Sad Day at Dumont today

Free Agent

It took hours for help to assist this dunebuggy accident accident at Dumont today.

Rangers and Fire rescue finally arrived, only to be stranded at the entrance rd with no dune transportation, and they had to bum rides from duners to reach the scene furthur delaying assisting the accident victims

Where are our entrance/user fees going?

One BLM employee on the scene mentioned nothing has changed since the fees began.

They had no 4X4 or any sort of sand transportation as the video will show rangers and fire rescue personell had to rely solely on duners to reach the scene, and again to transport the victim to the Med Evac Coptor.

Edited by yfzdad

I hope the victim(s) are ok. :( Sad to hear of any accidents.

Let me set the record straight about the fees (like I have a million times in the past). The increase in fees does NOT pay for any extra rescue staff. You aren't going to see changes. The fee increase was to make up for funding that Dumont lost last year. It is sad to say...but I think that Dumont does not have the funding to provide medical and rescue staff on every weekend like the large holiday weekends. I think the holiday weekends abosrb most of fee money because the demand is so much larger on those weekends. I hope this doesn't start another arguement about the stupid fees. I'm just trying to give an inside look at what the INCREASE was all about. (to make up for lost funding for what we already had) If there was to be medical staff personel on site 24 hrs a day with many different vehicles could you imagine what we'd be paying then? :beerpint:

It looks like the camp host was there. (the white rescue Rhino) Was he the one who transported the victim(s) or no?

Regardless. I agree the rescue crew should have come out with better vehicles to assist with this accident. Thats just pathetic regardless of what we're paying.

BTW, welcome to the site :D

The point Pete is not for extra rescue staff, or that their should be or not be fees.

The point is at least the BLM can simply have a duneworthy vehicle so rescuers can reach the scene on an weekend.

This isn't year round, it's the 4 or 5 month period, on weekends, that the dunes are in use.

One female passenger was eventually transported out. It was a long, long time.

Not sure if the Dunebuggy rolled or center punched the inside of the bowl.

This incident demonstrates my family will consider ourselves on our own, to be self-reliant & prepaired to evacuate our own injured in case of an accident.

We paid $60 for a 2 day stay btw, and we have a stack of recipts for our years visits.

Also Pete, what are you doing up so late? You need a good nites sleep, That may be our truck you're working on tomorrow and we want you rested.

Edited by yfzdad

Most of you already know my views of the fees situation. I wont repeat... :beerpint:

Heres my take though, if the BLM has these nice shiny LT cars (stock VW powered) why dont they leave a couple with the camp hosts?? Im sorry but a Rhino is not suitable for removing people. They are to small and too under powered, not to mention pretty unstable. A modded out (wider, more power etc.) one would prolly be suitable but the cost would be similar to a small rail which is much more suitable for the job. (wider, lower CG, more power, etc.).

Ive seen white police (Sheriff??) LT cars (stock N/A VW powered) and an orange similar car that was equipped for stretchers (although on the roof, SCARY!!) why cant even ONE of these be left on hand?? I dont think there is many other places in Cali they are used besides "D"??

Heck, a cheap old 4x4 truck with paddles on it would be way better then what they have now. Why dont they take $3K of our fees and hit Craigs List, buy an old beater 4x4 and give it to the camp hosts?? Its not like it has to be street legal (insurance/reg costs). It wouldnt need any special skills to operate, and if I was hurt, i'd feel a hell of a lot better strapped into the bed of a pickup then sticking out both sides of a Rhino!!! :think:

The point Pete is not for extra rescue staff, or that their should be or not be fees.

The point is at least the BLM can simply have a duneworthy vehicle so rescuers can reach the scene on an weekend.

This isn't year round, or even every day we're talking about, it's the 4 or 5 month period, on weekends, that the dunes are in use.

One female passenger was eventually transported out.

Not sure if the Dunebuggy rolled or center punched the inside of the bowl.

This incident demonstrates my family will consider ourselves on our own, to be self-reliant & prepaired to evacuate our own injured in case of an accident

I hear ya. It just sounded like a big part of your post was because our fees went up and that there should be more rescue vehicles and personel because of it. I completely agree they should have been better prepared. It's pretty scary knowing that if something happened out in the middle of the dunes that there would be limited ability for rescue crews. It's just one more reason not to dune by yourself.

