1

:dunno:

My son and I were duning most of the weekend. I was on a red TRX 450 and my son was on a white Z-400. The dunes were like butter. It was fantastic until Sunday about 11 am when the wind and sand started removing skin from my face. We saw a few groups of quads in the dunes, but I was suprised when there seemed to be more rails then quads in the dunes....

We were in F-10 / G-10 on the grid. Really no one around us. There were two rigs right on the bluff about 1/4 mile away??

Great place to camp. No one too close and you can see the dunes really well. We used to stay near Crapper #3. But all you could see was the finger dune.

:surrender: