An argument for street legal UTV's in Nevada

SandBlasted

Survive-ability ( ya i just made that word up ) in a crash in a rhino would be WAY higher than on any bike and / or friggin moped . Or a trike for that matter. already have 4 point belts in all 4 seats . Put a cross bar across the door opening, and you are way more protected than a motorcycle with side car , or even some of these cheesey a$$ jap job cars on the road. I'd roll mine to work on a daily ,considering gas just hit 4 bucks a galllon !!!! :slap:

license plate lite

signals

winder shield ( redneck word)

already got horn, headlamps( HID in fact)

two words........ git er done!!! ya thats 3 , anyway u get the fuggin point !!!!! :dunno::barf: :chug:

If we have to get a law change we are going to have to get everyone involved with getting it done. There are to many people in Carson City worried about your safety and they feel they have been chosen by god to protect you.

We ran across this when trying to change the helmet laws for street MC's and ran across the safety factor when trying to get them on the streets as golf carts here in Boulder City. (Ours is registered now as a golf cart)

No one had any facts about golf cart injuries, they just were blabbing about something they knew nothing about. Now we have some facts.

Trikes don't need a helmet here in Nevada. Hopefully we would not need them either. If we get it on as a LSV it will need a windshield which conforms to AS-1 or AS-5 Glazing. AS-1 is glass and AS-5 is plastic, but not all plastic meets AS-5 Standards. Lexan should meet the standard, but then if the DMV wants to push it, it may have to be engraved as meeting the AS-5 standard just like any other vehicle on the road.

This is where I'm having the trouble now. I can get a company to cut me a piece of glass with the AS-1, but glass is heavier and would be harder to install and crack easier than Lexan.

Get ahold of Teron over at Team Acme...He has a windshield on his Ranger that he made and also has a frame that keeps the edges from chipping

Overall good idea Craig....

that being said, picture a bunch of 16 y/olds borrowing their parents Rhinos and creating a huge problem....

the 1st thing a law-maker would see is a bunch of kids getting killed in "ATVS" on the street...

of course, you could make that same argument with cars, I'm just playing Devs Advocate.......

far fetched? maybe...

but you're talking about one of the only state legislatures that allows felons to sit on a jury....

GOOD LUCK :mischevious:

:mischevious:

Overall good idea Craig....

that being said, picture a bunch of 16 y/olds borrowing their parents Rhinos and creating a huge problem....

the 1st thing a law-maker would see is a bunch of kids getting killed in "ATVS" on the street...

of course, you could make that same argument with cars, I'm just playing Devs Advocate.......

far fetched? maybe...

but you're talking about one of the only state legislatures that allows felons to sit on a jury....

GOOD LUCK :laughoff:

This is where we do have some stats on injuries thanks to the feds. While reporting was not done through the DMV since golf carts were not tracked by the DMV's there are stats reported through NEISS with golf carts. On road injuries were far less than off road injuries 726 reported nationwide with only 1 on road fatality, 23 on road injuries compared to 693 off road injuries for a 5 year period in golf carts.

According to the NEISS stats, it looks like the “kids” would be better off on-road.

It's just unfounded hysteria by ignorant people. We dealt with them when we tried getting golf carts on the street here in Boulder City a year or so ago. When people don’t want something new they start with the safety and children angle, something that they usually have no idea what they are talking about.

Most people when they look at a UTV compared to a GEM car or a golf cart see the UTV as being safer.

On this issue we have a lot of things going for us. Less air pollution which is a big issue here in S. Nevada, fuel prices and oil dependency.

I'm not just trying to get the UTV's on the road but also the speed modified golf carts that will meet the standards. All which will reduce the amount of fuel we use and the emissions we produce.

As anyone can tell you I'm a tree hugg'n, plant screwing lover of green. :beer_bang:

:mischevious:

When people don’t want something new they start with the safety and children angle

..my point exactly...

Hopefully, not too many state senators or assemblymen watched Party Heat last night......

doesnt exactly help the cause (to say the least)

..my point exactly...

Hopefully, not too many state senators or assemblymen watched Party Heat last night......

doesnt exactly help the cause (to say the least)

I missed that.

