How many paddles

nidan450

Hey, I'm looking for some advice on paddles for an 05 trx450. I'm curently am running the sand skat II's with douglass wheels. I have added more power since I bought these and at this point I need more traction. I think I want to get the 21" skat-trak extremes. The question I have is how may paddles to run? What do you guys think?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you should be able to get away with the haulers with the 450......btw....what upgrades have you done?

the size seems right.....are a hillshooter? or just duning it with an occasional run up the hill?

the haulers are a little lighter than the extremes........but the extremes are a nice paddle...ive had them on my quad for about 3 years now and no issues

you should be able to get away with the haulers with the 450......btw....what upgrades have you done?

the size seems right.....are a hillshooter? or just duning it with an occasional run up the hill?

the haulers are a little lighter than the extremes........but the extremes are a nice paddle...ive had them on my quad for about 3 years now and no issues

I have a DASA full exhaust, R&D filter without the airbox lid, Hot Cam stage 2, HRC needle 3rd clip, 185 main jet, stock suspension.

I only run up the occaisionally but would do it more if I could get up there a little quicker. I think the tires and a swingarm would help that.

I have heard that the haulers are more prone to puncture because they are thnner than the extremes.

I wouldn't go with haulers or any of the skat trax paddles. I ran them for years and I kept throwing paddles. The problem is that because they are vulcanized onto the tire carcass, they tend to come "unglued" when you hit a rock or hard pack. They do good out at Glamis for the most part but there are just too many rocks at Dumont. You'll be buying new tires a lot.

Sand Skates are good as I'm sure you know. I run Sand Stars. Stay away from the vulcanized paddles.

For a good reference point, take a look at your paddles or anyone elses that has a few trips on them. You'll see how some of the paddles are cracked or torn. Every one of those would be a new tire if your running skats

you won't rip extremes !

and you can have kevlar put into any skat tire [bullit proof]

Anybody want to donate a set for 1 day for a tire durability test. I've never run the Extremes but I have gone thru about 8 haulers. I know that between sand skates, sand stars and the skat trax the vulcanized paddle will be destroyed especially with the rocks and hard pack out at Dumont.

All sand tires tear paddles but I've only had the vulcanized ones actually lose all air pressure from a tear (usually at the outer edge corner of the paddle where it comes apart)

Don't get me wrong, Skat Trax makes a good tire. Light weight and great hookup. If your running in sand with no rocks or hard pack they last. If your running a hill shooter, perfect. If you want to dune and make it from camp to the dunes without tossing a paddle, get used to 1st and second gear until your actually in pure sand.

I would go with a 6 cup extreme. 20x10-8. I had those on my trx and it was only a little more built than yours. I never lost a paddle or got a flat....

I have an 06 with a grip of power and I have had the best luck with the new Sand Star v type paddle mounted on 9in rears as far as all around dunning. I also run the same combo on my built ltz and they work great. As far as hill shootin I could not tell you.

I have an 06 with a grip of power and I have had the best luck with the new Sand Star v type paddle mounted on 9in rears as far as all around dunning. I also run the same combo on my built ltz and they work great. As far as hill shootin I could not tell you.

FYI I run the rears on my trx at 3.5 lbs on beadlocks and have never lost or torn a paddle, I have riden with Wingnut, he an attest not ever a tire problem

I have 2 sets of extremes. had em for about 3 years. never had a paddle come off or lost a bead. i'd get a set of 21/12/8 6 paddle. got mine from fulerton sandsports. $250 a set on douglas .120's. ordered mine about 9 am one day, were at my house the next day. Call them up. tell them what mods u have, they'll set u up with the right tire/wheel combo

I have 2 sets of extremes. had em for about 3 years. never had a paddle come off or lost a bead. i'd get a set of 21/12/8 6 paddle. got mine from fulerton sandsports. $250 a set on douglas .120's. ordered mine about 9 am one day, were at my house the next day. Call them up. tell them what mods u have, they'll set u up with the right tire/wheel combo

FYI You can also call Duke at the Quadshop he has done the same thing for me, order one day at your house the next, he is located in Vegas if you live here. 702 340 5433

three years on the same extremes, 100wh banshee. still look like new. don't ride on the rocks.

if you want a performance tire, purchase skat-trak tires, or STU padla brat. the skat-trak tire will be more durable. if you want a heavy tire that's decent, purchase sandstars. do not choose any other tire.

you cannot go wrong with the skat traks, i have never had a problem with them, everyone here agrees (except one) depending on your weight/hp will determine your amount of paddles. from what I see you have done you should go with a 7 paddle. sand stars are only good if your not going to be racing...

three years on the same extremes, 100wh banshee. still look like new. don't ride on the rocks.

if you want a performance tire, purchase skat-trak tires, or STU padla brat. the skat-trak tire will be more durable. if you want a heavy tire that's decent, purchase sandstars. do not choose any other tire.

