Dumont entrance road updates

dunefreak

Post up your thoughts of the condition of the entrance road. That way we'll all have an idea of what to expect next trip out if it's not too long after the last post. If you happen grab any pics, post em up as well.

We'll just keep it going so we have a place to go to in order to check it.... :shake: I know some people like knowing. ;)

I'm thinking this would be a good system to use:

A rating: smooth, little to no washboard, recently graded, able to do the 25 mph speed limit without rattling your rig to death

B rating: slight washboard in some areas, able to do 15-25 mph but having to slow down for some rough areas

C rating: rough and washboarded most or all of the way, but no potholes, less than 15 mph

D rating: potholes, bad washboard, less than 10 mph

F rating: crap, need we say more? ok fine...huge potholes, washboard, even full of whoops at times, you know how bad it can get

Last weekend it was in very good condition. BLM graded it late last week and I thought it was an "A" rating for a dirt road. 

post-3-1223357786_thumb.jpg

i would say A-/B+ territory, as there were small washboards, causing us to swerve to the other side of the road at times

HOWEVER

i have seen it much worse,, and it was a pleasure to drive that road in the condition it was in. i have only seen it better on one occasion

And that was probably before they put that crap down :beercheers::dunno:

Capt

Just got back and the roads nice, I did 50 mph the whole way with only a slight washboard.

It was horrible going in....c-, d+. Not quite as bad coming out, about a c. Nothing like going twice the posted speed brit...derrr.

Wow, 50, NICE! :think::thumbsdown::bawl::thumb:

Who cares??? There was no-one on the road and I wasnt towing sh*t.

Just for more ammo I hardley dropped under 100 the whole way on the freeway and hit 130 at one point :broke:

This is the only way to roll to the dunes ...

DSCF0872.jpg

Edited by britincali

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back this weekend and I would give the road in a C. It was washboard from start to finish. Since I don't want to rattle my MH to death, I was only able to do about 10 mph the whole way in. There were people who did pass me, but they were in trucks with trailers or toyhaulers. So I guess depending on what your driving will determine your thoughts on the road, but I give it a C.

heard if from a friend....who knows a guy..that has a cousin...that the road will be paved soon..contract

signed last week...company out of pahrumph will do the work :ah:

I highly doubt it. Per Mike Trost (BLM maintenance)- the road will never be paved. It would cost millions of dollars to pave over 3 miles of roadway. That is nowhere in the BLM's budget. Your friend's cousin's dog's roomate's buddy might be referring to another load of recycled asphalt that will be layed down and rolled. It will be better if they do that, but will still be far from being paved. ;)

Yep here's the latest.... ;)

nope, no paving...there will be some road work, but it's hardening the

areas that were worked on recently, the new lanes for the fee entrance

changes and the rerouted road up the hill and the new helipad area. No

pavement, just base to harden those areas that are a little too soft.

Lets see 3 miles of road at minimum 24' wide that would be 380,160 Sqft and assume they pave it with 4" asphalt depth. That would be about +$4.80 a sqft. that is $1,824,768 to pave. that is just the cost of the asphalt.

Then add the preparation of the base, mobilization fees, water fees, environmental fees, you are looking at $5 million of work!

This is just off the top of my head, could be more could be less.

Lets see 3 miles of road at minimum 24' wide that would be 380,160 Sqft and assume they pave it with 4" asphalt depth. That would be about +$4.80 a sqft. that is $1,824,768 to pave. that is just the cost of the asphalt.

Then add the preparation of the base, mobilization fees, water fees, environmental fees, you are looking at $5 million of work!

Hmm what do u do for a living :dunno::crackhead::crackhead::usa: LOL

Sounds about right, Typically it cost about 1 million per mile :dunno:

You're a Dork :usa::dunno:

Is there an echo in here?

I highly doubt it. Per Mike Trost (BLM maintenance)- the road will never be paved. It would cost millions of dollars to pave over 3 miles of roadway. That is nowhere in the BLM's budget. Your friend's cousin's dog's roomate's buddy might be referring to another load of recycled asphalt that will be layed down and rolled. It will be better if they do that, but will still be far from being paved. ;)

Tim just had to give us the detailed dork version. :usa::dunno:

Is there an echo in here?

Tim just had to give us the detailed dork version. :usa::dunno:

Left the D this am at 9am. Pulling a 40' Toyhouse and doing 25 with no problems. Could have done more but that really screws up the road. Lots of dust!! There was a grader yesterday across from the Ranger Station. They must have graded it late yesterday or this morning. It was in great shape. Let's see how long it lasts. BG

Left the D this am at 9am. Pulling a 40' Toyhouse and doing 25 with no problems. Could have done more but that really screws up the road. Lots of dust!! There was a grader yesterday across from the Ranger Station. They must have graded it late yesterday or this morning. It was in great shape. Let's see how long it lasts. BG

Contrary to mdthlfa, I came in last week and really got beat up by the washboard conditions. I left on Oct 1st and it was a 15 mph trip for me in my truck and 26' toyhauler. I've seen it better. But then mdthlfa has a rig that will smooth out the road to hell!!! :laughing::headbang1:

I think the grader never saw the road. I think it was there to smooth out the gravel they dropped at the ranger site :DDRrocks:

Edited by SANDAWG