Most of you already know my views of the fees situation. I wont repeat... :beerpint:

Heres my take though, if the BLM has these nice shiny LT cars (stock VW powered) why dont they leave a couple with the camp hosts?? Im sorry but a Rhino is not suitable for removing people. They are to small and too under powered, not to mention pretty unstable. A modded out (wider, more power etc.) one would prolly be suitable but the cost would be similar to a small rail which is much more suitable for the job. (wider, lower CG, more power, etc.).

Ive seen white police (Sheriff??) LT cars (stock N/A VW powered) and an orange similar car that was equipped for stretchers (although on the roof, SCARY!!) why cant even ONE of these be left on hand?? I dont think there is many other places in Cali they are used besides "D"??

Heck, a cheap old 4x4 truck with paddles on it would be way better then what they have now. Why dont they take $3K of our fees and hit Craigs List, buy an old beater 4x4 and give it to the camp hosts?? Its not like it has to be street legal (insurance/reg costs). It wouldnt need any special skills to operate, and if I was hurt, i'd feel a hell of a lot better strapped into the bed of a pickup then sticking out both sides of a Rhino!!! :laughing:

Wow, I actually agree with you this time! :think::assblast:

Although the camp host Rhino isn't wider or LT, it has been worked over some....

http://www.dumontduneriders.com/project_rescue_rhino.html

I think Don's Rhino is probably a little more agile and can go some places a full size truck can go though. :laughing:

similar situation in 98 in big bowl motorcycle rider, jumped down into big bowl . he went almost to the bottom . the landing broke his neck. he died instantly. blm had no way to remove him. people camped with us had a pre runnered suburbun. he had to haul the body out for the coraner.

the incident above showes that they definately need a piece of equipment on hand at all times for this sort of situation. maybe fodd can raide this concern ???? if you think about it they could cut 3 officers for one holiday and could afford a older 4x4 left with the camp host for these situations.

over superbowl weekend, we were there from Wed through Sun......

we went for a short ride in the ranger LATE wED NIGHT to get cell service @ the north pole & make a call..and caught some of the BLM people putting up the fence, stuck WAAAAY out in outta bounds territory :beerpint:

when we arrived on the scene, they said they had been out there for 4-5 hours already.... :assblast:

i guess that is what is expected when you choose to dune OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE :think:

Edited by richard cheese

Heck, a cheap old 4x4 truck with paddles on it would be way better then what they have now. Why dont they take $3K of our fees and hit Craigs List, buy an old beater 4x4 and give it to the camp hosts?? Its not like it has to be street legal (insurance/reg costs). It wouldnt need any special skills to operate, and if I was hurt, i'd feel a hell of a lot better strapped into the bed of a pickup then sticking out both sides of a Rhino!!! :think:

We are kinda on our own , but I think Sand Saw is on to something !

that would be way to easy , with a medic rail ! when I crashed , my buddy got the medics back to me and then all of us out to the hard pack [ thanks Joey ] But if no one were there , I"d still be out there !

We are kinda on our own , but I think Sand Saw is on to something !

that would be way to easy , with a medic rail ! when I crashed , my buddy got the medics back to me and then all of us out to the hard pack [ thanks Joey ] But if no one were there , I"d still be out there !

nah somebody would have cleaned you up at the clean-up !!! :beerpint:

I hope that whoever was in the buggy is ok they are in our prayers. We were out there this weekend. We saw Mercy Air flying around and then we saw a green rhino carrying rescue personell in his rhino back towards comp hill. It was an unfortunate accident and I am sure that the rescue personell were doing the best that they could under the circumstances. We all go out there knowing there is a risk involved with this sport but, if you love it you, you are willing to take the risk.

I think the rescue rhino does do its job.. It might not be the FASTEST thing out there.. But with a smart driver it can move 1 driver 1 injured and 1 ems crew anywhere in the dunes and do it safely just not the fastest.. Could we use something with a bit more room and power yes.. will we get it more than likely not. So we have to learn to live with what we have and make the best of it and know that this is an off road sport that we enjoy and we happen to do it literally in the middle of no where in a desolate place. It is a risk everyone takes when we go to the dunes..

:( Hope the injured party heals quickly. Glad there is help though with the camp host and Rhino. Didn't look like a panic situation in the video though. Sometimes they take precautions and move a victim slowly so it doesn't cause more damage. One of my friends was life flighted out of Glamis for a possible broken neck to Yuma- he ended up going home late that evening and with a slight fractured vertabrea. :)

I wasn't there to see this one - so not sure how bad of an outcome.

We hope as duners all get well soon.

DVD-OR-TMT.gif

i cant help but noticing this fact here......a few people, with more years @ dumont than I am old, have chimed in and said that the EMT services @ dumont are limited.....resouces were not available last year when the CA budget was is full swing....a boom...... And with the CA budget in the crapper...the EMT situation isnt going to get any better any time soon..

And nicely, these people have told you this yfzdad. Still, you choose to ding them. the people you are referring too cannot solely do anything about the situation you have complained about. I feel it would be better to steer your agressions toward your elected officials and quite possibly the BLM.. You might get somethng more out of it than possibly having some of Dumont's finest people at odds with you because of this situation.

just an observation, and not attempting to pizz anyone off.

I like toast

Wow, I actually agree with you this time! :beerpint::think:

Hey watch how loud you say that :boyyy: , both our reputations could be damaged!! :laughing:

I think Don's Rhino is probably a little more agile and can go some places a full size truck can go though. :assblast:

I agree a Rhino is better then a shovel (to burry the person) but I cant help but feel those things tend to look more like a :laughing: on the big steep hills when they are weighed down!! :flatbiller:

But if no one were there , I"d still be out there !

nah somebody would have cleaned you up at the clean-up !!! :assblast:

How many raffle tickets do you get for a find like this?? :slap:

Would you rather have had Nothing out there to transport the victim... Something is better than nothing especially in dumont!!

AGREED!! I would rather have my head sticking out one end and my feet out the other (sounds like just about anything I ride in :D )

then to be left out there like Dan would have been... :dope:

Justin, just a heads up on that orange rail. Remember when Judy flipped and dislocated her shoulder??<it was Tday weekend '06> It is not used for transport. They (along with a couple 911 quads) arrived on scene and had her strapped into that stretcher AWAITING transport via a p/u truck. IF I remember correctly, someone had mentioned that that rail couldn't make it up comp to do a rescue. Someone in a 4x4 (or maybe it was a different rail) helped transport that victim down. :lol:

I do agree, however, that SOMEthing dunable should be available at all times!! The most logical staging area would be the hosts' camp.

post-1889-1205197168_thumb.gif I truly hope all is well with the accident victims. Nothing like seeing that chopper to make your heart sink. :(

Justin, just a heads up on that orange rail. Remember when Judy flipped and dislocated her shoulder??<it was Tday weekend '06> It is not used for transport.

Thats retarded...So its a fancy stretcher delivery vehicle?? :lol:

Thats retarded...So its a fancy stretcher delivery vehicle?? :lol:

I guess so!! That's what we were told by the medics. We had to wait for transportation.....they were backed up (holiday weekend ya know) transporting a broken femur to the ranger station. Judy rode in the same ambulance to Vegas with that guy!!

But like you said, "scary" being transported on a stretcher strapped to the top of a rail!!

Maybe with everyone complaining about the situation, someone can step up and get some money going for a medic rail out there. Hell, there are definately enough people out there on a busy weekend with money to donate. I dont quite get how they cant afford it though, with $40/vehicle on a holiday weekend and tons of vehicles out there, some money mismanagement has to be going on somewhere.

Maybe with everyone complaining about the situation, someone can step up and get some money going for a medic rail out there. Hell, there are definately enough people out there on a busy weekend with money to donate. I dont quite get how they cant afford it though, with $40/vehicle on a holiday weekend and tons of vehicles out there, some money mismanagement has to be going on somewhere.

Kyle the pass money goes to maintaining dumont in its current state.. With the loss of State funding they are doing everything they can to maintain and stay within their budget.. I dont forsee a new 60k buggy anytime soon. Especially if the state keeps yanking the funding away.