Ropin' off the Dunes - Take Two

SkyNevada

Hi Everybody,

I found a thread that I wanted to reply to but, it was closed. Since I was part of the story, I felt compelled to say a few words. I kinda hate this, it's my first post at DDR although I've been a member for a year and going to the dunes for 3. Yeah, I know - a newbie but hey, what can I say except you gotta start somewhere.

The thread I wanted to reply to was the 'ropin' off the dunes' thread started by motoxman30. I've left his quote here and wrote around his using parenthesis and capital letters. Not because I'm 'yelling' but so it's easier to see my interjections within his words. Please hear me out before you agree/disagree. I'm not looking for a fight nor allies. It's more then likely a losing battle...and before you begin reading...I was in the camp motoxman30 is talking about. motoxman30's quote starts first...

'now i dont know about u but im gettin sick and tired of all these dunes being roped off

(AND I'M GETTING SICK AND TIRED OF PEOPLE DRIVING THROUGH OUR CAMP EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE WARNING MARKS UP!)

everyones putting up cones and ive almost run into em

(SLOW DOWN AND OPEN YOUR EYES!)

but id have to admit its gettin a little better

(YES, IT IS GETTING A LITTLE BETTER.)

we camped at d13 right next to that little dune over that hill at c13 theres 3 rigs they took up more space than our group that had 25 rigs

(WE GOT THERE EARLY AND STAKED OUR CLAIM. DID YOU NOTICE HOW MUCH SPACE WAS NOT TAKEN? I THOUGHT THE TURN-OUT WAS LOW AS COMPARED TO OTHER BIG HOLIDAYS. ALSO, WE HAD OTHER PEOPLE COMING AND GOING DURING A 7 DAY PERIOD.)

roped off most of the dune

(NO, WE DIDN'T ROPE OFF MOST OF THE DUNE. IT WAS A LENGTH OF ABOUT 50FT. WE PUT CAUTION TAPE AND CONES ALONG THE EDGE OF THE DUNE. IT WAS STILL VERY MUCH RIDABLE. HECK, I RODE ON IT A COUPLE OF TIMES. SAND RAILS HAD NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER. AND, IT WAS VERY, VERY STEEP ON OUR SIDE OF THE DUNE.)

and put metal stakes

(YES, WE HAD METAL [ALUMINUM] STAKES UNDER THE CONES. I WAS NOT AWARE THEY WERE ILLEGAL. I'LL DISCUSS THIS WITH MY FRIENDS NEXT TIME. HOWEVER, IF YOU ARE DRIVING AT A REASONABLE SPEED, I SEE NO POSSIBLE SCENARIO WHERE A PERSON COULD BECOME INJURED BY THEM. AFTER ALL, THEY ARE SAFETY CONES AND CLEARLY MARKED WITH TONS OF SAFETY TAPE AND AS MUCH FOR RIDERS BENEFIT OF WARNING THEM OF A VERY STEEP INCLINE. OH YEAH, DON'T MIND THE CHILDREN ON THE OTHER SIDE - THEY ARE REPLACEABLE AND VERY PLIABLE AS WELL.)

underneath the cone

(THAT'S RIGHT, THE STAKES WERE UNDER THE CONES. THANKS FOR MENTIONING THAT.)

me and my cousin are gettin tired

(WHAT, YOUR THROTTLE HAND/THUMB? IT'S NOT LIKE YOUR WALKING ANYWHERE.)

of goin all the way around

(OH YEAH, IT'S LIKE 37 MILES AROUND THE DUNE.)

and not being able to ride on this dune

(YOU COULD STILL RIDE ON IT. LIKE I SAID BEFORE, THE STAKES, CONES AND TAPE WERE ON THE STEEP EDGE OF THE DUNE WITH GENTLE SLOPE ON THE OTHER SIDE. IT DIDN'T STOP ANYBODY ELSE FROM RIDING ALONG THE DUNE.)

so at night we went up and took all of it down until they pulled a spotlight on us and we ran away with the cones back to our camp...kept all of it the next morning they have three more cones up there along with more caution tape banghead.gif pissed.gif

legally they cant block off the dunes like that so technically i FOUND the cones lying in the dunes

