OFF ROADER FOUND DEAD AT DUMONT DUNES

randyvw

I hope everyone plays it safe until they get lines they know set. I have been laughed at by friends (?) because I tend to take it easy over a razor until I know what lies beyond. I will take that every time over a stupid mishap or fatality. This sport is dangerous without exposing ourselves to the unknown that we know about. An accident can occur at any time. I know at any moment a lapse in judgement could result in a tragic accident. Play it safe peeps. A dune season is only as good as the responsible peeps allow. Good times for all of our peeps ! :think:

I was actually out there myself thisd weekend. With florida boy. We woke up about 6 am or so and noticed the side by side up there. We took a look through the bynos and could see no one and figured it was out of gas or someone watching the sun rise on the back side of the dune. Not long after that some guys took a ride up there and the crowd began to gather. By the time I got around to gearing up I took a cruise up there to see what was up. As I approached to the left of the UTV the guys waived me aside to pass by. My buddy then pulled up beside me and left me no room to turn back down hill ooopps. So I was stuck and went ahead and looked back to notice him lying on his back arms crossed over forehead and obviously passed on. Yes it was a Razor I had a very up close look it looked as if he launched out of a witch eye poining towards the main rd and nose dived into the face of the hill ejecting him from the vehicle. I cant help but wondering what could have happened had I only gone up there to check it out when I woke up. Was he still alive? From what I am hearing about the situation it sounds like no but who knows. My thoughts go out to his family, and I know it doesnt help much but at least he went doing what he loved. And as said before always ride in numbers and always wear your gear and saftey straps. Not worth it to get in a hurry it will still be there when you get there.

I was actually out there myself thisd weekend. With florida boy. We woke up about 6 am or so and noticed the side by side up there. We took a look through the bynos and could see no one and figured it was out of gas or someone watching the sun rise on the back side of the dune. Not long after that some guys took a ride up there and the crowd began to gather. By the time I got around to gearing up I took a cruise up there to see what was up. As I approached to the left of the UTV the guys waived me aside to pass by. My buddy then pulled up beside me and left me no room to turn back down hill ooopps. So I was stuck and went ahead and looked back to notice him lying on his back arms crossed over forehead and obviously passed on. Yes it was a Razor I had a very up close look it looked as if he launched out of a witch eye poining towards the main rd and nose dived into the face of the hill ejecting him from the vehicle. I cant help but wondering what could have happened had I only gone up there to check it out when I woke up. Was he still alive? From what I am hearing about the situation it sounds like no but who knows. My thoughts go out to his family, and I know it doesnt help much but at least he went doing what he loved. And as said before always ride in numbers and always wear your gear and saftey straps. Not worth it to get in a hurry it will still be there when you get there.

Wow, it's more and more sad when additional details unfold. :( Sounds like it was a case of a very bad judgement call on his part and definitley a lack of safety gear being worn. (and possibley alcohol as mentioned before)

If it makes you feel any better, authorities mentioned that the coroner said he passed away sometime around midnight/ 1am. I doubt there is anything anyone could do by that time of the morning (after 6am). :(

Its really a shame that this might not have had to be a fatality. Had he had someone else around, could of possibly survived. Its very upsetting to think he laid there all night.

Please please please take precautions, DONT GO OUT ALONE. Very sad situation. I truly hope he didnt suffer prior to passing.

Not your situation Quadracer. This scene was put into play without your knowledge. Don't overthink it man. Keep your thoughts pure and always know if you could have done something you would have. Shiat happens and I think anyone who dunes could tell you a horrible story or one that could have been. Peace to a fellow duner and peace to you brother.

i haven'tseen the D with my own eyes yet...but from everybodys observations it sounds like the dunes are pretty wicked so far...

very sad story...

careful everybody.

Ive pretty much come to the understanding that I couldnt have done much of anything in the way of helping the guy, it's the fact that I sat there eating cherios and Bs ing for two hours wondering why this razor was just sitting there????

The dunes are really scarey this season, there are a ton of witches eyes in the weirdest normally smooth spots. Stuff like this is tragic but you should never ride alone, especially at night and especially after drinking.

Condolences to all involved.

I was there Fri night camped out at outhouse 5. I got up about 1:20 or so and saw the lights on the dune & didn't think for a second that some was hurt much less had died. When I got up in the morning my brother noticed and said look someones up there, I replied "ya they've been up there all night". Still I didn't think much of it. Shortly afterword we noticed the emergancy vehicles.

Very sad.

YA KNOW THIS IS GOING TO SOUND KINDA d*ck BUT MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYRS ARE WITH THE FAMILEY, BUT I KNOW I WOULDENT LET ONE OF MY FRIENDS GO OUT BY HIS SELF IN THE DARK AFTER HE WAS DRINKING. A LITTLE COMMON SENCE COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS. LETS MAKE THIS A SAFE SEASON.

a passerby found an off-roader who was killed at dumont on saturday, officials said. 8am saturday someone reported a man had been found dead in an overturned sand-rail, patially ejected, according to chp. jeffery wayne ebner was his name. a 37 y/o resident of folsom. another tragic accident. my thoughts and prayers to another fallen duner.

Jeff was my friend. I use to work with him. I just found out today about it. My prayers go out to his family. :hello:

I dont think I'll be doing to much night driving this Halloween weekend (atleast in the hills) im just gonna be hanging in the flats for the trips to Comp. to watch the crazy's.

Any followers?

:hello::driver: Yep, same here. Night runs are always dangerous as hell...especially when the dunes are the way they are right now! :driver:

Jeff was my friend. I use to work with him. I just found out today about it. My prayers go out to his family. :whoop:

Sorry for your loss. :(

Ebner,

Your personality could light up a room. You touched the lives of so many people and you will be truely missed. You have accomplished so much in such a short period of time. I know our paths will cross again someday, and although I only new you for a short time it was a good time. The next time I see you we will be riding bikes in the desert, or out on the open road taking a qucik ride to street vibrations in Reno. May your heart rest in peace, and you wont be forgotten. As the saying goes legends are remembered and heros are never forgotten.

Thanks for the time we had.

Bruce Morrow

I have been reading the post about the accident. Just to clear up some things, several of us were scheduled to camp with the riders which included Jeff Ebner. The riders went out Friday instead of the scheduled Sunday. We got the call on Saturday about Jeff, and we all went out as scheduled as that it what Jeff would have wanted. Our older group has been going to the dunes since 1984 and we have a policy not to ride after dark, alone! or while drinking!. Of course we all do stupid things. The two who were with Jeff on Friday night got into an argument with him about riding late and after drinking, but Jeff was a 100% give it all guy and so excited about his second trip to the Dunes, could not wait. He did wait until the others had gone to bed and then went out. They did not know he had left camp. Unfortunately they are also the ones who found him. Jeff was a safe guy, even while drinking and we believe he got stuck in the witches eye and after getting out of the RZR, it began to roll and when he tried to stop it got his upper body caught in it. It appeared that his neck got broke. We do not believe he was thown out, it seems his lower body when then be either in or near the RZT not his upper body. Jeff was a great guy and will be missed by his closed friends and his family very much. It was a tragic accident and I hope many learn from this about safety, and never never ride alone. The dunes will never be the same for me, I will always remember Jeff riding the dunes, a happy guy, doing what he loved. RIDE SAFE.

This is an absolutely horrible accident that could have been prevented. But as we all know, we all do stupid sh*t (I have done plenty) and sometimes it comes back to bite us. We can all take some relief that Jeff passed doing something that he loved, whether you knew him or not ( which I didnt) it still helps ease the pain. It's always sad to hear of someone so loved and admired going to the other side.

May Jeff rest in peace and my sincere condolences to his friends and family. I am very sorry for your loss.

Ian

For those of you that have speculated what happened to Jeff Ebner in the fatal accident Saturday morning, none of us will ever know exactly what happened to Jeff. Jeff, who can not tell us and GOD are the only ones who know what really happened the rest is just theory. Maybe Jeff should not have been out there by himself, but it was a tragic accident. Some times you can not always make your friends and family do what you think is the best, they do what they want to and this is what happened Sat. Jeff was a very special person and will never be forgotten by those of us that knew him. He could meet someone for the first time and make that person feel like family. He lived alot in the short 37 years he was alive and he lived his short life to the fullest. That was the way Jeff liked it. There are very few people in this world that can make anyone he meets feel so good about life in general. He shared this with any one that was willing to be around him. We will all miss Jeff terribly, but he will never be forgotten and will always be in the hearts of the people fortunate enough to have met him. We love you, Jeff, and I know you will be in Dumont with us each time we go.

Jeff sounds like he was a great guy. For those who knew him, I'm very sorry for your loss. You all seem to have a good attitude towards the unfortunate situation and that is exactly what you have to do in times like this. Whenever someone important to you passes on, you have to focus on the positive impact that they had on you and everyone's lives. It sounds like he will be very missed by many but his spirit will live forever.

Do you guys maybe have a picture of Jeff for those of us who never got the chance to meet him?