An argument for street legal UTV's in Nevada

SandBlasted

I'm looking for input and photos of your street legl UTV. If you are from AZ and have any photos I can you please send them to me.

I'm writing my rep here in Nevada I thought I'd share this for input before I send it.

Dear Assemblyman Hardy.

I’m writing you today to ask that we come up with a way where we can license through the state the UTV’s. Arizona allows this and it is a big business in AZ.

Every time tourism slows the state goes into panic mode as revenues plummet. More about that later…

I have a Yamaha Rhino here at our shop in Boulder City and it’s getting everything installed to be licensed in Arizona with legal ties to Arizona. We are adding a horn, turn signals everything needed to make it street legal in Arizona. (All necessary components needed for it to be licensed as a motorcycle in AZ) Arizona licenses the UTV’s as Motorcycles.

Our Rhino will also meet the Nevada equipment requirements necessary for a motorcycle or a trike. (3 Wheeler)

If I were to remove one wheel from the rhino and put the single wheel in the center front or rear, Nevada would have to register the Rhino as a trike. In California one enterprising person designed a single rear wheel on his Raptor 660 and the state of California licensed it as a trike. (Photo Enclosed)

Nevada does allow 4 wheeled motorcycles on the road. There is a kit that is legal that is basically training wheels for motorcycles. I’ve seen many on the road in Nevada (photo enclosed) this kit makes the motorcycle have 4 wheels on the ground. This is a kit where you can take it off and on at will. ( http://www.mtcvoyager.com/ )

Motorcycles sold as dirt bikes that are not street legal, can be modified with an aftermarket kit that converts them into a dual sport motorcycle. This is then licensed by the state of Nevada for street use. Whenever gas cost start climbing the popularity of these kits goes up.

Many owners thru out the state of Nevada would like to register these UTV’s. With that brings a whole new industry to Nevada in the form of making these vehicles street legal. This could be a new revenue to the state in the form of registration fees. Sales tax revenue would increase from people spending thousands of dollars to customize the UTV’s

The average person with a Rhino spends about 1,000.00 to 3,000 in aftermarket parts just for the dirt. In Arizona where the UTV’s are street legal, owners will spend far more. He wants his UTV to stand out from the crowd like a Harley owner does, spending 1000’s in the process. Most of that money is now being spent in California and Arizona the main manufacturing centers for custom UTV parts and accessories. These parts are being purchased in other states and Nevada is not getting the sales tax revenue due to the sales being placed on line out of state.

We have had customers purchase 8,000.00 to over 11,000.00 in aftermarket parts for these UTV’s on a single invoice. I’m not writing asking for this because I want to sell more products, I already send hundreds of thousands of dollars per year of parts and accessories out of the state. I’m asking this because we want it. Young and old, people across the state want this to enjoy the lands in Nevada. I hear from more older Nevadans on this subject than anyone other age group.

Currently many people including myself, seldom ride in Nevada. We ride in California, Utah and Arizona. This is tourism dollars that will never be spent in Nevada but dollars that go to other states that are UTV friendly. States like Utah where all the small towns along the 270 mile loop that encompasses HWY 89, where you can ride your UTV into town and get fuel and supplies, stay in a motel for the night, get repairs and then head back out to the trail for more adventure. It is a shame we only seem to promote the mighty gambling dollar.

The federal government claims ownership of most of the land in Nevada. Miles and miles of roads are closed to our vehicles simply because it is not street legal. People can take a street legal dirt bike, a street legal dune buggy, car, truck, jeep or SUV and ride on these roads, but in Nevada we are excluded simply because we are not street legal.

We cannot take our UTV into the national park service and admire the lake from the designated roads accessed from Boulder City, simply because we are not street legal however cross the dam into Arizona and have a Arizona street legal UTV and you are allowed. We are not allowed to drive down to the river on the Nevada side on a designated dirt road for the same reason.

We have heard from the nay says talk about safety and frankly most of these people are just against anything new. With the current laws which allow so many like vehicles to be registered, there is not legitimate reason these should not be allowed on the streets. UTV are designed safer than the new Neighborhood Vehicles on the road today. Include safety cages that will help protect better than the major three wheel manufactures made in the country and the plastic found on the Neighborhood Vehicles.

Arguments like all ATVs will be on the roads is false if laws are written correctly. A UTV is not an ATV. It is separate and in my opinion can be distinguished in law.

If you would like to see an example of a Arizona street legal Rhino please come by our shop in Boulder City.

Photos Enclosed:

Several UTV Examples

The 4 wheel motorcycle conversion kit, Street legal in Nevada

The California street legal Raptor 660

The new Can-AM street Legal 3 wheeler being sold in Henderson.

The GEM car, street legal.

Respectfully yours,

Craig Castleberry

895 Shirley Ln

Bouder City, NV 8905

eXtreme Outdoor Products ( www.xopco.com )

728 Canyon Rd

Boulder City, NV 89005

702-987-0202

Edited by SandBlasted

i'm behind u on this too. i would love to park my diesel and drive my rhino to work. saves fuel.also would like to go on the trails and roads u mentioned in ur letter. keep me posted on this, cause i am starting to look into legalizing my rhino. from the dmv stand point is its a kit car,and i would have to go about that way. still checking though.

i'm behind u on this too. i would love to park my diesel and drive my rhino to work. saves fuel.also would like to go on the trails and roads u mentioned in ur letter. keep me posted on this, cause i am starting to look into legalizing my rhino. from the dmv stand point is its a kit car,and i would have to go about that way. still checking though.

We have tried that. See there are a bunch of conflicts that are in play here. Federal law says if it goes more than 25 MPH it is a motor vehicle. It is subject to all the laws regarding a car or truck.

If we try and register it as a slow moving vehicle, it has to be built to federal standards for the Low speed neighborhood vehicles. The DMV says it can't be homemade or a refitted golf cart and has to be built to specific federal vehicle standards by licensed manufacturers.

The only thing special it has to have is a windshield that meets the ANSI Z26.1–1996 requirements that GE Lexan meets and a top speed of 25MPH that the programmable CDI’s (Made for the Rhino’s.) that are made by Dynatek The normal stuff like seat belts and turn signals ar also required but from wht I’m reading don’t need to be the federal standard that autos must meet. A programmable CDI will be available for the Teryx as well in the future and we don't know what the RZR CDI will be yet.

Arizona licenses them as a motorcycles. When Nevada DMV runs a Rhino VIN, it comes up as a motorcycle.

The best case is to get these recognized as a motorcycle. Since there are 4 wheel motorcycles on the road with the Voyager kits, IMO it is possible to do.

The other is finding out a way for a licensed manufacture to install a windshield that meets the standards and get DMV to recognize it or better yet, get Nevada to allow an owner to install a windshield that meets the fed requirements.

What we need is a campaign writing to our reps and getting the law changed.

We have our Rhino licensed with the DMV as a golf cart. When we put them on the street in Boulder City, the city and DMV came up with a law or rule that they can only operate in areas designated as a golf cart community.

No one can actually find that law, except it is now on the DMV’s web site under the golf cart registration info. This was added after we registered them.

I was ticketed and while I got out of it, I was told that certain officers would ticket me every time they saw me on the road.

Edited by SandBlasted

I've been reseaching the NRS law and federal law of the low speed vechicles.

Someone at the DMV is just making up stuff...

On The DMV Web site it states:

"Low speed vehicles (LSV) are small, four-wheeled vehicles that are built to specific federal vehicle standards by licensed manufacturers. Homemade vehicles and retrofitted golf carts do not qualify. Dealers and other businesses in the industry must be licensed by the DMV."

The Nevada Law Reads

NRS 484.527 “Low-speed vehicle” defined; highways upon which low-speed vehicles may be operated; exception.

1. As used in this section, “low-speed vehicle” means a motor vehicle:

(a) Designed to carry not more than four persons;

(B) Designed to operate at a maximum speed of at least 20 but not more than 25 miles per hour;

© Having at least four wheels in contact with the ground;

(d) Having an unladen weight of less than 1,800 pounds; and

(e) Complying with the standards for safety of such a vehicle set forth in Federal Motor Safety Standard No. 500 at 49 C.F.R. § 571.500.

2. If registered, a low-speed vehicle may be operated upon a highway where the posted speed limit is 35 miles per hour or less. A person shall not operate a low-speed vehicle upon a highway where the posted speed limit is greater than 35 miles per hour, except to cross such a highway at an intersection.