(NEXT TIME WHY DON'T YOU GO GET A RANGER AND HAVE THEM APPROACH US. THAT WAY, IT WILL BE LEGAL. BETTER YET, IF YOU FELT IT SO IMPORTANT TO REMOVE [sTEAL], WHY DID YOU JUST APPROACH US YOURSELF?)

the next night we went out on a ride in a wierd vehicle along the long finger goin out to the entrance of comp hill...we leaned out and grabbed all the caution tape and ripped it off

(VANDALISM)

rant.gif wedgie.gif later that night me and my cousin went back on top of the c13 hill and took all the cones down and threw em down the hill and brought their original cones back and threw em down the hill

(THANK YOU FOR RETURNING THEM. THAT WAS VERY KIND OF YOU AND YOUR COUSIN.)

that grinds my gears tho

we shoulda kept the cones cuz they aint gonna stop the metal stakes from goin through someones head

(WEAR A HELMET AND DRIVING UNDER 15MPH WHICH IS THE LEGAL SPEED LIMIT WHEN WITHIN 50FT OF ANOTHER CAMP. I DOUBT UNDER THOSE CONDITIONS THAT ANYBODY WOULD LOSE CONTROL OF THEIR VEHICLE MUCH LESS GO THROUGH SOMEONES HEAD. DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD A HEAD IS? JUST TAKE A LOOK AT YOURS AND MINE. THEY'RE TOO HARD! [WINK] I CAN SEE SOMEBODY LOSING CONTROL AND BECOMING IMPALED MAYBE BUT ONLY IF THEY ARE IMPAIRED. LIKE WITH ALCOHOL AND/OR ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES. BUT PEOPLE NEVER DRIVE WHILE UNDER THE INFLUENCE DO THEY? I IMAGINE THERE IS ALWAYS THE CHANCE OF MECHANICAL FAILURE THAT COULD CAUSE EXCESSIVE SPEED.

+ its not their dunes banghead.gif

hopefully none of u will disagree with what we did

i mean i did give them their cones back

but how many of u believe that we should be able to rope off whatever dunes we want??

THE CONES WERE FOR SAFETY. WE HAD MANY CHILDREN IN THE CAMP. STAKES, CONES AND TAPE ARE NOT GOING TO STOP ANYBODY FROM ENTERING ANY CAMP - THEY ARE A SIMPLY WARNING. WERE YOU AT DUMONT WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY AND MOST OF FRIDAY? THE WIND WAS GUSTING UP TO 70MPH! THE STAKES HELPED KEEP OUR WARNING/SAFETY CONES IN PLACE. WE ARE NOT AS FORTUNATE AS SOME OTHERS AND DO NOT HAVE MANY BIG, GIANT RIGS TO CIRCLE FOR A CAMPSITE - I HAVE A TENT. I'M ALWAYS PARANOID OF GETTING PLOWED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. THE STAKES/CONES/TAPE GIVE ME SOME SEMBLANCE OF PEACE OF MIND. ANYWAY, I COULD PROBABLY GO ON LONGER BUT I'LL STOP HERE.

I WILL SAY THIS, I'M REALLY GLAD MOTOXMAN30 RETURNED THE CONES. WE WERE ALL VERY PERPLEXED WHEN THEY SHOWED BACK UP. AND, I WILL TALK TO MY FRIENDS ABOUT ANOTHER METHOD RATHER THEN THE STAKES FOR NEXT TIME. MAYBE WE COULD JUST POST THE KIDS AT THE CORNERS AND GIVE THEM SHOTGUNS! HA HA...J/K! THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND TAKE CARE...BRAD

post-2459-1203857521_thumb.jpg

P.S. - AND 'YES', WE DID YELL AT THE KIDS TIME AND TIME AGAIN TO GET AWAY FROM THE TOP OF THE DUNE. WHAT CAN I SAY, YOU ARE ALL ADULTS - THEY ARE JUST KIDS. AND BY THE WAY, THE MINUTE WE REMOVED THE CONES AND TAPE WHEN BREAKING DOWN THE CAMP, ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE RODE THROUGH THE AREA WE WERE USING WHEN IT WAS STILL VERY CLEAR IT WAS A CAMP. SOME PEOPLE RODE WITHIN 3 FEET OF MY TENT WHILE I WAS PACKING UP. ANYWAY, THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR TIME AND FOR READING...

TAKE CARE,

Brad

one thing about ASSUMING that no one would hit the cones......you never can control what type of situation is going to occur, or who or what is right over the other side of ANY dune.

if two vehicles, for whatever reason, had to dodge each other on the top of that dune, and one rider decided the orange cone was a better hit than the front of the oncoming vehicle, well then, your metal stakes would have probably proven it wrong.

personally, i have never been on a big weekend with my family. but I have been to other riding areas that get about the same as Dumont Does on a big weekend, but in a 1500 acre riding area....pretty dense camping arrangements, with the next camp not yards away, but FEET away.

in order to keep other people from coming in our camp, we tighten up the circle as best we can, park vehicles between rigs, and work it so we have 1 entrance/exit for our camp. this cuts down on AZZHAT trespassing considerably.

as I am with a child myself, i can fully understand the want/need for you to worry about the safety of yours with 20-30K people, with various dune machines, but at the risk of putting your fellow duners at risk for a bad accident?

the one cool thing about dumont, is, compared to where i have ridden sand, the place is HUGE...and it has the little dunes too, which, in my opinion, is prolly the best place one could insure the safety of his/her children the best.

I appreciate your honesty coming on here and admitting the stake incident, and I understand that it is all about the safety of your children in the dunes. I think though, that if one wanted to be the SAFEST, then right underneath a dune, especially with a steep dropoff, isn't the safest place in a riding area.

Nice post, hopefully the townsfolk won't pelt you with produce or storm your house. There is no way you can please everyone on this issue.

Being safe is a huge thing, but when your safety measures endanger others, it gets tough. Most of the time the safety tape and cones dont bother me, and when I have found myself in someones "staked claim" it is by accident. Metal Stakes are just a huge no no, and illegal, no need to even explain that one. Some folks do a good job of taping/coning an area and others just take it to huge extremes. I really wish the surveyors would get out there and lay out streets and boundaries, then when we trespass we will know it.

i have a suggestion double up on the rubber pads that support your delineators and put a stiff sand mound around then . that way no stakes. and make sure you leave enough room for 2 buggies to pass each other on the top.

your proof that growing a pair and talking to someone is much smarter than wrecking someones camp and sneaking around. well written :DDRrocks:

Nice to have an honest reply, but I have a better suggestion....

Why not camp somewhere else on a busy weekend, where there is little traffic?

I agree 100% with Richard Cheese's post. We camped about 75 yards away from one of the fingers in a tight circle, away from traffic. No issues this time. I was riding the finger and several times had to either pass or bail out on one side, when we were faced with oncoming traffic.

Ok as one of the others that was camped with brad I ve got a few things to say to motoxman 30. First of all or camp was no where near the size of motoxman's camp. Second the "finger" that was roped of was a "finger" to no where. We were camped out of the way of all of the main traffic but did not realize that there would be a camp war with our neighbors. As for not going out on the busy weekends with the kids, some people dont have anyother time to go out with the kids other than the big weekends. If you have a problem with someone just man up and come over and talk with us. Trust me we are very reasonable people. I really cant understand why some people have this huge problem with saftey measures that people take to try and safegaurd there kids. Im sorry but a drunk fool with a piece of metal in his skull is any day better than a dead kid. Just think about that one. And thanks for bringing back the cones.

Al :DDRrocks:

Hi Everybody,

I found a thread that I wanted to reply to but, it was closed. Since I was part of the story, I felt compelled to say a few words. I kinda hate this, it's my first post at DDR although I've been a member for a year and going to the dunes for 3. Yeah, I know - a newbie but hey, what can I say except you gotta start somewhere.

The thread I wanted to reply to was the 'ropin' off the dunes' thread started by motoxman30. I've left his quote here and wrote around his using parenthesis and capital letters. Not because I'm 'yelling' but so it's easier to see my interjections within his words. Please hear me out before you agree/disagree. I'm not looking for a fight nor allies. It's more then likely a losing battle...and before you begin reading...I was in the camp motoxman30 is talking about. motoxman30's quote starts first...

