Dumont entrance road updates

dunefreak

I spoke with a local blm ranger and he said they had to use a private contractor for road maintenance because the normal operator is on light duty. He said they are supposed to start maintenance a few days before the holiday weekend but he couldn't guarantee it. I was out there today and I can agree that it has been the worst I've seen it in my 17 years of duning. 

I'm faced with do I wash my RV or not? Either way it will be trashed by the time I reach camp.

I don't know how BLM works, but what about a decent chip sealed road. Maybe pay a surcharge until the bonds are paid off?

We either pay for a decent road or pay for repairs to our RV's. Do we want to pay from our right pocket, or left?

Edited by Svengoolie

If everyone would drive the posted speed limit  the road would stay in a lot better shape  the people think they need to drive 50 miles an hour down a 25 mile an hour's Road  and that's what tears it up

On 10/12/2008 at 11:26 AM, britincali said:

Just got back and the roads nice, I did 50 mph the whole way with only a slight washboard.

On 10/12/2008 at 11:26 AM, britincali said:

Just got back and the roads nice, I did 50 mph the whole way with only a slight washboard.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm a heavy equipment operator specializing in grading and maintaining dirt roads. I spent 20 years in the mountains of Colorado caring for gravel and dirt roads

Anyway...

Washboards. This is what makes washboards. You are moving along, on the throttle, and your tire hits a minor road imperfection. A small bump. Not even enough for you to notice. For a split second, your drive wheel gets light as it moves "up" after hitting the bump. As it moves up as a result of the bump, the weight is removed for just a  moment.. As the weight is removed, the tire slips. it spins slightly. Then, while spinning, it lands on the road surface. takes out a small bite of dirt and deposits that dirt on top of the bump that caused the tire to slip in the first place. Now that bump, or high spot, it a little higher than it was, and the low spot where the tire landed is a little lower. 

After 10 vehicles, the divot, or low spot is noticeably lower. And when the tire hits the "end" of the low spot, it's another bump. The tire again looses traction for a moment and spins, then lands and takes out another bite of dirt. There are now two washboards. 

Multiply this by a thousand vehicles and there are whole sections of washboards. It's also called corrugation. 

What helps? 

Using 4WD even though it's not necessary spreads the torque from the engine across more tires will help any one tire from momentarily losing traction. 

Not allowing wheel spin is the key.

This also applies to SXS's. 

If you noticed, SxS's really trash trails. People rarely use 4WD because they seem to do well in 2WD. Because of the knobby tires, they make huge funky washboards. I'm sure you have noticed on trails and in the sand too. Using 4WD will help keep things from getting as bumpy.

Whoops are washboards that have grown. They are formed the same way. 

There are treatments available. But those take some effort and a little bit of money. Treating the road to Dumont does not buy votes so I don't expect anything. 

Spraying the road with Lignin sulfonate after grading will bind the dirt particles together. Lignin sulfonate is tree sap. A waste product from the wood industry. 

It stops the road from washboarding and eliminates the dust. The tree sap is mixed with a thinner (often salt water is used) and sprayed from a truck. The water evaporates and the tree sap is left behind.

If you ever got pine sap on your hand, you remember how sticky and hard to remove it was. 

Back in Colorado, I helped people get their dirt roads treated. No one likes dust or washboards. The money for paving wasn't practical for a few rural ranches or homes.

So when they came out to complain to me about the dust, I quietly (wink wink) told them to complain to the EPA, (but leave me out of it)

I advised them about the health risks of breathing road dust. The term for airborne road dust is "fugitive dust"

"Irritation to the eyes, nose and throat.  Respiratory distress, including coughing, difficulty in breathing and chest tightness.  Increased severity of bronchitis, asthma and emphysema.  Heart attacks and aggravated heart disease.  Premature death in individuals with serious lung or heart disease. Fugitive dust can also reduce visibility (i.e., cause hazy conditions) which can result in driving or work-site accidents."

Fugitive dust is also called "PM" (Particulate matter) 

PM10 is the dust that is hazardous. 10 stands for 10 microns and smaller. That is the size that sticks in your lungs and causes health issues. 

CARB (california air resources board) issues grants to treat roads.

I have NO IDEA what they are doing with the Dumont user fees collected, but I know it's not going back into Dumont. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 3/1/2016 at 6:26 PM, Sandemon said:

The new road grader is in, sorry about the bad pictures my cell phone does not take the best pics. Pete if you can fix the upside down one I'd appreciate it.

post-3-0-24799500-1456893835_thumb.jpg

post-809-0-47933800-1456885436_thumb.jpg

post-809-0-07951100-1456885393_thumb.jpg

post-809-0-69849200-1456885355_thumb.jpg

post-809-0-08846900-1456884917_thumb.jpg

Do we know what happened to this plan????