CLICK for the CFR on LSV's

Edited by SandBlasted

I had a conversation with Senator Warren Hardy. Senator Hardy seemed all for the UTV's on the streets. He owns 6 ATV's and is a avid rider.

He was right on board with the fact that Nevada is missing the boat when it comes to places like Utah and Arizona who allow them on the road.

I told him what was going on at the DMV, told him that the DMV stated to me today (supervisor) that even if we met all the requirements for the LSV's we will not register it.

The DMV is using laws from all over the books to stop us from registering them.

He is looking at all the material and sending it to the legal team to see what law needs to be changed to allow them.

I told him I don't beleive any law needs to be created, i think there are enough laws on the books to allow this, we just need the burecrats out of the way. To make a long story short, he is going to check and see if we need a new law or just kick DMV in the A$$.

I told Senator Hardy we read the laws and to police officers, some DMV officials and other reasonable people that look at the law, it is allowed. When you get to the nuts and bolts and try to get it done, burecrats start dragging laws from all over showing why you can't.

I told him is like trying to follow all the rules to make an ice cream cone for your kid and someone bomb shells you with a law that you have to have a heath permitt to do it.

The new legislature meets feb 9th 2009 If news laws need to be created, then we need everyone effort to ge this done.

The DMV’s arguments for not registering our Rhino as a LSV

It has to be made a LSV by the manufacture. It can’t be modified.

The DMV has a form for builders and rebuilders, RD-64, to meet state requirements. This form also includes Low Speed Vehicles.

We have a state licensed body shop willing to certify that our Rhino meets the requirements (When Completed) in state law NRS 485.320, and meets the Federal Rule 571.500. The Body Shop is getting me the windshield that conforms to the AS-4 Requirement

In the hearings of the Federal Rule, it was clear that they wanted the standards reduced so it was less costly for people to modify existing golf carts to meet LSV requirements.

Golf Carts and UTV’s are off-road vehicles and since the manufacture states its not for on road use, it can’t be registered.

Golf Carts being driven on roads in designated communities are not classified as on road vehicles but registered by the state for use on roads.

A dirt bike motorcycle can be converted to dual sport use and licensed by the DMV for on street use.

Several dune buggy’s with Volkswagen engines are remanufactured and are licensed in the state of Nevada.

The Rhino is a off road vehicle and can't be registered.

If we meet the standards set for NRS 485.320 and the Federal Rule 571.500 then it should be allowed to be licensed as a LSV.

The Rhino is an ATV and we don’t register ATV’s

An ATV is in different class than a UTV (Rhino, Mule, ETC.) An ATV has a saddle for a seat, and not built with seat belts.

The Manufacture of Rhino Mules Etc. call them a UTV. A UTV has a regular seat like a automobile, seats 2 people side by side and is made with seat belts and roll cages.

UTV’s are not address by state law.

It is apparent if you read the intent of the 571.500, it was intended that there be away that conversion be allowed and at a minimal cost. Most of the regulation is for commercial ventures and that regulation standard is lowered to make cost more reasonable.

We now have electronic speed controllers that limit the Rhino's ability to exceed 25 MPH

I’m willing to test this in front of DMV inspectors when the conversion is completed.

We should allow individuals to be able to convert their golf carts and other small 4 wheeled vehicles as long as they are inspected and meet state law and the federal rule requirements.

The City Of Palm Desert estimates that 16 tons of CO2 have been reduced per year because of the use of Golf Carts And LSV.

The federal Rule recognizes small 4 wheeled LSV's reduce emissions and lower CO2 even small gos powerd LSV's

Safety

The following table presents incidents for "golf carts" reported by CPSC's NEISS during the years 1993-1997:

NEISS REPORTED INCIDENTS

1993 - 1997

Type of Injury 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 5 year total

pedestrian injury 36 19 18 16 30 119

off-road injury 96 138 145 146 168 693

on-road injury 3 4 5 5 6 23

on-road fatality 1 0 0 0 0 1

rollover injury 4 4 8 4 7 27

ejection injury 26 17 14 11 12 94

total(21) 100 142 149 161 174 726

Based on the data in the above table, the agency has estimated the total national injuries associated with "golf carts" of all types and uses (i.e., on-road as well as on golf courses) to be 6,372, 6,808, 7,603, and 7,218 for the years 1993 through 1996.

I applaud your effort....but with the drivers in this town there is no effing way you will find me in a Rhino on the streets.

...and on the other hand.....with the drivers in this town I can see getting cut off by Rhino's being a problem.

Good luck.

I just got a CA plate for my golf cart. I went thru a 3rd person that does registering vehicles for you while you work. It cost me $109 to take it from unregistered to street legal. Now I can legally drive my daughter to school in it! The other kids are jealous.

It has to stay on city streets under 25mph posted speeds. Other than that it is wide open as to where I can take it in my neighborhood.

post-1872-1211474165_thumb.jpg

post-1872-1211558967_thumb.jpg

Edited by bp-guy

I just got a CA plate for my golf cart. I went thru a 3rd person that does registering vehicles for you while you work. It cost me $109 to take it from unregistered to street legal. Now I can legally drive my daughter to school in it! The other kids are jealous.

It has to stay on city streets under 25mph posted speeds. Other than that it is wide open as to where I can take it in my neighborhood.

i wonder if that would be possible for a mog..

thats the first question i always get asked when someone comes in the shop...i think we need a DMV friend.

Do not try to bring your fully insured, licensed az rhino to nevada either. They will pile on as many tickets as possible.... Now If i could stop scraping my plate while doing wheelies in the rhino.

Do not try to bring your fully insured, licensed az rhino to nevada either. They will pile on as many tickets as possible.... Now If i could stop scraping my plate while doing wheelies in the rhino.

Did you try that?

What was the reason they gave for not allowing it?

Our Police Chief (Boulder City) is on video at one of the city meetings saying that if someone did that due to state reprocity there is not much we can do about it.

From 3rd hand reports from a few people the California highway patrol has pulled over AZ licensed UTV's and looked at all of their stuff, insurance, equipment and said have a nice day.

Edited by SandBlasted

:dope: c'mon......................GET R DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dunno:

lol I'm waiting for someone from the Legislative Counsel to call me back. We have to see if we need a new law (I don't think so IMO) or just kick DMV in da :beat:

i'm up for some dmv :dunno: kicking, need to get this going. saw an arizona registered rhino at amargosa this weekend. he didnt have a windshield. it was registered as a motorcycle.

I agree.

Survive-ability ( ya i just made that word up ) in a crash in a rhino would be WAY higher than on any bike and / or friggin moped . Or a trike for that matter. already have 4 point belts in all 4 seats . Put a cross bar across the door opening, and you are way more protected than a motorcycle with side car , or even some of these cheesey a$$ jap job cars on the road. I'd roll mine to work on a daily ,considering gas just hit 4 bucks a galllon !!!! :dunno:

license plate lite

signals

winder shield ( redneck word)

already got horn, headlamps( HID in fact)

two words........ git er done!!! ya thats 3 , anyway u get the fuggin point !!!!! :dope::beat::censored:

i'm not sure you would need a windshield if its registered as a motorcycle. just a helmet.and the turn signals are easy, just get the hotrod wiring for a model T.

i'm up for some dmv :slap: kicking, need to get this going. saw an arizona registered rhino at amargosa this weekend. he didnt have a windshield. it was registered as a motorcycle.

That will probably require a law change to get the UTV's registered as a MC. This is where I'd like to go, but I'll take whatever I can get. I don't think we need a law change for the LSV's and this is where I'm going if we have to have a new law and see if we can get something passed when the Legislature meets in '09

It's been about a week and I still have not heard back from the Legislative Counsel. I guess it's time to give them a call.

i'm not sure you would need a windshield if its registered as a motorcycle. just a helmet.and the turn signals are easy, just get the hotrod wiring for a model T.

Trikes don't need a helmet here in Nevada. Hopefully we would not need them either. If we get it on as a LSV it will need a windshield which conforms to AS-1 or AS-5 Glazing. AS-1 is glass and AS-5 is plastic, but not all plastic meets AS-5 Standards. Lexan should meet the standard, but then if the DMV wants to push it, it may have to be engraved as meeting the AS-5 standard just like any other vehicle on the road.

This is where I'm having the trouble now. I can get a company to cut me a piece of glass with the AS-1, but glass is heavier and would be harder to install and crack easier than Lexan.

Edited by SandBlasted