'now i dont know about u but im gettin sick and tired of all these dunes being roped off

(AND I'M GETTING SICK AND TIRED OF PEOPLE DRIVING THROUGH OUR CAMP EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE WARNING MARKS UP!)

everyones putting up cones and ive almost run into em

(SLOW DOWN AND OPEN YOUR EYES!)

but id have to admit its gettin a little better

(YES, IT IS GETTING A LITTLE BETTER.)

we camped at d13 right next to that little dune over that hill at c13 theres 3 rigs they took up more space than our group that had 25 rigs

(WE GOT THERE EARLY AND STAKED OUR CLAIM. DID YOU NOTICE HOW MUCH SPACE WAS NOT TAKEN? I THOUGHT THE TURN-OUT WAS LOW AS COMPARED TO OTHER BIG HOLIDAYS. ALSO, WE HAD OTHER PEOPLE COMING AND GOING DURING A 7 DAY PERIOD.)

roped off most of the dune

(NO, WE DIDN'T ROPE OFF MOST OF THE DUNE. IT WAS A LENGTH OF ABOUT 50FT. WE PUT CAUTION TAPE AND CONES ALONG THE EDGE OF THE DUNE. IT WAS STILL VERY MUCH RIDABLE. HECK, I RODE ON IT A COUPLE OF TIMES. SAND RAILS HAD NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER. AND, IT WAS VERY, VERY STEEP ON OUR SIDE OF THE DUNE.)

and put metal stakes

(YES, WE HAD METAL [ALUMINUM] STAKES UNDER THE CONES. I WAS NOT AWARE THEY WERE ILLEGAL. I'LL DISCUSS THIS WITH MY FRIENDS NEXT TIME. HOWEVER, IF YOU ARE DRIVING AT A REASONABLE SPEED, I SEE NO POSSIBLE SCENARIO WHERE A PERSON COULD BECOME INJURED BY THEM. AFTER ALL, THEY ARE SAFETY CONES AND CLEARLY MARKED WITH TONS OF SAFETY TAPE AND AS MUCH FOR RIDERS BENEFIT OF WARNING THEM OF A VERY STEEP INCLINE. OH YEAH, DON'T MIND THE CHILDREN ON THE OTHER SIDE - THEY ARE REPLACEABLE AND VERY PLIABLE AS WELL.)

underneath the cone

(THAT'S RIGHT, THE STAKES WERE UNDER THE CONES. THANKS FOR MENTIONING THAT.)

me and my cousin are gettin tired

(WHAT, YOUR THROTTLE HAND/THUMB? IT'S NOT LIKE YOUR WALKING ANYWHERE.)

of goin all the way around

(OH YEAH, IT'S LIKE 37 MILES AROUND THE DUNE.)

and not being able to ride on this dune

(YOU COULD STILL RIDE ON IT. LIKE I SAID BEFORE, THE STAKES, CONES AND TAPE WERE ON THE STEEP EDGE OF THE DUNE WITH GENTLE SLOPE ON THE OTHER SIDE. IT DIDN'T STOP ANYBODY ELSE FROM RIDING ALONG THE DUNE.)

so at night we went up and took all of it down until they pulled a spotlight on us and we ran away with the cones back to our camp...kept all of it the next morning they have three more cones up there along with more caution tape banghead.gif pissed.gif

legally they cant block off the dunes like that so technically i FOUND the cones lying in the dunes

(NEXT TIME WHY DON'T YOU GO GET A RANGER AND HAVE THEM APPROACH US. THAT WAY, IT WILL BE LEGAL. BETTER YET, IF YOU FELT IT SO IMPORTANT TO REMOVE [sTEAL], WHY DID YOU JUST APPROACH US YOURSELF?)

the next night we went out on a ride in a wierd vehicle along the long finger goin out to the entrance of comp hill...we leaned out and grabbed all the caution tape and ripped it off

(VANDALISM)

rant.gif wedgie.gif later that night me and my cousin went back on top of the c13 hill and took all the cones down and threw em down the hill and brought their original cones back and threw em down the hill

(THANK YOU FOR RETURNING THEM. THAT WAS VERY KIND OF YOU AND YOUR COUSIN.)