What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:blink:

dont do that

listen to this

ive got a trx 450 with paddle brats on the front and razor backs on the front

with only the paddles i beat a built banshee up the hill every time

7 paddles is too much...the motor needs to rev up and with that many paddles it causes resistance

alot of these people are givin u the names of paddles that weigh 20 lbs EACH

cmon man...dont u think thats a little to much weight

the paddle brats are 7 lbs...i can lift it with my pinky

the razor backs are 6 lbs

when u get goin the tires just LIGHT UP

we got 6 paddles and everyones wonderin wut we got in the motor...its all the paddles

before we bought em we did a bunch of research and looked at all of the tests

these were by far the best for the dunes

they are comp gooved so dont go over any rocks

http://www.sandtiresunlimited.com/sandtire1.html#brat

check it out

its just the regular padla brat and the razor back underneath it

they also slide farely well and grip like crazy

i could cruise up the steep side of comp hill

ive never gotten stuck with those on my bike

Edited by motoxman30

dont do that

listen to this

ive got a trx 450 with paddle brats on the front and razor backs on the front

with only the paddles i beat a built banshee up the hill every time

7 paddles is too much...the motor needs to rev up and with that many paddles it causes resistance

alot of these people are givin u the names of paddles that weigh 20 lbs EACH

cmon man...dont u think thats a little to much weight

the paddle brats are 7 lbs...i can lift it with my pinky

the razor backs are 6 lbs

when u get goin the tires just LIGHT UP

we got 6 paddles and everyones wonderin wut we got in the motor...its all the paddles

before we bought em we did a bunch of research and looked at all of the tests

these were by far the best for the dunes

they are comp gooved so dont go over any rocks

http://www.sandtiresunlimited.com/sandtire1.html#brat

check it out

its just the regular padla brat and the razor back underneath it

they also slide farely well and grip like crazy

i could cruise up the steep side of comp hill

ive never gotten stuck with those on my bike

IF HE WANTED A hill shooter tire , WE WOULD GUIDE HIM THAT WAY !! :blink:

IF HE WANTED A hill shooter tire , WE WOULD GUIDE HIM THAT WAY !! :blink:

HILLSHOOTER???

i thought hillshooters were those small tires they put on the stroker banshees

these are dunin tires

dirt wheels did a review on it and said that these were the best tires for any 450

hill shooters dont have razors as the front tires

theyve got 3 things i love about em

they slide...makin cornering easier

they get good grip while ridin a ridge or goin up to the top of comp...every paddle grabs

and they roost like crazy on the turns

a six paddle would not work on a hill shooter...it needs like 9 paddles

but for a regular trx a 6 paddle does wonders

and an 05 trx is exactly what we got

if uve never tried em then dont talk

i have never seen anyone out there with these tires...they all are shootin for whos got the most paddles

if the season wasnt over id come up there and let u ride it so that u could feel the difference

Edited by motoxman30

HILLSHOOTER???

i thought hillshooters were those small tires they put on the stroker banshees

these are dunin tires

dirt wheels did a review on it and said that these were the best tires for any 450

hill shooters dont have razors as the front tires

theyve got 3 things i love about em

they slide...makin cornering easier

they get good grip while ridin a ridge or goin up to the top of comp...every paddle grabs

and they roost like crazy on the turns

a six paddle would not work on a hill shooter...it needs like 9 paddles

but for a regular trx a 6 paddle does wonders

and an 05 trx is exactly what we got

if uve never tried em then dont talk

i have never seen anyone out there with these tires...they all are shootin for whos got the most paddles

if the season wasnt over id come up there and let u ride it so that u could feel the difference

Hill tires depend on motor size and set up , but with a 450 , you would still only do a 6-7 paddle [ stop with the Dirt wheels ] they push who ever pays ! If Iv'e never tried them "don't talk " lol I'm 44 years old and own my own ATV shop , I think I probably know ...

Hill tires depend on motor size and set up , but with a 450 , you would still only do a 6-7 paddle [ stop with the Dirt wheels ] they push who ever pays ! If Iv'e never tried them "don't talk " lol I'm 44 years old and own my own ATV shop , I think I probably know ...

then dude...throw em on...u may have em in ur shop but that doesnt mean uve tried em...wut r u gonna do...take the tires out...o i dont like em let me clean em up and put em back on the shelf...and ur age doesnt matter either...they havent been out for too long...i dont see em in the shops either

u have to try out every tire...and if u say dirt wheels gets payed to lie about a tire...well then they actually got this one right...theres also other reviews...but these were done about a year after the yfz came out so the tires may have upgraded.

my uncles got some sand geckos on one of his yfzs and some other paddles with the rough edges on his other yfz.

i rode both of em....the tires were just diggin in and the slide on em sucked.

the one thing i liked about the sand geckos is that the roost on em was the best ive seen but it would tip over before it would slide.

dont take my word and dont take anybodys word

learn from experience not product price or what it says on the label

if u ever get some into ur shop...take em out and let it down to 3 lbs

u cant enjoy em by just lookin at em

then dude...throw em on...u may have em in ur shop but that doesnt mean uve tried em...wut r u gonna do...take the tires out...o i dont like em let me clean em up and put em back on the shelf...and ur age doesnt matter either...they havent been out for too long...i dont see em in the shops either

u have to try out every tire...and if u say dirt wheels gets payed to lie about a tire...well then they actually got this one right...theres also other reviews...but these were done about a year after the yfz came out so the tires may have upgraded.

my uncles got some sand geckos on one of his yfzs and some other paddles with the rough edges on his other yfz.

i rode both of em....the tires were just diggin in and the slide on em sucked.

the one thing i liked about the sand geckos is that the roost on em was the best ive seen but it would tip over before it would slide.

dont take my word and dont take anybodys word

learn from experience not product price or what it says on the label

if u ever get some into ur shop...take em out and let it down to 3 lbs

u cant enjoy em by just lookin at em

Wow, this seems very important to you. Maybe since it is the off season you should start gathering together paddle tires. Then you can do your own research and shootout. Gather all your data and results. Then, you can post your findings here. I figure this should keep you busy for a while. We'll see you back here in October!!!!!! Happy testing!!!!