Jon aka fctryblack84...

SandBox_Kid

For those of you who haven't heard my son was involved in an off-road rollover accident. Ironically they were just tooling along not hitting it hard when his buddy tapped the brakes to slow down for a wash and the rear end came around on them....the tires must have caught (or blew off the bead) and over they went. Jon suffered a serious injury to his right wrist that may leave him without the use of it, or worse.

He spent 4+ hours in surgery last night and they were able to close things up. I have been offered to see the pictures by the medical staff, but refuse to look. I don't need to see that when he is being cared for. Had I rolled up on the scene...I would have assisted in any way including dressing the wound. The extent of the damage is bad. He fractured the outer bone...chipped the inner bone badly....lost both minor arteries....cut all of his tendons except for his thumb...peeled a 4" piece of flesh from completely around his wrist...and obviously has no feeling in his fingers due to severed nerves. If he was a smaller dude....I'm positive his hand would have been torn off.

Currently there is no pulse in his hand...but there is capillary refill.....meaning there is circulation in his hand. We are hoping for another surgery to begin the repair process. He was up today and cracking a smile at my sarcastic jokes, but the pain must be intolerable (believe me I have seen it first hand). I have never seen my son in this much pain, and I hope to never have to see that again. They had a little trouble managing his pain today cause apparently morphine does nothing for him, but they now have it under control...we hope.

At this point it is just a waiting game for the next 18+ hours.

Please keep him in your prayers....send him some good chi......and positive vibes. That's all we ask. He will need his friends and family to keep his spirits high during what I am sure is going to be a long road to recovery....and if you don't have anything positive to add....please just don't add it here.

Lessons learned....and things you will not see me without at the dunes:

WRIST RESTRAINTS ARE A MUST IN OUR SPORT!!!

I already know some of you use them...and I am not going on a crusade to tell everyone to wear helmets (yes he actually had one on) or wrist restraints......just please be safe out there.

FYI - Thank God he is left-handed....cause I'm not wiping his :freakin_nuts: ....a firehose would have to do. j/k

I will post when I can....and thank you for all the kind words I have already recieved from our dune family.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again... I'm so sorry to hear of the horrible news, Gerald. I really hope they can repair the damage. I feel really bad for Jon and the pain he must be in. Broken bones and injuries of that nature are very painfull. Been there doen that, but never anything that bad. He's a good spirited kid though and will do just fine regardless of what happens. Please send him my best and tell him we are all thinking of him.

It's crazy how things happen out there. You just never know sometimes. Luckily he wasn't injured any worse than he was and his injuries aren't life-threatening.

Couple questions...

What hospital is he at? And can we pay him a visit sometime this week?

GET WELL SOON, JON! :freakin_nuts: :beercheers: Please let us know if you need anything at all.

As I said Gerald, our thoughts are with you all. ANYTHING you guys need, just call. Tell Jon if he recovers fully I'll pay for the midget stripper!

I'll be sure to let him know. Thank you for the kind offer. Maybe a :beerbong: when I can drop my guard.

I hope your son gets better real fast. It sucks that something at slow speed can mess you just as bad as high speed.

There's another lesson there Joephat65...things can happen when you least expect it.

It's crazy how things happen out there. You just never know sometimes. Luckily he wasn't injured any worse than he was and his injuries aren't life-threatening.

Couple questions...

What hospital is he at? And can we pay him a visit sometime this week?

GET WELL SOON, JON! :freakin_nuts: :beercheers: Please let us know if you need anything at all.

I hear you on the life threatening issues....and that's what I focus on to get us through.

He is at Sunrise hospital....and tomorrow may be best. I had to cut off visiting today due to the amount of pain he is in.

Fuggin Nick! :hello::blah::banghead::barf:

Laughes are always that much better in times like these. I know Gerald got a good one from that pic. :lol::beercheers:

:blah: If I ever did anything right by my son...that is definately one of them. Thanks for the laugh Nick.

Sorry to here about your son's accident and hope it's a fast recovery.A accident happend too a freind of mine about 3 year ago, kind of the same thing and he's doing great wright how... Just the amazing things doctors can do these days

Sunrise is the off maryland and DI right? Any particular hours? Ill give you a ring gerald before i head that direction tomorrow.. I'll bring some reading material to keep him occupied.. Sand Sports, Dirt Riders, Sand Addictions, even a jc whitney catalog if he wants that lol.

WOW sorry to hear about that hope he has a good recovery !

by the way what were they in rhino / truck :freakin_nuts:

Of all the bad-a$$ bowties he could have been in....it was a friggen biller ranger. (don't jump on me about the biller comment till you see my son's bill) :D Hopefully I'll have the pics soon....the ranger didn't look all that good.

It still reminds me of the rhino accidents before they started putting in leg restraints.

Sunrise is the off maryland and DI right? Any particular hours? Ill give you a ring gerald before i head that direction tomorrow.. I'll bring some reading material to keep him occupied.. Sand Sports, Dirt Riders, Sand Addictions, even a jc whitney catalog if he wants that lol.

Yes it is and the material would be nice. Please give me a call first....so I know where and how he is. Currently he is in ICU and should be there tomorrow.

Yeash Gerald, :freakin_nuts: That doesn't sound good at all.

I've been thinkin' about Jon and you guys all day. :(

I've been praying for you guys to pull through this. :praying:

And have been Thanking God for giving us the ability to build our technology to deal with situations like Jon's.

Thanks for keeping us updated Gerald.

Also:

I'll pitch-in for the stripper foe schizzz. :beercheers:

And a case of Charmin for you Gerald. :beercheers:

You're cool peeps Jon. Hang in there bud. :blah:

Please let us know if we can help you guys.

R-