that grinds my gears tho

we shoulda kept the cones cuz they aint gonna stop the metal stakes from goin through someones head

(WEAR A HELMET AND DRIVING UNDER 15MPH WHICH IS THE LEGAL SPEED LIMIT WHEN WITHIN 50FT OF ANOTHER CAMP. I DOUBT UNDER THOSE CONDITIONS THAT ANYBODY WOULD LOSE CONTROL OF THEIR VEHICLE MUCH LESS GO THROUGH SOMEONES HEAD. DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD A HEAD IS? JUST TAKE A LOOK AT YOURS AND MINE. THEY'RE TOO HARD! [WINK] I CAN SEE SOMEBODY LOSING CONTROL AND BECOMING IMPALED MAYBE BUT ONLY IF THEY ARE IMPAIRED. LIKE WITH ALCOHOL AND/OR ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES. BUT PEOPLE NEVER DRIVE WHILE UNDER THE INFLUENCE DO THEY? I IMAGINE THERE IS ALWAYS THE CHANCE OF MECHANICAL FAILURE THAT COULD CAUSE EXCESSIVE SPEED.

+ its not their dunes banghead.gif

hopefully none of u will disagree with what we did

i mean i did give them their cones back

but how many of u believe that we should be able to rope off whatever dunes we want??

THE CONES WERE FOR SAFETY. WE HAD MANY CHILDREN IN THE CAMP. STAKES, CONES AND TAPE ARE NOT GOING TO STOP ANYBODY FROM ENTERING ANY CAMP - THEY ARE A SIMPLY WARNING. WERE YOU AT DUMONT WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY AND MOST OF FRIDAY? THE WIND WAS GUSTING UP TO 70MPH! THE STAKES HELPED KEEP OUR WARNING/SAFETY CONES IN PLACE. WE ARE NOT AS FORTUNATE AS SOME OTHERS AND DO NOT HAVE MANY BIG, GIANT RIGS TO CIRCLE FOR A CAMPSITE - I HAVE A TENT. I'M ALWAYS PARANOID OF GETTING PLOWED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. THE STAKES/CONES/TAPE GIVE ME SOME SEMBLANCE OF PEACE OF MIND. ANYWAY, I COULD PROBABLY GO ON LONGER BUT I'LL STOP HERE.

I WILL SAY THIS, I'M REALLY GLAD MOTOXMAN30 RETURNED THE CONES. WE WERE ALL VERY PERPLEXED WHEN THEY SHOWED BACK UP. AND, I WILL TALK TO MY FRIENDS ABOUT ANOTHER METHOD RATHER THEN THE STAKES FOR NEXT TIME. MAYBE WE COULD JUST POST THE KIDS AT THE CORNERS AND GIVE THEM SHOTGUNS! HA HA...J/K! THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND TAKE CARE...BRAD

post-2459-1203857521_thumb.jpg

P.S. - AND 'YES', WE DID YELL AT THE KIDS TIME AND TIME AGAIN TO GET AWAY FROM THE TOP OF THE DUNE. WHAT CAN I SAY, YOU ARE ALL ADULTS - THEY ARE JUST KIDS. AND BY THE WAY, THE MINUTE WE REMOVED THE CONES AND TAPE WHEN BREAKING DOWN THE CAMP, ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE RODE THROUGH THE AREA WE WERE USING WHEN IT WAS STILL VERY CLEAR IT WAS A CAMP. SOME PEOPLE RODE WITHIN 3 FEET OF MY TENT WHILE I WAS PACKING UP. ANYWAY, THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR TIME AND FOR READING...

TAKE CARE,

Brad

we'll be a little more considerate and consciencious of the situation next time

i know u asked me to tell the leos but think of it this way

leos= possible money outta ur pocket

end of the weekend...u got everything back no money out

but like everyone was saying i thought it was for the kids protection?

but u told ur kids to get down off the dune when u have it roped off

kinda defeats the purpose

it used to be cones up on top of the hill no tape just to notify the people on the other side there were campers...but from wut i hear u didnt even ride on that part of the dune so y rope it off if ur not gonna use it? just curious not tryin to fight or anything

'...it used to be cones up on top of the hill no tape just to notify the people on the other side there were campers

Been there, done that. I doesn't work. Some people just have no respect for others 'space'. All is takes is one careless rider and bam! there goes a kid!

...but from wut i hear u didnt even ride on that part of the dune so y rope it off if ur not gonna use it? just curious not tryin to fight or anything

We did ride on the dune. Like everybody else, we rode along it as in parallel, just not over it as in perpendicular - it was a very steep incline.

We chose the spot because it looked like a good place, the dune made a natural 'corner'. Part of it being very rocky and nobody rode on that part at all. And no, we didn't even have to put cones up on that part, it was even steeper then in our camp. Yes, we did have to tell the kids to come down from off the crest of the dune as we would rather them play near the bottom. Picture the scene without any warning markers when they are at the bottom and a random rider comes over the top. It was so steep there would be no stopping and to turn would cause a roll-over and the smashing of children - if they were playing there at the time.

Anyway, more later maybe - I gotta get ready for work.

Take care,

Brad

P.S. Thanks motoxman30 for the response. Hey, I might even have a photo of you riding the dune. I'll have to check my files. l8r

Been there, done that. I doesn't work. Some people just have no respect for others 'space'. All is takes is one careless rider and bam! there goes a kid!

We did ride on the dune. Like everybody else, we rode along it as in parallel, just not over it as in perpendicular - it was a very steep incline.

We chose the spot because it looked like a good place, the dune made a natural 'corner'. Part of it being very rocky and nobody rode on that part at all. And no, we didn't even have to put cones up on that part, it was even steeper then in our camp. Yes, we did have to tell the kids to come down from off the crest of the dune as we would rather them play near the bottom. Picture the scene without any warning markers when they are at the bottom and a random rider comes over the top. It was so steep there would be no stopping and to turn would cause a roll-over and the smashing of children - if they were playing there at the time.

Anyway, more later maybe - I gotta get ready for work.

Take care,

Brad

P.S. Thanks motoxman30 for the response. Hey, I might even have a photo of you riding the dune. I'll have to check my files. l8r

thanks for being so cool about this and sharin ur experience :beercheers:

its people like you who make the dunes a better place to go to :beercheers:

u shoulda had a little track goin in there :eatdrink021:

I carry 20 or so extra whips, that way they are still visible while leaving more room on ridge to pass. Kids are not allowed near top of hill without an adult, someone runs them over we just put them back up no harm no foul. Every once in a while a few end up missing in the night, who cares... If they give one wreckless person over the years enough warning not to end up in our camp @ a high rate of speed they have served their purpose. We also leave it open to pass near the base of the dune, no problems just be respectful with speed. Pretty simple really, be respectful as our camp would, cool, come racing through camp and we will have to talk... :eatdrink021:

thats wut causes all this hostility bro :beercheers:

It's called havin fun sorry i guess i better move to the sticks !! you have to be kiddin me this site is supposed to be fun but you know what lately it's bs all the little haters that act like they been dunin for years whatever get over it i just wanna have fun either here or anywhere :eatdrink021: :beercheers:

the only problem i see in this thread so far is Warrior07's smart a$$ remarks... If you cant play nice i can make you play nice... there is a nice suspend feature of the forums... Tone it down warrior.

the only problem i see in this thread so far is Warrior07's smart a$$ remarks... If you cant play nice i can make you play nice... there is a nice suspend feature of the forums... Tone it down warrior.

i'll tone it down it just get's old listening to these threads go on and on isbb sorry if i done anything wrong smile some ones looking :beercheers: :eatdrink021:

i'll tone it down it just get's old listening to these threads go on and on isbb sorry if i done anything wrong smile some ones looking :beercheers: :eatdrink021:

just because they go on and on and on doesnt mean anything.. people are going to post what they want.. However with remarks like yours have been it does nothing but stir the pot towards negativity.. Yes we all get frustrated listening to the same old crap however it does not warrant some of the comments that have been made...

just because they go on and on and on doesnt mean anything.. people are going to post what they want.. However with remarks like yours have been it does nothing but stir the pot towards negativity.. Yes we all get frustrated listening to the same old crap however it does not warrant some of the comments that have been made...

ok sorry i'l tone it down just wanna have fun :eatdrink021: