Sad Day at Dumont today

Free Agent

Lets try this, consider the place remote, like hard to get to. kinda like an island...you mess up you die..

dont treat it like Disneyland where someone will be by shortly to wisk you off to Mickey's hospital. Slow down, dont ride on over crowded weekends, stay away from comp when its a zoo, dont speed across the flats, stop drinking and riding, did I mention slow down? dont do a wheelie across comp with a crowd in front of you, when it gets dark or sand storm comes in go slowly back to camp and sit it out. You may just live....

we dont need more services we need more brains...o.k. I'm done....lol :lol:

Lets try this, consider the place remote, like hard to get to. kinda like an island...you mess up you die..

dont treat it like Disneyland where someone will be by shortly to wisk you off to Mickey's hospital. Slow down, dont ride on over crowded weekends, stay away from comp when its a zoo, dont speed across the flats, stop drinking and riding, did I mention slow down? dont do a wheelie across comp with a crowd in front of you, when it gets dark or sand storm comes in go slowly back to camp and sit it out. You may just live....

we dont need more services we need more brains...o.k. I'm done....lol :laughing:

:laughing: I absolutely agree, BUT accidents do happen no matter how safe you are, no matter how many precautions you take, no matter how many years experience you have. I guess that is the risk we all take though in this sport/hobby. Its just another reason to dune in packs. The more friends and fellow duners around you, the more prepared you are and more resources you have in case of emergency to get you to the medical personel that can help you (ie: ambulance, helicopter, etc). Like you said, you are in a REMOTE area and that in itself makes it extremely difficult for crews to get to where you are.

I think it is great that Don (camp host) volunteers his services and devotes his time to helping out duners in situations like this. :bawl:

thanks Ma Facka!!! :laughing:

Fo SHIZZLE my NIZZLE!! :bawl:

I think it is great that Don (camp host) volunteers his services and devotes his time to helping out duners in situations like this. :mc_smiley:

:laughing:

When I ride by myself I try to ride as fast as I can that way if I crash, by the time I stop tumbling, someone is BOUND to see me!! :D

Edited by Sand Saw

The reason I posted this was a ranger felt horrible that they were so under prepaired to deal with dune accidents.

He asked not to be identified, and I deleted his scene from the video.

But the Rangers were beside themselves that they had so little to work with.

In an accident, the first hour is the most critical. Getting the injured to the hospital with competant medical care is vital,,, in the first hour.

This won't happen the way it's set up now.

Merely a dune capable vehicle that can get rescuers to the scene, and evacuate usually several severly injured people quickly is essential.

The old timer campground host is a teriffic guy,, not knocking him,, his Rhino is good for organization and marshalling/directing the authorities, but I think a more dune capable emergency vehicle can be afforded with the money that is generated.

Merely suggesting better tools to work with.

When the rangers respond, they can simply drive a crewcab with some equipment, and a driveline than can traverse the dunes and get the injured out in that critical hour.

Forget the Tijuana abortion hospital in Parump,, ya gotta get the injured to a real hospital trauma center in LV and fast.

Edited by yfzdad

I was camped pretty much walking distance frm the camp host. When I saw the helicopter, our group started looking around, and saw the crew going off in the rhino. Another duner, said, the driver was already back in a camp, (theirs I thnk) with a gash to his head. A women reportedly in the back of a rail, (pregnant) was still out in the dunes with what was supposedly a back problem, most likely a compression break.

The ideas od a cheap 4x4 are great but in real life there is liability. And in real life no goverment agency buys used because of the possibility of improper use of money. (like buying an older 4x4 frm a brother in law for 4 times its real value)

I think its odd, that I was easily with in seeing distance of the camp host though, with plenty of equipment to get anywhere, and remove anythng, yet no one came over to me to let me know. My rail has a 144 inch wheel base, seats 4, and could carry as much equipment as they brought at the same time. My sami could easily get them to the scene. If the women was still in the rail, I could remove the rail with her in it, then remove her in a better location if need be. Obviously immobilization is paramount in any dune accident. But then there is LIABILITY, everyone has that little voice in there head, will I get sued?

Maybe the should inform everyone of good simaritan laws when entering? No body even asked or told me till much later, but it seems that having the knowledge could developed into a much faster solution.

I d bet money the reason for her spine problem is improper belt mounting TOO.

Hey watch how loud you say that :whoop: , both our reputations could be damaged!! :laughing:

Too late. :laughing:

The ideas od a cheap 4x4 are great but in real life there is liability. And in real life no goverment agency buys used because of the possibility of improper use of money. (like buying an older 4x4 frm a brother in law for 4 times its real value)

Very good point.

Back in the 70's when we rode the desert we always kept one thought in the back of our minds: "We are ?? minutes from any medical care. Be careful, and never ride alone." My dad is a good example of that. He ate it on an old Hodaka and broke his leg in four places with 3rd degree burns all over. He eventually got to medical care many hours later.....but 25 years later.....gang green set in and killed him.

I never rode Dumont back then........can anyone tell me if there was any medical personnel available back then? I really feel people are expecting too much sometimes, ,and can't be happy with something is better than nothing. :mc_smiley: In this sport I think it is foolish to depend on anyone outside of your group. If there is medical care available.....BONUS. :bawl:

Too late. :laughing:

Very good point.

him.

I never rode Dumont back then........can anyone tell me if there was any medical personnel available back then? I really feel people are expecting too much sometimes, ,and can't be happy with something is better than nothing. :bawl: In this sport I think it is foolish to depend on anyone outside of your group. If there is medical care available.....BONUS. :laughing:

I understand your point, but they werent charging us Fees back then either.

We've paid well over $200 in fees this year alone - only good at Dumont, in addition to seperate fees at Glamis.

I understand your point, but they werent charging us Fees back then either.

We've paid well over $200 in fees this year alone - only good at Dumont, in addition to seperate fees at Glamis.

you should have looked into a pass...for only 120 bucks, including holiday weekends, you could have gone all year.

BTW...i fully agree with you that paying to access PUBLIC LANDS is total BS

Again...the best outlet for that is...........................your elected officals..local, state, and federal

on edit....come to think of it...didnt the USA just give AFRICA 18 BILLION DOLLARS to help fight AIDS??? hmmmmmmm :bs:

Edited by richard cheese

I have to say something is better than nothing. I remember going to Dumont when you got hurt you drove to Barstow or Vegas. At the very least now there is someone out there to provide basic medical attention in a rhino or buggy. Like alot of people say its better than nothing. We all take the risk of having fun. In closing

WATCH OUT FOR THE OTHER GUY!!!!!!!

....and the weekly passes purchased prior were applied to the final price.

Yep, I actually only wanted the regular season but I had $100 in credit, so rather then loose the $10 I gave them the difference for the Holiday pass... :D

• 1 month later...

A friend of mine just showed me this thread, saying he saw a video of the Rhino we built for Don and Ellen. I was surprised a few people were bashing it. :laughoff:

I would just like to say, this is Don's personal machine. He bought it and paid for it out of his own money and uses it for the good of the duners he has to haul out when no one else is around. On Most days he is using it to clean the crapers, something most people take for granted.

On the off weekends there is no one around as far as EMS goes; usually you have only one ranger for a hundred miles. During these times a rescue (Read Ambulance) shows up from Baker Ca.

One of our friends who died out there, his wife was waiting for 5 or 6 hours for someone "official" to show up. This unfortunately was after Don left at the end of the season.

Don came to me and asked us to build him something that he could deliver and transport patients out at Dumont, especially during the off holidays weekends and during the week when the Calvary is nowhere to be found.

Having transported a few patients myself in my rhino we decided to use our limited resources to build him one at no charge.

We designed it to carry a patient securely and at low speeds. Running rescue for more than 20 years, the only time we go code with a patient if CPR is in progress or if the patient is critical. If the patient has a suspected spine injury, we don’t go haul’n a$$ down Rancho to the Trauma Center.

The Rhino will go most anywhere; if it won't go straight up the steepest dunes you go around and come down to the patient.

Don has transported a lot of EMS personnel and patients at the dunes and he received none of the entrance fees for doing it.

If you’re against taking a ride in the Rhino if you’re injured, pass it up and take the next bus that comes along. For me I'm thankful he was willing to take this on and I think the people he has helped would agree. :6pak:

Don't count on the Rhino anymore this season, Don and Ellen are leaving today (21st) and won't be back till October. And heres a thought for anyone hesitant on a Rhino ride out, lets put a stretcher sideways on the back of Randogs car and tell him to drive back in his usual "normal" manner, lol, the physical injuries from your crash will heal but you might need a extended prescription for Prozac after the Dr. Dog Lunatic Limo service.

Don't count on the Rhino anymore this season, Don and Ellen are leaving today (21st) and won't be back till October. And heres a thought for anyone hesitant on a Rhino ride out, lets put a stretcher sideways on the back of Randogs car and tell him to drive back in his usual "normal" manner, lol, the physical injuries from your crash will heal but you might need a extended prescription for Prozac after the Dr. Dog Lunatic Limo service.

Yeah in his "normal" manner :whoop: :beer_bang: :beer_bang: :no_no: :bawl::thumb::ninja::assblast::assblast::assblast::whoop: