Another Trip Report from 4/2-4/7

DIRTADDICT

My family and our best friends family always camp together. We have been doing G for over a decade. I recently went to Dumont for the first time with a few guys from my shop. I reported to my family how fun the place really is. We had always thought that if we wanted to dune, Glamis was the ONLY place. So for our last trip of the season we opted to take both our families to Dumont this year. Considering the temps at G, the diesel fuel prices, and that it is 2 hours closer, we headed for Dumont Wednesday after work.

The wind was kicken pretty good Wed night as we pulled into the Velero on Baker Rd. Fuel, Ice, and a quick DQ treat and we were ready. We didn't want to pull in in the dark so we slept behind The Mad Greek.

After breakfast at Bob's we were off to Dumont. We stayed way right by the first little finger that goes up onto a pile of rocks about 40 feet high. The weather was really wierd. It was hot for two days, then cool, then wind would come and go from what seemed like all directions depending on the hour.

No tracks the entire first day. Then Friday it got a little tracked but the winds into the night cleaned em up again!. I love that. We played a ton of cards, UNO, and watched movies at night. Only able to have a fire one night cause it was just too windy for us. Got to check out the movie stuff going on.

For the last few years we have had a tough time with "other campers". Not that we are anti-social. But it just seems like that no matter where we decide to camp a group of people show up near with kids that ride with no helmets, or ride right through our camp, or just want to pop wheelies all day 2 feet off my camper's back door with their dad's Bombardier 650 with no muffler? We used to say stuff but everytime the parents get really defensive and we always end up being the bad guys. So now, unless it is a real safety issue, we just let it slide.

During this trip we decided that we all officially like Dumont too. We are going to make our first and last trips at Dumont for sure. And in between when we have time and enough money, hit Glamis also. It gives us two more trips a year.

My youngest (6 years old) is on her 3rd season of riding her 40cc quad. I love the time I get to spend with her. I spend a lot of time training and training my kids the right and wrong way to aproach riding ATV's. I make them ride tracks that I set up in camp for the first few years as they are really young. Then I start taking them on small ride with just me. I teach them to follow right in my tracks. This way when we go on family rides they all follow suit with the leader and no one gets into trouble. The pic here of my little girl was during our ride. I took her all the way up to the right of the camping area.

I was also able to take my FORD out into the dunes. With a John Woods custom 5 stage tune, my QSB WOP Turbo, and my John Woods built race tranny, 456's, 35" Toyo M/T's at 15psi, it did awesome!. I was able to go all the way to the very top of some of the big dunes between Comp hill and the North Pole. I made it 3/4 of the way up comp. But the axle wrap was just getting too bad so I had to ditch. Really makes me want a car.

It's too bad that the season is over for us. I am just way too busy during the summer months. But I sure can't wait till next year.

Peace, -=DA

Dumonth4-08-6.jpg

Dumonth4-08-5.jpg

Dumont4-08-8.jpg

Dumont4-08-7.jpg

Dumont4-08-04.jpg

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/fact...umont4-08-3.flv

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/fact...umont4-08-2.flv

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/fact...umont4-08-1.flv

Very cool. Glad you had a great trip. I kinda thought like you except about Dumont being the ONLY place to ride until I went to GLAMIS. They are both such great places and have their own strong points. I love em both though and plan to do the same as you and mix it up a lil bit next season. :poop_hittin_the_fan:

That weather was indeed wierd. One minute it was calm, then it was all crazy windy for a short while like Fri night. :bawl:

Glad you guys enjoyed your trip.

If you havn't noticed yet, you'll soon find out that Dumont people are much more considerate to other duners than compared at Glamis.

Big weekends are sometimes a different story though. :laughoff:

Welcome to the site. :laughoff:

Yeah Dumont is alot of fun for the family. I great place to teach the little ones how to dune up some bigger dunes. Its a different story during the holiday weekends. The only complaint i have about that place is that it does tend to get windy and if you boy does it get cold in the winter. Try the baby dunes next time if you have alot of lil ones going.

That's cool. I made it over 1/2 way my first few attempts. I coulda kept going but the axle wrap was just getting too violent.

Welcome to DDR Gino. :ninja:

Regarding the axle wrap, Have you considered ladder bars?

They really helped my truck out just towing. :idiot:

Hope you enjoy the site. :surrender: :rolleyes:

R-

Our group has a lot of little ones who ride and we camp at the little dunes mostly... My 2 yr old son, 4 yr old daughter and I play follow the leader in the untracked little dunes all the time... typically no crowds at all. I don't mind the sacrafice for the kids. It just takes an extra 5 minutes to ride over to the big dunes anyway for some Big Boy fun. Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself... see you next year. :laughing:

Welcome to DDR Gino. :laughing:

Regarding the axle wrap, Have you considered ladder bars?

That made a HUGE differance in my truck. It helped in the sand, dirt and just all around driving. The rear end of the truck is solid now.