Dumont entrance road updates

dunefreak

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, VegasSparky said:

Thanksgiving, and NYE weekend the road was as smooth as could be asked for!!

Cool to see grader dude workin on NYD. ;)

Was it the actual road grader or a large truck pulling a triangle type grader?

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Was it the actual road grader or a large truck pulling a triangle type grader?

An actual grader that was posted up at the Ranger Station. I saw it out twice over the NYE weekend along with the water truck. The road was very smooth on the way out on NYD. I was able to drive the post 25 MPH without the MH vibrating the cabinets open!

• Like 1

Ok, was just wondering if the BLM ever uses the piece of equipment they brought with our money(user fees) either last year or the yr. before. It is a pull behind a 1-ton truck that tills the road and than re-lays the dirt back in and smooths it out. Just curious as to where the money is going.

• 2 months later...

That road is awful. Pretty sure nothing has been done to it since president's day weekend. It's down to that concrete mix stuff from years ago... wash-boarded out everyplace that isn't that concrete mix. You think with the clean up weekend, this past weekend, BLM would have made the effort to do something with that road, to show the people volunteering to keep our dunes clean that they care about our efforts... boo on the BLM :thumbsdown: I watched as they packed up and were leaving before the event was even over, couldn't get out of there fast enough, and no one was there when we left to check our passes or wrist bands. :shake: :(

Edited by sand chick

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2018 at 3:06 PM, ynot said:

Ok, was just wondering if the BLM ever uses the piece of equipment they brought with our money(user fees) either last year or the yr. before. It is a pull behind a 1-ton truck that tills the road and than re-lays the dirt back in and smooths it out. Just curious as to where the money is going.

I've not seen them use it yet, every time i see them grading it's with the old grader. 

• Thumbs Down 1

• 5 months later...

Lignin Sulfonate (AKA "Lig") would work quite well on the entrance road. It's a byproduct of the wood industry. It's kind of a sprayable tree sap. The road is freshly graded and the Lig is sprayed on. When the liquid dries, the sap remains. It really makes a hard surface.  For a year or two the road would take on the properties of pavement. It binds the dirt particles together and keeps the road from washboarding and keeps down the dust. It's probably around $8000 per mile to treat. After treatments would be less. It's EPA approved and environmentally friendly.

You would drive into Dumont with a clean, damage-free RV. 

• 4 weeks later...

Got here a couple hours ago. I give the road a D.

It gets better toward the end. Some pretty decent sized pot holes along the whole thing. Keep an eye out, around the last right hand bend before the river crossing there's a big hole on the right side of the road. Good thing I was hauling ass down the left side. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DuNe~Rydher said:

Got here a couple hours ago. I give the road a D.

It gets better toward the end. Some pretty decent sized pot holes along the whole thing. Keep an eye out, around the last right hand bend before the river crossing there's a big hole on the right side of the road. Good thing I was hauling ass down the left side. 

Only hauling ass at 25 MPH of course.... :driver:

• 3 months later...

Just got back, entrance road was freshly graded over the weekend (grader started Friday morning).  The left side of the road (when entering) had been left very loose, with about 2-3" of sand/loose soft dirt.  Nonetheless was very smooth and dusty.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 9/30/2019 at 3:16 PM, DirtBikeGuy said:

Just went out on Friday, let me tell you that road is BEAT!!!! 

I just got back from a week of running around SoCal. 

Every road from Pomona to Dana Point is beat. The entrance road might be better than a lot of those surface streets!!!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, DirtBikeGuy said:

:whoop:    <-------   This is what that road currently feels like hahah

It does. 

I have a motorhome. Even on a smooth road it sounds like it's coming apart. Dishes, the stove and who knows what else rattles and squeaks!

The way the road is now, I have no doubt it would leave a trail of parts... 🎃

If you're behind a motorhome and wonder why they are going so slow on the Dumont road, it's because it feels like it's going to break. Hahaha!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2