We will see what happens. Like I was saying earlier, I don't think we need a new law to get them registered as a LSV. I think the DMV is misusing the law from others areas not connected with the LSV law to keep us from registering them.

why is it i can buy a scooter, not register it not insure it and not required to have a helmet, but i cant get my rhino licensed legally? oh yeah that scooter better be 49cc or smaller. i need to have a disabled vehicle either registered or have a permit to even tow it with any wheels touching the ground. if u dont have the paperwork look out cause metro will pop you. also driving a piece of equipment on the streets is illegal, go figure. guess we all should get those scooters and not have to pay for insurance or registration, on top of that it gets outstanding gas mileage, so we can screw the oil conglomerates too. thanks for letting me rant.

why is it i can buy a scooter, not register it not insure it and not required to have a helmet, but i cant get my rhino licensed legally? oh yeah that scooter better be 49cc or smaller. i need to have a disabled vehicle either registered or have a permit to even tow it with any wheels touching the ground. if u dont have the paperwork look out cause metro will pop you. also driving a piece of equipment on the streets is illegal, go figure. guess we all should get those scooters and not have to pay for insurance or registration, on top of that it gets outstanding gas mileage, so we can screw the oil conglomerates too. thanks for letting me rant.

We are all ranting. I'm still waiting for someone to call me from the Legislative Council on the LSV angle. I've talked to my reps twice, I'll wait another week. I also have received a name to contact at the governors level which I intend to call tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

My Rhino is complete save the windshield. It has everything required and it will only go 25mph.

I’m setting up an email list for interested parties so we can get active about this. The email list is lsv@xoatv.com. Your email will only be used for this issue.

We may all have to start calling if we can't get any action on this.

I have placed a web page about this. I'm not the world’s best writer so if it is long winded I will accept re-writes on the subject and any other help I can get.

http://www.xopco.com/html/utv_as_lsv_-_low...ed_vehicle.html

We want people with UTV's as well as golf cart owners who are interested in getting this on.

There is an election coming up as well as 09 session if we need a new law and now is the time to act.

Email Sent To The Director Of The DMV. The Govs office put me in contact with her.

To Director Ginny Lewis

555 Wright Way

Carson City, NV 89711

From Craig Castleberry

Re: Registering UTV’s and Speed Modified Golf Carts as Low Speed Vehicles in the State of Nevada.

Dear Director Lewis. Thank you for taking the time to read our information regarding the above. At a time with high fuel prices and dependency and concerns about air quality, the Low Speed Vehicle (LSV) time has come. While we are asking to be allowed to have our Rhino UTV registered as a LSV, I would also like to address for consideration modified golf carts in general.

Our Yamaha Rhino UTV has been rebuilt to conform to federal law 571.500 and Nevada Law NRS 484.527 which we will be happy to offer to the DMV for inspection to confirm the our Rhino UTV meets the requirements set forth in law.

With the introduction of new speed limiting technology, we have digitally programmed our Rhino UTV not to exceed 25 Mph.

All of the safety requirements addressed by Federal and State law have been met by our Rhino UTV. This includes lights, brake lights, turn signals, reflectors, seat belt assemblies, mirrors and windshield that meets the AS-5 Glazing standard addressed in federal law.

Currently the DMV will not allow registering the UTV, and the reasons given are as follows.

1. The DMV does not register ATVs

The UTV is a completely different class of vehicle than a UTV and the UTV is not addressed by Nevada Law. An ATV differences are many when compared to a UTV. With an ATV, the rider straddles a seat; has a handle bar like that of a motorcycle. ATVs are not made with seat belts or roll over protection.

UTV’s have seat that you sit in same as a standard vehicle, seat belts with shoulder restraints for all occupants, steering wheel and roll over protection. They are operated with the same type of foot controls as a standard vehicle.

2. The DMV does not register off road vehicles

The DMV does register off road vehicles. A person may purchase a dirt bike that was never intended for on road use and then convert it to a dual sport motorcycle providing it is rebuilt to meet street legal requirement address in law. This includes adding speed odometer, lights and turn signals, mirrors and DOT tires. (LSV’s are not required to run DOT tires due to their low speeds.)

When this conversion is complete, the motorcycle is inspected and it is titled and registered by the DMV. We have also seen many dune buggies on the road with plates. One that runs here in Boulder City does not even have roll over protection, just a plastic windshield.

It is my opinion that if our UTV meets the requirements of a LSV then it is no longer an off road vehicle and since it meets the requirement as a LSV, the off road vehicle law that is being used against registration is not valid and should not apply.

3. The vehicle can’t be converted to a LSV, and only made a LSV by a licensed manufacture.

Nowhere in federal law or Nevada law can I find the requirement that a golf cart or any other vehicle can’t be converted by the owner. To the contrary, federal law discusses the conversion of golf carts to LSV’s and the standard for them to meet was purposefully reduced over a standard motor vehicle to keep conversion costs down. A manufacture or modifier of LSV’s has a higher standard to meet than those who would convert their own vehicles; this is purely in certification, as our Rhino UTV meets the same standards listed in law.

If an owner converts or has his golf cart or UTV, or has it converted by a modifier, it should be inspected and signed off using the RD-64 Form provided by the DMV or have it inspected at the DMV for compliance.

Considering we believe our Rhino UTV to be in full compliance with Federal Law and NRS statutes and that we are willing to have our Rhino UTV inspected by the DMV as to meeting the requirements set forth in law, the DMV should after confirming that our Rhino UTV meets those requirements, title and register our Rhino UTV as a LSV.

We are at your complete disposal in this matter and look forward to working with you on this. We are willing to bring our Rhino UTV to Carson City so you may inspect it as you see fit to your office in Carson City, or at any other DMV office you choose.

Respectfully submitted

Craig Castleberry

Exhibits

Federal Rule 500:571 CLICK

Discussions On Federal Rule 500:571 CLICK

cc: Senator W. Hardy, Assemblyman J. Hardy.

• 5 weeks later...

Senator Hardy and Assemblyman Hardy had a meeting with the DMV about the LSV registration of our Rhino.

Basically the DMV stated that if we can get a manufactures release the DMV WILL register it.

I have contacted Yamaha and asked for a Manufactures release stating that if the Yamaha Rhino is built to Federal Standard 571:500 Yamaha has no problem with it being registered as a LSV.

Yamaha stated I should hear back from them tomorrow.

On the argument front, I stated to my reps that this seems to be the only type of vehicle that needs a manufactures release.

One can buy a dirt bike and convert it to a dual sport and get it registered without a release.

If you built a kit car you don't need a release, just have to meet the basic requirements light turn signals etc and you can get it registered upon completion of the RD-64 form.

I also stated that this is not equal application of the law.

Senator Hardy wants to see what happens with Yamaha and go from there.

I'll keep you informed :)

Edited by SandBlasted

In Arizona are they being registered as a LSV?

No. In AZ they are being registered as a motorcycle.

I have written a law for the 09 session that if passed they could be licensed as a motorcycle. I have given this to our reps for consideration.

Also I have contacted an attorney for possible representation because the DMV is not applying the law equally.

I'll take what I can get for now, (LSV) but I'm going for a special construction of a motor vehicle. I'm going to see Friday if I can pass emissions testing.

Everything else I’ve done to the Rhino passes DMV special construction re-built or kit car requirements.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

october 1st utah street legalizes utv's. thhttp://www.le.state.ut.us/~2008/htmdoc/sbillhtm/SB0181S01.htme the gov. signed a bill to legalize atv's. effective oct 1st now if we can get our gov. to talk to this gov. we might get somewhere.

Edited by dusthol

october 1st utah street legalizes utv's. thhttp://www.le.state.ut.us/~2008/htmdoc/sbillhtm/SB0181S01.htme the gov. signed a bill to legalize atv's. effective oct 1st now if we can get our gov. to talk to this gov. we might get somewhere.

Well I have been asking for support if we need to get a new law passed so we can have a force of people to call our reps. I've advertised it on the web site, craigs list and here for both UTV and Golf Carts and have only about 50 names and emails so far.

Either people are not interested, or won't get involved.

This is why I'm still hoping to get them licensed as LSV's without a new law.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 years later...

I believe that UTVs should be street legal as long as it has all required lights, mirrors, directionals and can travel at least a speed of 35 mph or more. Really if you think about it they allow 49cc mopeds to legally drive on the streets around Las Vegas and everywhere else really and they have a top speed of 35 mph. Which here in Las Vegas can be quite dangerous considering the majority of roads have a 45 mph speed limit so a slow moped is just as if not more dangerous than a UTV cause they impede traffic and can cause as many accidents as speeding. At least most UTVs can travel at least 45 mph and have roll cages and seat belts so if an accident occurred your 1000 times safer in that than any moped, motorcycle, enduro and many other street legal vehicles. So I think a petition should be started to get UTVs and ATVs street legal on roadways with a max speed limit of 45 mph or less throughout all of Nevada.